B&W PM1s or QUAD ESL 2905

carebare47

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've been reading the forums for a while but this is my first post. I am planning on upgrading my hi-fi set-up. Currently I have a a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100, and a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis Two speakers connected in series with some Pioneer CS-545s. I can't find much info on the CS-545s, my dad bought them 25+ years ago. The amplifier is a Pioneer SA-510 which is slightly older than the speakers but still works great.

I have been looking at the Quad ESL 2905s, and B&W PM1s. The room they'll go in is only 3.5m by 4m. The music I listen to is progressive rock (Pink Floyd is my favorite), some metal, classical, folk, and psychadelic trance (Infected muchroom). I am not sure whether to buy the B&Ws or save for the QUADs, I'm not sure which amplifier would compliment them best and I don't know if I need to upgrade my DAC or not. I am open to suggestions for other speakers too. I haven't listened to either the Quads or the B&Ws yet, does anyone know somewhere in the South-West of England where I can demo them?

Cheers,

Tom

matthewpiano

You have picked extremely different speakers there, but both will require very high quality amplification to get the best out of them. They probably won't work at their best with the same amplification either, so you have a lot of listening to do to discover the type of sound you really want for the long term. The Quads will need a lot of space to give their best as well.

You need to start by finding a really good dealer. Not necessarily based on whether they stock the speakers you mention, but based on them having a good range of stock, friendly staff who can help to focus your search, and good demonstration facilities in-store as well as the option for a home demo once you start to focus on one set-up in particular.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think your problem will be finding a dealer who stocks those 2 speakers. Go to the speaker man. website and check their dealers in your area.

To get the best out of those speakers you will prob. need to look at amps. around the £1,500 mark. Not sure they would be suitable for your room either, I would certainly want a home demo

carebare47

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good hi-fi dealer? There is a richer sounds nearby who I have had previous good dealings with but they don't stock what I'm after. I'm not after both, just one pair of high end speakers that's suitable for the room, with appropriate amplification.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, you may not find a dealer who sells both brands of speakers, but what I would suggest is finding dealers who sell the speakers you mentioned and then also go and listen to some ATC's and PMC's. You will find they all have different characters and it will be a good way of creating a short list of possibles for further demo or home demo.

I also like infected Mushroom. Great music. You want a speaker with great timing to make the most of it.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
carebare47 said:
Thanks for the quick replies. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good hi-fi dealer? There is a richer sounds nearby who I have had previous good dealings with but they don't stock what I'm after. I'm not after both, just one pair of high end speakers that's suitable for the room, with appropriate amplification.

I would steer clear of Richer S, they stack it high sell it quick type of salesroom, I did have a demo at one of their branches, not impressed at all although the room was not too bad. Not exactly sure wheree you are there are hifi dealers in towns like Truro, Poole etc. I would find a Quad dealer and contact them for a demo. tell what speakers you want to hear and let them suggest alternatives. Book 1.5 hours and take a wide range of familiar music with you. I always take music that tests high notes (drum cymbals) and bass (bass guitar/double bass) these are 2 elements that for me need to be right.

I would check some cheaper speakers also, you may find that you get the right amp/speaker combo for around £2,500-£3,000. What amp do you have now?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
BigH said:
What amp do you have now?

carebare47 said:
... The amplifier is a Pioneer SA-510 which is slightly older than the speakers but still works great...

Always glad to help! :grin:

Thanks, well it may seem OK with your current speakers but you may need something far better to get the best out of those high end speakers, I would seriously consider changing both amp and speakers, take your amp. to the demo and compare the diffirence.

carebare47

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
When I said I'm not after both I meant both speakers, I'm planning on getting a new amp too I'm just not sure which one. I live in Plymouth, I don't mind getting trains to hi-fi showrooms. I'll begin assembling a range of music to take with me. I'll make sure I listen to some PMCs and ATCs too. Does anyone have any amplifier recommendations?

Thanks for all the advice!

stavvy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Might be worth heading to the Bristol Show next month. I head the PM1s a few years ago there and they did sound absolutely beautiful (in my opinion anyway). Can't garauntee PM1s will be used by any of the manufacturer's there though. Maybe worth contacting AudioT who organise the show and explain you are interested in these speakers, may be able to tell you if any of the exhibitors will be showing off their amps/sources using these speakres.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Re amp you need to try a few out, this is where a good dealer comes in, this may take some time to find the right combination. You may have to go somewhere like Southampton or Bristol or Exeter to find a dealer/s who stock what you want.

Why have you picked out B&W and Quad speakers?

Yes Bristol show would be a good idea.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Tom,

welome to the forums!

We're happy to help - could you give me an idea of your budget? Where will the speakers be positioned - in free space or up against a wall? Would you consider more conventional floorstanders? As has already been mentioned these are two very different types of speaker, both of which would require careful partnering. If you can provide a bit more information that would be great.

cheers,

Andy

hone_u2

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tom,

Wow! That choice isn't only between two different speakers or types, but you're looking at speakers from radically different price ranges and very different sonic signatures!

Out of the choice, I'd say PM1s are great value for money (extremely hungry for power though), the only problem I had with them was that I felt due to the size of the cone, they couldn't handle complex music at higher volumes very well, crank it up slightly more and it was absolutely chaotic for me... i tried this with a variety of amps... So you might want to think before playing progressive rock through them, it didn't even do well with Amused to death for me... They have great timing and a fluent sense of rhythm and loads of clarity and detail when at moderate volumes, but when you start enjoying and want more and turn it up, all goes haywire!

The Quads will be good although i'm not sure if your room is big enough for them... They really need room!

If you are willing to spend the amount for the PM1s or the Quads, as Matt mentioned before... I think you shouldn't make a decision before listening to the ATCs (SCM 11s/19s and some of their amazing Active stuff) or the PMCs... For the kind of music you listen to, these speakers will bring out the details and nuances... The only thing is that since they make monitors, the response as some may call it would be 'brutally honest', something that I personally enjoy though...

Whatever it is, use your own ears to decide! As we all know how subjective and personal hifi is! :)

All the best! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts