B&W PM1 SPEAKERS - AUDIO MARMITE -?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
News story here for those whom missed it:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/bw-pm1-makes-its-world-debut

They sounded very promising at the launch - as far as you can ever tell in those circumstances; will be interesting to give them a full workout when we get a review pair soon.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
will defo have a listen to these! loved the sound of the 805 diamonds but at almost £4000 are just a little too high for my budget atm!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Something is wrong with me.. I do not like the looks at all.. I am tempted but resisting to call them Ugly.. I guess it has to do with disproportionate size of the speaker vs the external tweeter on top.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Frank

You seem to know a lot, can I rack your brains? I am looking for a decent speaker package that both looks and sounds good for music and home cinema. I think the CM8's are a little bulky for my room so was thinking the XT8's but these are now discontinued. Do you know if the KEF T305's are any good? Or have any suggestions?

Thanks

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm not overly keen on the look myself, but I know Nautilus fans will be liking them :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wish I was Frank - I'd have retired long ago!

There's quite a difference between XT and CM's to the KEF T series - if you want high quality music (as good as the T's are), you'll need to be looking at more conventional hi-fi speakers.

Similarly priced, have a look at monitor Audio's GX series. If you look at the GX200's, GXC150, and GXFX. I haven't heard the whole package yet as models are coming through in bits and bobs, but the GX200's we have are really starting to sing now, and are far better than I expected. With the amount of detail they have, they should work very well with movies too. The GX200's are quite slim, probably about the same as the XT's and CM8's, but will be a little deeper - cabinet volume is important to loudspeakers that use small drive units. Musically, there really isn't anything smaller that's going to match up to the likes of the CM8's and GX200's, unless you look at the likes of the PMC Fact 8's, but they're even deeper. The best suggestion I can come up with would be to have a look at the Monitor Audio Apex system.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can certainly see where everyone is coming from in the looks department. Personally I quite like them! I used to have a "thing" for the CDM range and this is kind of a cross between that and the 800 series! Proof will be in the pudding when we get to listen to some I guess, bring on the end of the month.

A

Anonymous

This THING you you used to have is it catching ?
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Hello David , read somwhere [can,t find it again] that there would be another finish maroon maybe, at a later date. Would that be correct ? Also when are you hoping to obtain your stock ?

A

Anonymous

Thank you Clare. Stupid me can,t see what, s in front of me [ doh]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
Hello David , read somwhere [can,t find it again] that there would be another finish maroon maybe, at a later date. Would that be correct ? Also when are you hoping to obtain your stock ?

Clare has already answered the first question... We're informed our demo stock should be here sometime this week :D

They'll be running in about 7 feet away from me, so I'll let you know how they get on.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm....I love these speakers. If I was after a set of £2k speakers I would definately short list these! They look amazing in the Mocha finish we have and we played Jackson Browne's The Naked Way Home album and they were pretty impressive. Leaving them to settle before listening again at any great length.

A

Anonymous

Anyone seen or know when the Burgundy finish will be available ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They fit the 'small high quality monitor' tag very, very well. They seem to love rock, and are nicely balanced with a decently strong bass for such a small speaker with such a small driver, although i doubt they'll be purchased for their bass depth. Treble and midrange are great - very solid and detailed. You can definitely hear the difference the 'offboard tweeter' makes in comparison to the CM series.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts