B&W PM1 disaster!!

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a pair of stellar looking PM1's and unpacked them on my lounge floor.First I assembled the matching stands,screwed the speakers to the top plates,carefully laid them down with their grilles on facing the plush carpet to enable running the cables inside the stands.All sound ok so far?
Next I stood them up and placed them about 500mm out from the lounge rear wall and....OMG! Even though I had been extremely careful and had both the driver and tweeter grilles in place i had crushed the soft dome tweeters on both of them |(

So much for the stupid 'protection grilles' and even more stupid new PM1 owner :oops:

I've emailed the local distributor and hopefully the next major damage won't be to my wallet!

A

Anonymous

Oh dear!

Sorry to hear about that. Stunning looking boxes. I do remember the review saying the tweeter domes were very delicate so I decided against them as we have 2 lively cats that could have trashed them. Hope you get s happy conclusion

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KiwiMoto said:
First I assembled the matching stands,screwed the speakers to the top plates,carefully laid them down with their grilles on facing the plush carpet to enable running the cables inside the stands.All sound ok so far?

Would laying them on their sides have given you enough access for running the cables inside the stands?

Check the instructions. If B&W instructs the user to lay them on their fronts, then write to them for a full refund of any repair/repacement charges.

KiwiMoto said:
I just purchased a pair of stellar looking PM1's and unpacked them on my lounge floor.First I assembled the matching stands,screwed the speakers to the top plates,carefully laid them down with their grilles on facing the plush carpet to enable running the cables inside the stands.All sound ok so far? Next I stood them up and placed them about 500mm out from the lounge rear wall and....OMG! Even though I had been extremely careful and had both the driver and tweeter grilles in place i had crushed the soft dome tweeters on both of them |( So much for the stupid 'protection grilles' and even more stupid new PM1 owner :oops: I've emailed the local distributor and hopefully the next major damage won't be to my wallet!

So sorry to hear this. That tweeter that sits on top has been a trait of B&W speakers for years - not very family-friendly.

I've always treated all my speakers like a new born...

Hope you sort it quickly.

Good luck, pp

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Given the amount of mis-handling suffered by the average new-born (especially from clumsy new parents who are doing everything for the first time without a manual) then I am suprised any of your hifi has survived!

Babies are a lot more resilient than anything B&W makes. (And they are waterproof too.)

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Given the amount of mis-handling suffered by the average new-born (especially from clumsy new parents who are doing everything for the first time without a manual) then I am suprised any of your hifi has survived!

Babies are a lot more resilient than anything B&W makes. (And they are waterproof too.)

Yeah, and feeding a B&W Farley's rusks isn't a good idea either.

A

Anonymous

KiwiMoto said:
I just purchased a pair of stellar looking PM1's and unpacked them on my lounge floor.First I assembled the matching stands,screwed the speakers to the top plates,carefully laid them down with their grilles on facing the plush carpet to enable running the cables inside the stands.All sound ok so far? Next I stood them up and placed them about 500mm out from the lounge rear wall and....OMG! Even though I had been extremely careful and had both the driver and tweeter grilles in place i had crushed the soft dome tweeters on both of them |( So much for the stupid 'protection grilles' and even more stupid new PM1 owner :oops: I've emailed the local distributor and hopefully the next major damage won't be to my wallet!

Did you get your speakers repaired ? :)

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Oh my. I'm sorry to hear that.

Do contact your dealer and B&W directly and explain them what happened, they might just send you replacement tweeters.

To be honest, I've always thought those little protection grilles looked like an accident waiting to happen.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting to hear back on the tweeters ETA from the UK via the NZ distributor.I put a hundred bucks on it that in the entire world I'm not the only IDIOT to wreck their tweeters during the unpacking/assembly process :oops:

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
All B&W tweeters are extremely delicate and very easy to dent. I'm sure you're kicking yourself for not laying them on their side instead of their face. But these things happen. People always say that a dented tweeter does not affect the sound although I don't think anyone really fully accepts that answer.

I will say that the PM1 is absolutely gorgeous. It's definately my fav B&W speaker based on appearance. I have not had the pleasure of hearing one yet. I'm guessing we see a floorstanding PM6 or 7 or 8 come next...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts