B&W Nautilus 804S OR Dali Helicon 400 Mk2: What hifi team please help!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a B&W fan but recently heard the Helicon 400 Mk2 and was very impressed.

I am getting both arround the same price.

I listen to a wide variety of music (rock, jazz and a lot of electronic) and will drive them using Marantz AV8003& MM8003 Pre power (which I recently purchased)

My main concern is whether the Dali speakers have the same authority and drive as the B&Ws in the low frequency area. And can they go loud. I know they can both handle the subtle stuff.

What do you think I should get?? Music playback is my main criteria.

What HiFi Team please help!!

Andrew Please comment!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Are these the only two you're considering? If i was spending this sort of money, I'd be listening to as many speakers as possible! There is a hell of a lot of excellent competition out there which begs being listened to, and it's usually the favourites that tend to lose out to the ones you see less of/hear less of. At this sort of price point, they'll all sound good (if driven properly), but there will be certain models that will rise above the rest......

A

Anonymous

I have the Helicon 400 Mk1 - I actually auditioned them against the Mk2 and the difference was not huge to my ears. The clincher was the price - much less than half the price of the Mk2. I bought the H400's to replace a pair of Proac D15's - the depth and width of the stereo image of the Dali' is amazing compared to the Proacs and they have an enormous amount of grunt with the right amplifier.

A

Anonymous

I've just bought a pair of Helicon 400 mkII second hand along with a C200 centre. The clarity and warmth of the sound is quite extraordinary. All the detail that used to be lost by my Ikon 6s is there. I've played them loud and they're exceptional. But then they should be at this level, shouldn't they?

My alternative picks would have been a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Ms, Wilson Benesch Curves both pairs on the Bay for an asking price of just over £3,600 but available for a bit less if you make an offer (I asked). My Dali's cost me £2950 for all three. In perfect condition (apart from a scratch on the centre speaker that my furniture restorer is taking out).

Can't recommend the 400s highly enough.

If I was buying new, i'd be looking at the PMC OB1i or PB1i.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ABobolino:I bought the H400's to replace a pair of Proac D15's - the depth and width of the stereo image of the Dali' is amazing compared to the Proacs.....Although to be fair there is a £2,000 price difference between the two!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I love the Helicons and between the two you mention they would be my choice especially if you want to play loud but as Dave says a further audition may help. The PMC's, KEF Reference and Proacs all have great speakers at this price point and there are gems from smaller manufacturers as well.

We run the Marantz Pre/power here and it will happily drive any of these speakers to high volume, bi amp the front three if you can and the results will be superb.

Nick

A

Anonymous

will, would love to see photo's of your set up when the 600 arrives!!

A

Anonymous

If I can figure out how to post them, I will indeed do so. My C200 is having a scratch removed at the furniture restorer, who told me that he really prefers to work on traditionally finished woods, and the Dali's have a spray on varnish finish. Oh well, I think they look amazing! Not a Steinway, but capable of reproducing the sound of one!

Looking forward to the Arcam's arrival, Black with that wonderful green LED screen. Very cool.

TRENDING THREADS