B&W diamond tweeters

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of 805Ds and one of the tweeters is playing intermittently. I want to check whether its the tweter thats broken or something else. I want to do this by swapping the tweeter fro the working speaker and trying it on the speaker with the tweeter thats playing intermittently.

How does one remove the diamond tweeter of the B&W speakers to do this? please help

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello Mate

If the tweeter housing is anything like the N805 then you twist the front of the housing anti clockwise to unscrew it - then remove the 2 cables at the rear and the tweeter should come off.

When you remove the outer cage I would put it down, dont keep it in your hand, you dont want to dimple / mark the tweeter - speaking from experience .....

If you are unsure call B&W in Worthing they are very helpful and could tell you exactly ;)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Given you're asking how to on here, this may be a job that's too tricky for you! How long have you had them, IIRC B&W come with a 5 year guarantee. Speak to your dealer first!

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I got them 2nd hand which invalidates the guarantee. what is the likely cause of the tweeter to play intermittently? Is it a sign that the tweeter is on its way out or something else?

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone out there with the knowledge of the cause of an intermittent tweeter please advice on the most probable cause of this. Your advice will be appreciated

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I took them in today back to the shop I bought them from to be checked out. My fronts are CM8s and I didnt have rears for a while and then I came across this 805Ds. Will they become a complete mismatch to my fronts? Is this where I trade in my CM8s for 804Ds?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I would also probably use the 805Ds as fronts as they are a much better speaker than the CM's

Having CMs as front and 805D's as rears is a crazy mix :) makes me really laugh though - stunning rears to have - the 805's are so transparent they would be an awesome rear lucky you

I would upgrade my amplification before buying any more higher up the chain B&W speakers mate

They require the finest amplification money can buy with a lot of current / power.

Get the amplification as high up the chain as you can afford / fit into your system, then look to add even more demands i.e. 804 to your system - that will be a stunning system no doubt though

804 D fronts with a HTM4 D centre then the 805D as rears - you will need proper power amps like bryston etc to get that system properly going. An AV amo is not going to get the best from them, nowhere near ;)

However with a good acoustic room I doubt there is much better out there. different but I doubt much better without going silly

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Just be a little patient! First have them in wright order and listen for some while. (Re)position them and listen again. Then think about other options.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im already regretting why I bought them bcs they may push me to upgrading my entire system. Ill have to think carefully befor I make my next move. I may moth ball them for a future project. I'll see but Im very confused right now

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
power said:
Im already regretting why I bought them bcs they may push me to upgrading my entire system. Ill have to think carefully befor I make my next move. I may moth ball them for a future project. I'll see but Im very confused right now

Dont be like that - once they are fixed enjoy them - very very good speakers, I loved my N805 and you obviously love B&W so will no dount love them

the N805 were super refined, lovely listen

You could always go the 4 x 805D 1 x HTM4D and use the sub - then you will have a very high end sub satellite system that if you read the what hifi review for the 805S x 5 setup they say its right up there with the very best

They definately thrive on power and space like most good higher end speakers - amazing rears, I would def try them as fronts to see how they fair against the CMs - I dont think you will be putting the CM's back once you have heard them.

Maybe consider biamp off your av amp if it does it - I have found that to help with harder to drive speakers, worth trying ;)

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im using an HK avr660 which is high current(60 amps. I am impressed with how much authority it has over most speakers. It pushes my CM8s with great authority but I wonder if its good enough to push the 804Ds and 805Ds together.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
power said:
Im using an HK avr660 which is high current(60 amps. I am impressed with how much authority it has over most speakers. It pushes my CM8s with great authority but I wonder if its good enough to push the 804Ds and 805Ds together.

It will still work ok, providing excellent sound no doubt, but to get the max out of the 800 range of B&W you need something like this http://www.whathifi.com/review/classe-ca-5200 or similar - proper power amps, not an av amp.

Something to consider as part of your upgrade route, amp might be better than speakers -

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
power said:

It will still work ok, providing excellent sound no doubt, but to get the max out of the 800 range of B&W you need something like this http://www.whathifi.com/review/classe-ca-5200 or similar - proper power amps, not an av amp.

Something to consider as part of your upgrade route, amp might be better than speakers -

You are now talking mega bucks which is out of the question. Im in South Africa and Classe here is not for poor people like me. I think moth balling the 805Ds and sticking to my CMs will be a good idea and then going in ceilings for rears for now. Ill put them into use some time in the future when I can afford decent amps to go the 800 route

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts