El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Nice set up dandy. What are those black rectangular item underneath the speakers??

I assume the radiotor is not functioning anymore.

How is the sound like when you set up your kit in the corner like that?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, the black slabs are granite worktop savers from Argos (about £13 each, if I remember).

The radiator is usually off (or very low setting), as the Pioneer plasma generates enough heat to keep the room cosy (very useful dual functionality from one device).

Concerning the corner set-up, my wife has forbidden me from moving to in front of the window and firing down length of room, so I've had to experiment to get the best sound.

I have found that the outer ring only of the B&W supplied bungs in the rear bass ports gives me best bass balance, and as my Kef subwoofer is in the corner behind the tv, I have added an Antimode bass equaliser (as recommended by many on this forum, thanks). It has substantially improved the bass definition, and sounds like I have a bass-player in the room now.

We had to check behind the tv to make sure that the bass player from our band wasn't actually stuck there and couldn't find his way out :)

My job for today is to add a second Cyrus X Power in vertical bi-amping arrangement (while my wife is out at the shops). I'll post on how they sound with the CM8s.

I auditioned the CM8s against MA RX8s - the RX8s sounded better musically in the shop, but I can definitely say that the set-up I have now (thanks again to the advice on this forum, and some experimenting) sounds better than the RX8s did.

The rosenut finish on the CM8s (and matching CM1s, CM Centre) plus the beautiful layout of the fronts by B&W has made it so much easier to get this type of kit into the house.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt [/quote said:
Hey.. Love the CM series.. I used to have CM7 (in maple) and then upgraded to CM9 (Piano black) with CMC (maple).. What a beauty these are.. especially in Rosenut (That is why I opted for Mahagony for the Proacs
smiley-cool.gif
)

How is the performance especially with Pioneer AVR? I am guessing they would be more detailed at top end. I like the way the speakers are brought forward to let them breathe in the room.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've pulled the speakers as far forward and away from the screen as I can. There is a fireplace to the left.

I've been playing about with the toeing-in to get the best sound. I think they work best in my room with very little toeing-in, even thought the CM8 manual says to toe-in.

With the Cyrus and the Pioneer, the higher end is quite prominent, and I get good vocal and acoustic instrument definition - but that is how I like it (and my wife, fortunately) and bass is not a problem in the room. Just listened to the new John Renbourne album "Palermo Snow" and you can really hear all his finger/hand movements on the strings. Some might not like the natural "imperfections", but that's what it would sound like if he was playing in your living room?

I also have a rug and big settees etc in the room, which help with acoustics a lot.

For projection, I have to put a screen up in front of the whole lot, raised on some stools, which is not ideal, but the only way I can work it in a traditional English (small, with fireplace, windows etc) lounge.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear that WHFSV are getting a pair of CM8s from B&W for review. Will be interesting to know what they sound like with the magazine's reference systems and compared to alternatives.

My second X Power should be up and running this afternoon, will post how bi-amped sounds later.

A

Anonymous

That's a nice set up you have there Dandy. Congratulations.

I'd like to ask a question if I may. Do the granite chopping boards improve the sound at all? I ask this question, because I have a similar floor to yourself and wondered if it would make any difference.

I live in an eco-house, which has an unusual floor design - the floor is in fact suspended to make it more thermally efficient. The downside is it tends to resonate. Does anyone else have any advice about this at all?

Dave

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
psycoschnauzer said:
I'd like to ask a question if I may. Do the granite chopping boards improve the sound at all? I ask this question, because I have a similar floor to yourself and wondered if it would make any difference.

I live in an eco-house, which has an unusual floor design - the floor is in fact suspended to make it more thermally efficient. The downside is it tends to resonate. Does anyone else have any advice about this at all?

To be honest, I don't know, but based on these forums I have tried to add anything that might help the sound (some things quite expensive..like Cyrus pre/power amps...and some things quite cheap , like Argos granite chopping boards :) . I've tried to improve all aspects of the sound, and used the cheapest alternative if I couldn't justify the price difference. For a piece of granite, the difference between the Argos £13 solution, and an audio specific solution, was quite large.

I've also gone for an Auralex Subdude beneath my subwoofer behind the tv (plus an Antimode s/w eq - definite significant improvement). However, had to wait about 4 months before the Subdude arrived in the UK!

A

Anonymous

How do you find the centre channel is this setup?

I am thinking about the CM 8s myself but I am unsure as to what centre channel to get.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
byebyebaby236 said:
How do you find the centre channel is this setup?

I am thinking about the CM 8s myself but I am unsure as to what centre channel to get.
The CM Centre is adequate for my setup and room size, plus the larger CM centre option is much bigger and would not fit in my rack. My one is the one that B&W have in their surround pack for the CM8s.

However, depending on how loud you need, and room size the bigger one might be better option.

TRENDING THREADS