B&W CM7 HIFI set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am new to HIFI. I purchased a pair of B&W CM7 speakers. I now have the following setup:

B&W CM7 (pair)

Yamaha RX-797 stereo receiver

Cambridge Audio Dac Magic

Yamaha S1800 CD player

I seem to be getting a really clear sound. However, I feel it no as warm as it should be. Highs are unforgiving when played through the CM7 tweeters. Also, I feel bass could be tighter are have more presence (hence the present lack of it).

Any suggestions on how can I improve my setup so it may sound warmer and with more BASS?

Thank you very much!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You could try some decent OFC speaker cables and interconnects with a high strand count, but really I think the blame lies with the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your response.

Are there any cables and interconnects you might recommend? Or were could I look for those specific cables?

Thank you

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As cables are probably only going to be doing some fine tuning, I wouldn't spend stupid amounts, as it may not solve your problem.

I haven't heard than but a number of forum members have reported success with Van Damme (studio blue and UPOFC?) which seem to be very reasonable, otherwise some people recommend any generic OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) speaker cable with a high strand count. The structure (particularly having many strands) is probably more important than any particular brand. (Maybe he two main two main proselytizers AliEnRIK and MUSICRAFT can give you more details).

I've listened to (and bought) some brand cables that give great bass response and warmth without losing detail, but as you'd be spending almost the value of your receiver and may not be able to achieve the desired result, I don't think they represent good value for money in your situation.

A

Anonymous

What about the fact that the speakers may not have run in properly yet and will need a good few weeks of being used well until they sound their best!

I found the CM7's to be superb speakers but fairly smooth for B&W. Demo'd them a few weeks ago (one set were brand new and another set had just come back from a home demo that were a few months old) and the sound was chalk and cheese!

The demo's were with a Cyrus 8XP amp and XPower amp and my Arcam CD192 CD player as well as with a NAD C356BEE amp and my Arcam CD72 CDP.

Both systems sounded superb but the Cyrus set-up was just a little bass shy compared to the NAD but that's understandable.

The speaker cable that was used was QED Revelation and Chord Odyssey

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a pair of CM7s & they are wonderful speakers. You may need to give them a bit more time to run in, if you bought them new. Mine were ex-demo so were superb from day one. (Buying ex-demo means as well as a large discount someone else breaks it in for you. Also any niggles are likely to surface before you get them).

BUT your receiver might be having more effect on this sound, so maybe a chage in this area might be appropriate. I don't know if you want to go to much more expense but I can vouch for the Musical Fidelity X-A2, there's one on ebay at the moment. I would expect it to go for around the £250 point.

Otherwise maybe experimenting with speaker cable that does justice to your great speakers.

A

Anonymous

i would say its your amp. your speakers are outdoing your amp.

TRENDING THREADS