B&W CM1 to improve stereo performance of AV Receiver?

Kingston12

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running a Marantz SR7007 receiver with the original B&W M1 speakers and an SVS sub. The sound is great for movies and pretty poor for music. This has been fine up until now, but I am starting to listen to more music at home again so the system will probably be used 25% for music instead of the current 5%.

I’d like to upgrade the front speakers to improve the stereo sound using both turntable and ALAC via Sonos as sources. Unfortunately, I don’t have space for large speakers, so my first thought was for the B&W CM1s which I have been impressed with in the past. My main questions are:

1.As I am just using an AV Receiver, is it worth going for something like the CM1, or am I unlikely to notice much difference compared to the cheaper 686?
2.I’d like to stick with B&W so as to maintain the synergy across the front three speakers. Is this really necessary and if not is there anything else I should be auditioning in the same price/size range?
3.I am assuming that moving to a speaker of this size will represent a big step up for music from the original M1s?

Any advice appreciated!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
1. I'm sure the CM1s are gonna be better than the 686s, the reports I've read on here for the CM1s are very favourable. Don't forget, if you're only running 5.1, you can use the unused surround rear channels to bi-amp the CM1s (Assuming the Marantz can be configured in this way, I'd be surprised if it can't).

2. Yeah, stick with B&W.

3. Yeah, I'd be surprised if it's not an improvement. I don't use my M1s for music, apart from music Blu-rays/DVDs

Something to think about in future may be to look at the matching CM centre, to maintain the same sound signature across the front 3 speakers.

Kingston12

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks.

The Marantz does have the assginable amps, so I may well try bi-amping.

The long term plan is to get a full CM setup with floorstanders at the front and the CM1s moved to rear channel duty. Unfortunately, that is going to require a house move, so I will be stuck with the M1 centre for now.

The other problem with my relatively small (16' x 11') room is that the CM1s will need to be close to the rear wall than I'd like. I think I will just experiment with bungs in the rear ports to get the best out of them that I can.

A

Anonymous

HI,

I have a pair of CM1's in piano gloss black in like new condition that I am considering selling if you would be interested?

Thanks

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion...Get the CM1's - its a no brainer.

Ive demoed the M1's and 685's - but didnt like them at all. The CM1 are a proper hifi speaker and am listening to them now :)

Ive also ran them in a 5.1 setup (which ive since sold) and the CM1s performed admirably. The usual demo if you can disclaimers apply of course!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Ben123 said:
In my opinion...Get the CM1's - its a no brainer.

Ive demoed the M1's and 685's - but didnt like them at all. The CM1 are a proper hifi speaker and am listening to them now :)

Ive also ran them in a 5.1 setup (which ive since sold) and the CM1s performed admirably. The usual demo if you can disclaimers apply of course!

+1

I had a listen to the CM 1's with naim & rega bro amp.. It sounded really good.. You cannot go wrong with the cm1's.. The bass in is amazing for the size of the speakers. If i were you i would give them a demo..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts