B&W CM1 Crackle/distort with low frequency movies

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys, I've had my CM1's for a few months now and have noticed on some low frequencies they emit a loud crackle.

Has anyone else noticed this or can advise what the problem might be. They are used as the main stereo pair via my Marantz PM6004 amp. I haven't notice this happen with any music I've played, only film, especially low rumbling effects.

Any advice much appreciated.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Music generally doesn't have much low frequency energy below 40Hz, but movie soundtracks from a Bluray can reach below 10Hz - which hi-fi speakers aren't designed to do, and definitely aren't capable of doing. To reproduce very low bass notes, the bass cone needs to move further, and there's a limit to what all bass drivers can do, especially smaller ones. As your speakers won't reach 20Hz, I'm guessing it is probably excessive bass between the 25-35Hz point that is causing your speakers problems. Other than using the bass control to turn bass down, there's not much you can do without adding products. Adding a sub to deal with these lower notes is the simplest way to stop this happening. You need to look for a subwoofer with speaker inputs and outputs so that it can be placed between the amplifier and speakers - it will then filter out the lower notes and pass the rest on to your speakers. The downside to this is that the sub will always be in circuit. I would also generally recommend a sub with a minimum of a 12" driver, otherwise you'll be lucky to break 30Hz with any meaningful grunt.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Im running the CM1s with a marantz pm7000 amp (for music) and dont have the problem you describe. However, i am watching films through an Av amp so the lowest frequencies dont get sent to the CM1's. I play my CM1's quite loud at times so they can certainly take a beating without distorting.

I take it theres no alternative amp / speakers you could borrow off a friend to find the cuplrit? Also, is the crackle there at low volumes?

The only advice i can give is to back off on the volume when you experience any crackle / distortion. Personally, i would disconnect my cm1's from anything that crackles until i found the culprit - but thats me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts