B&W CDM 1NT vs 602 s3 s Dynaudio 2/6

admin_exported

New member
Aug 10, 2019
2,556
2
0
B&W CDM 1NT vs 602 s3 s Dynaudio 2/6

What i am looking for - Excellent stereo imaging- warm ,non fatiguing sound, punchy deep bass

I will add a Subwoofer to go along woth any of these . so please recommend that as well. Ia want seemelss integration and deep punchy bass to go along with good details. i am looking for £200 secondhand for sub and it should not weigh more then 19-20 kgs

I just heard CM1 quite liked the sound, if i can found warmer sound with more punchy bass then better and does some one know how it compares with CDM 1NT and 602 S3?

I can not audition any of these so your help is deeply appreciated.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
aye, i would agree with cno that the dynaudios should give you the sound you are looking for, haven't heard the 2/6s but the whfi review praises the bass and punch. one thing is for sure the 2/7s are anything but fatiguing, the high frequencies are crisp but smooth, and the 2/6s have the same tweeter.

don't know anything about the other speakers though..
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Hi MGuru

In my opinion you have described the Dynaudio. The CDM 1NT may be too forward for you.

Other than that, I can be of little help.....hope you get other advice....Max has the 2/7s so he may be able to add some insight.

IMO BK do the best VFM subs.....choose according to budget.

Regards

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi there....

I don't have much experience with the Dynaudios, having only auditioned the 2/6s briefly... but I have owned the 601 S3 and now use the CDM1NTs, I don't think that either of the B&Ws meet your requirements unless you are partnering with suitable kit. As mentioned by Cno the CDMs may be a bit forward, but I found that is especially the case if partnered incorrectly.

I have the CDMs hooked up to an integrated hybrid amp, and that provides the warmth I was looking for and a Marantz cdp which also contributes to that.... my room is quite small, so I don't feel I need a sub. However I have tested my set-up with a B&W ASW608, and while the integration was quite good I would not call that a mind blowing set-up. I just felt that at even with the sub at quite a low level it just tended to dominate and i found that fatiguing. For me personally I prefer not to use a sub with my stereo set-up, I would rather spend that extra money on upgrading the partnering kit i.e. cdp, dac or amp.

regards

sm
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
sujmo said:
Hi there....

I don't have much experience with the Dynaudios, having only auditioned the 2/6s briefly... but I have owned the 601 S3 and now use the CDM1NTs, I don't think that either of the B&Ws meet your requirements unless you are partnering with suitable kit. As mentioned by Cno the CDMs may be a bit forward, but I found that is especially the case if partnered incorrectly.

I have the CDMs hooked up to an integrated hybrid amp, and that provides the warmth I was looking for and a Marantz cdp which also contributes to that.... my room is quite small, so I don't feel I need a sub. However I have tested my set-up with a B&W ASW608, and while the integration was quite good I would not call that a mind blowing set-up. I just felt that at even with the sub at quite a low level it just tended to dominate and i found that fatiguing. For me personally I prefer not to use a sub with my stereo set-up, I would rather spend that extra money on upgrading the partnering kit i.e. cdp, dac or amp.

regards

sm
I think this is an insightful reply......(To MGuru): and leads on to the question of what is your source and amp (sorry if it has been mentioned prior).

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi Cno

thaks for all the advice and help you have provided till now. I have decided to up my budget uptill £700 either for floorstanders or standmounter if it can give good bass in itself or with sub.

As you have mentioned that Gr60 are really good. Will i still need the sub? How much these weigh par speaker boxed and what are the dimension if you know it will be very helpful.I saw only one on hifi for sale but for £980.

Also wil ltry to listen to Dynaudio 2/6 tomorrow. I read in another thread on what hifi that some one compared them with PMC DB1i connected to Arcam amp and found PMC punchier and better sounding?

have you heard these DB1i? i can get one for £500 exdemo- and 2/6 for £400 . at the same time i am getting tempted towardsa sexond hand floorstander which can combibe stansmounters qualities with authority and bass extesnion.

Any other favourites except GR60? How about Any speakers in Dynaudio or B&w like 704 or Matrix 802?

Is GR60 befitting my above requirements i.e. warm non fatiguing but clear sound and deep fast punchy bass?

Do you or anyone know good sites for second hand ex demo hifi. I tried exdem, pjhifi and hifi for sale
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi SUjmo - thanks for insight. I have Arcam Avr 250, how will you describe the combination , will it be suitable?

to everyone as well, a friend of mine offered Wharfedale Evo 30's originals with yellow kevlar cones not the second version. i checked they got 5 star review from what hifi. has anyone heard them ? Howwill they suit my needs connected to arcam avr 250?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thaks for the help Maxflinn. So do you think 2/7 suit my needs more then 2/6. How are these sound wise, do they have scale and authority of floorstanders etc? Do you know whereto find them second hand. I tried to look but can only find these new! So these need sub in your opinion as i got a suggestion its better to go for a good floorstanders for bass and stereo imaging combination then leaning towards hard to match combination of sub with standmounters
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi Cno

source is mostly 320kpbs mp3s as well as flac- to Usb sound card- its coax out - to Arcam AVR 250 digital in

Yes actually i am alaso tryign to improve sound output from my laptop, any help in htis matter will be greatly appreciated . I havea creative audigy livesound card attached to it as of now.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
maverickguru said:
Thaks for the help Maxflinn. So do you think 2/7 suit my needs more then 2/6. How are these sound wise, do they have scale and authority of floorstanders etc? Do you know whereto find them second hand. I tried to look but can only find these new! So these need sub in your opinion as i got a suggestion its better to go for a good floorstanders for bass and stereo imaging combination then leaning towards hard to match combination of sub with standmounters
hi, apparently the 2/7s are bassier and have more scale than the 2/6s due to their bigger driver and larger size, fwiw i think they are better speakers than monitor audios rx6s (which i had previously) , no fatigue at all in my rather reflective room, whereas the rx6s, while being maybe a shade bassier were very fatiguing.

i'd think carefully about buying speakers with a metal tweeter if your room isn't well damped. just my views.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
sujmo said:
Hi there....

I don't have much experience with the Dynaudios, having only auditioned the 2/6s briefly... but I have owned the 601 S3 and now use the CDM1NTs, I don't think that either of the B&Ws meet your requirements unless you are partnering with suitable kit. As mentioned by Cno the CDMs may be a bit forward, but I found that is especially the case if partnered incorrectly.

I have the CDMs hooked up to an integrated hybrid amp, and that provides the warmth I was looking for and a Marantz cdp which also contributes to that.... my room is quite small, so I don't feel I need a sub. However I have tested my set-up with a B&W ASW608, and while the integration was quite good I would not call that a mind blowing set-up. I just felt that at even with the sub at quite a low level it just tended to dominate and i found that fatiguing. For me personally I prefer not to use a sub with my stereo set-up, I would rather spend that extra money on upgrading the partnering kit i.e. cdp, dac or amp.

regards

sm
Thanks for the advice and opnion about CDM 1NT. do these speaker have metallsic sounding tweeters like 6 series or are they natural? how is the mid rmange and is bass light but still punchy? I have heard these are bass light? i have failty big size room thus will need a sub.any suggestions ofr sub or any otehr speaker?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
thanks again, i quite like your profile picture :), one of my favaorite character's.

yes i think i should not go for metal tweeters either. have you heard by any chance Wharfedale evo's? Iwould go for 2/7 if i can find one secondhand or ex dem. i am geting 2/6 for £400.

Between 2/6 for 400 and cdm 1nt for arounf £300, reading all opinions looks like 2/6 are warmer and have more bass. But has any one audtioned heard both of them to compare, as cdm 1nt looks like better VFM what with real thick wood and tweeter on top which is supposed to produce excellent sound stage. i am wondering about stereo image and sound stage as well, which one has the best with arcam?

Also for same amount of money i am getting wharfedale evo 30 whch are floorstanders, i have heard wharfedale evo 20;s and they had excellebt stereo imaginf but may be bit less claritty at top end and bass was really lacking. SO i am hoping if i choose evo 30, it may solve my purpose without sub?

As of now- ihave cdm 1nt, dynaudio 2/6 or 2/7 if i can get it cheap, PMC db1i and wharfedale evo 30 for consideration. problem is i can hear none except dynaudio and may be pmc, i am in notts. i was thinking about radiance 4 from acoustic energy aswell- but has any one any idea about them ?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
i don't know what they sound like but on value for money alone you might want to consider these acoustic energy radience 3 floorstanders, they normally retail at £1500 but are going for £592 from the AE ebay shop.

they are cosmetically imperfect but are mechanically sound, fwiw i bought a subwoofer from them and it was also cosmetically imperfect but it looked fine to me, the finish was a little dull, like a matt finish but it still looked good.

they have a metal tweeter though so an audition would be advisable, might be worth a look...

edit... actually they use an "annular tweeter" , i presume that's metal, perhaps someone else knows?...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Apologies for the delay in responding....

I'm not sure I fully understand the term 'mettallic sounding'... but I would say that the CDMs are slightly brighter than the 6 series and this also depends on the partnering kit. I would describe the the bass as on the light side, I use a pair of 685s in my HT set-up and I would say that they have more punch than the CDMs.

Personally I think that the CDMs are more fussy in terms of partnering kit and are perhaps not as flexible a speaker.... you will definitely notice a poor recording, I tend to only listen to ALAC or FLAC files because of this.

In terms of a sub, as I indicated previously I really didn't enjoy the CDMs when combined with a sub.... but that is more a personal preference or perhaps i have not tested an appropriate one yet.

Based on all of your responses, I would think that the Dynaudios are probably more suited to your requirements...

I forgot to include that I haven't listened to the arcam amps...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
totally the dynaudio 2/6, no question-imo. all the good things others have written are true.

if i didnt l didnt already have the gr60 the dynaudio would have been my dream date.

surprised the gr60 was so much on ebay. i got mine for 600 6 months ago on ebay. saw piano black finish go for 760, another go for 720. they are really classy, need the right cable-they prefer my wireworld oasis to my odyssy or epic.

good luck and happy listening, and be patient
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,303
487
20,070
maverickguru said:
B&W CDM 1NT vs 602 s3 s Dynaudio 2/6

What i am looking for - Excellent stereo imaging- warm ,non fatiguing sound, punchy deep bass

I will add a Subwoofer to go along woth any of these . so please recommend that as well. Ia want seemelss integration and deep punchy bass to go along with good details. i am looking for £200 secondhand for sub and it should not weigh more then 19-20 kgs

I just heard CM1 quite liked the sound, if i can found warmer sound with more punchy bass then better and does some one know how it compares with CDM 1NT and 602 S3?

I can not audition any of these so your help is deeply appreciated.
You've really described PMC DB1is. They are wonderfully detailed speaker with fabulous punch and depth of bass for such a diminutive speaker. They have a wonderful solidity about their presentation; they also sound really good with Arcam.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
plastic penguin said:
maverickguru said:
B&W CDM 1NT vs 602 s3 s Dynaudio 2/6

What i am looking for - Excellent stereo imaging- warm ,non fatiguing sound, punchy deep bass

I will add a Subwoofer to go along woth any of these . so please recommend that as well. Ia want seemelss integration and deep punchy bass to go along with good details. i am looking for £200 secondhand for sub and it should not weigh more then 19-20 kgs

I just heard CM1 quite liked the sound, if i can found warmer sound with more punchy bass then better and does some one know how it compares with CDM 1NT and 602 S3?

I can not audition any of these so your help is deeply appreciated.
You've really described PMC DB1is. They are wonderfully detailed speaker with fabulous punch and depth of bass for such a diminutive speaker. They have a wonderful solidity about their presentation; they also sound really good with Arcam.
As I have said before on here, PMC goes very well with Arcam so I agree with PP. Are they better than Dynaudio?......only you can decide.

IMO You also need to aim towards a "CD quality" source.

Regards

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
thanks to all of you experts in heling me out till now - i am in bigger dilemma now and completely confused!

Somedone did tell me in this forum to buy Kef reference speakers on ebay as they will provide me warm non fatiguing sound, best stereo imaging and deep punchy bass.

I in momemt of deperation and after reading all reviews which i can found on interent won Kef Reference Model 3 on ebay for £580

now the problem is weight was described as 20 kgs par speaker while it is 35 kg !

i have also been offered B&W CM7 like new for £480

KEf reference's will cost me £200 more then B&W CM7 in terms of transportation to my hometown so bringing their cost to £780

I am willing to buy PBC DB1i or dynaudio 2/6 or 2/7 as well

PBC costing around £480 and dynaudio 2/6 £400 and Dyanudio 2/7 £400 as well.

Now the problem is does Kef reference justifys additional £400 over the cost of any above mentioned speakers, basically double the price!

reviews on web are amazing, has anyone heard them and can compare them with PBC, Dynaudio, B&w current gen models?

How are these 1997 top ofthe line speakers compared to these current one?

I am of understanding that kef will need more powerful amp- i can bi amp usinf arcam additional rear channel to proide 150watt par channel but will negate need of subwoofer so saving me £150 towards sub and also the complication of matching the sub?

I have to now decide vewwry soon as i have to pay by tomorrow morning if i buy Kef as they will be delivered in bubble wrap, i have to buy boxes for them also I have to remove some drivers fro mthem to make them weigh 32 kg with packaging !

I hope removing one bass driver will reduce the weight by 8 kgs par speaker?




Cno, Plastic penguin, maxflinn, Sujmo, Pedej0e, help me Out as soon as possible as i have to arrnage courier pickup, remove drivers, buy boxes and take these to Heathrow if i decide to buy these, so lots of pain, money time will be gone if i buy Kef's but if the sound is way superior to others then it is worth it as i Do not wish to change my speakers for 7-8 years !
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
2,303
487
20,070
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
maverickguru said:
B&W CDM 1NT vs 602 s3 s Dynaudio 2/6

What i am looking for - Excellent stereo imaging- warm ,non fatiguing sound, punchy deep bass

I will add a Subwoofer to go along woth any of these . so please recommend that as well. Ia want seemelss integration and deep punchy bass to go along with good details. i am looking for £200 secondhand for sub and it should not weigh more then 19-20 kgs

I just heard CM1 quite liked the sound, if i can found warmer sound with more punchy bass then better and does some one know how it compares with CDM 1NT and 602 S3?

I can not audition any of these so your help is deeply appreciated.
You've really described PMC DB1is. They are wonderfully detailed speaker with fabulous punch and depth of bass for such a diminutive speaker. They have a wonderful solidity about their presentation; they also sound really good with Arcam.
As I have said before on here, PMC goes very well with Arcam so I agree with PP. Are they better than Dynaudio?......only you can decide. IMO You also need to aim towards a "CD quality" source. Regards Cno
As regards the newer Dyns I don't know. From hearing the older Audience 52SEs with Arcam, they're not a great match. Dyns, for all their talent, aren't the easiest to drive. At 88 or 89db the DBs will be far easier to drive and have better synergy IMHO.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Of the speakers that you mentioned, I would like the Kef Refs but:

Only if they are driven properly or going to be driven properly in the near future.
Only if it is safe to dismantle, send and reconstruct without damage....probably risky.
A centre channel will be hard to match, if that is an issue.
You will probably need a sub for AV anyway.
Only if stereo is a much higher priorty than AV, and used with a good source.

Safest option: Arcam + PMC (In your position this may be best, but ultimately the decision and consequences are yours). If you are rushed into a decision it could prove to be the wrong one.

Cno
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
buy the PBC DB1i or dynaudio 2/6. end of.

ive heard the 2/6 so i know there qualitys will satisfy your needs. but i also believe in certain peoples opinions on this forum and they rate the PBC super duper high. your on a win win-choose one of the two and you wont be disapointed.

its like when i have to choose chunky monkey or pralines and cream ice cream--i lurve em both dearly-there both awesome delicious ice creams so either one will hit the spot-and neither will disapoint

your choosing between quality and quality--i envy your choice

happy listening. i must go now and get some chunky monkey ice cream
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
thanks for the info- PMC DB1i which ihad in sight are sold ! do you know any place to get them for under £500!

I know i have been lot of trouble to all experts and can not thank all of you enough for the insight :)

I h ve let the KEF reference go however much i wanted it :( they will be too costly to ship

Just one more advice required as i will pay for these today as soon as possible

Dynaudio 2/6 - some how do not like the looks

- B&W CM7 for £80 more

cdm 1nt with subwoofer for same price as CM7

Monitor audio GR20 for £150 more so price is around £550 delivered

i heard good reviews about monitor audios gr20's but lots of commments about being bright ? will they go well with my requirements as i have to pay £70 more then Cm7
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts