B&W ASW 10CM or PV1 - Subwoofer

Sliced Bread

Has anyone heard and compared the B&W ASW 10CM and PV1? What was the difference between the two?

Price wise they are very similar and they are both made by B&W, so I can only assume there is a big sonic difference in order to justify both of them in the range.

I currently use a Monitor Audio RSW12, which I think is a superb sub, but doesn’t quite integrate into my CM8, CMC and CM1 speakers. It’s got loads of low end slam and control, but not quite adept enough higher up the frequencies for a perfectly transparent crossover with the CM’s.

I am looking at B&W subs instead of other manufacturers as integration is really important to me.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've just started looking at exactly the same issue this afternoon, as I've still got the old KEF subwoofer from when I had KEF eggs.

I now have CM8s, CM Centre and CM1 surrounds (side and back) in rosenut.

The brochures for the CM range show the ASW10CM as their choice of coordinated subwoofer - bizarrely with the exception of the specific brochure for the CM8s, which recommends the PV1.

However, my local branch of SSAV tells me that the PV1 has been discontinued, and that the ASW10CM is now only available in gloss black, although all the press pictures (including the WHFSV 2011 awards picture of the CM9s and sub) show a nice rosenut matching set.

So it looks like the PV1 is no longer an option, unless s/h or still on a shelf somewhere, and the ASW10CM won't match the rest of my speakers, which is a shame.

From the limited number of reviews that I've found, the ASW10CM seems like a very good piece of kit, and blends well with CM9s/CM5s at least. I haven't yet found any reviews linking it with CM8s/CM1s.

Sliced Bread

Jinx. Make a wish :)

Thanks DC. From what I can tell it looks like the pv1 is being replaced with another similar design (read "round"). Maybe the answer to our ills.

How are you getting on with the cm8s?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Really enjoying the CM8s - I have them powered in mono by a pair of Cyrus X Powers, and they seem to work well together.

Any idea about when the replacement PV1 is due - I thought I read somewhere that it was due in November 2011?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got a reply from Stephen at B&W : (Hope he doesn't mind me passing on the info)

"The replacement for the PV1 will be the PV1D (£1,200) expected early April.

The ASW10CM offers more slam due to its single 10" driver, however the PV1D will offer improved agility, timing and a far cleaner performance."

I think I'll wait to see/hear how they compare before making a decision - I'm sure the neighbours won't mind :)

I've already seen one shop advertising it - but looks like they've just lifted the description sounds/image of the discontinued PV1 : http://www.hificorner.co.uk/bandw-pv1d-subwoofer.html

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
To charge a premium on the award-winning PV1, they have to offer something extra? Is this like those covert shots of camouflaged new Ferraris at Nurburgring - perhaps inside that sphere is...a cube? :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
hello mate

sub placement is key to integrating your bass. There is loads online about it, a new sub might make little to no difference at all if its in the wrong place in your room or if its out of phase. Its not easy to get right - you should look up REW Room Equalisation Wizard as its the only real way of testing to see what bass reponse you are getting. There are you tube videos exapling how to use it

My Sub is BK XXLS400 sealed box 400w 12"

I just recently moved mine from the far corner opposite me to a near corner pretty much next to me (Nearfield placement)

I was getting a very good freq response (no dips) from the far corner but my room was causing the bass to mode really bad, even with an anitmode and it didnt sound right at all as a result. It also made it sound very directional

By moving it to a positon (corner) closer to me it has integrated much better as I am hearing the bass notes properly now, I do have a couple of dips in the response one at 47htz and one at about 35htz but there are no modes above 40htz so the majority of the bass I am getting is fast and pretty spot on, the moding bass notes are too deep for music generally. Its amazing listening to the system now, you expect to hear all the bass coming from next to you but it doesnt its all out in front of me in between my main 2 speakers etc. Its one of those situations where your eyes dont believe your ears

You are already using an antimode (sensible man) so its very likely your room placement mate against where you sit - it makes all the difference and trying moving it first might be a better and cheaper option.

if you still want a new sub BK XLS400 is awesome mate, especially for music - once setup right its fast, tight and deep rumbly enough for 99.9% of people matches perfectly with my B&W 805 front 3 and B&W CDM SNT Rears

For all those of you who think you are getting good bass running REW can be an eye opener to a difference reality (that you are not getting great bass) Its a great tool for actually seeing what is going on in your room where you sit

as for the DSP in the PV1 D - that is most likely an eq the same as your/ an amtimode you already have that mate :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts