B&W 805s or 804s with Nait 5i original version (non-italic)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I earlier asked about a number of speakers, but have decided to go with at least the 805s. I am currently running a Naim Nait 5i and cd5i in the older non-italic versions. I am wondering if it would to too much to ask of the nait to drive the 804s? Would there be any problems in the long term? I listen mostly to classical music: piano, chamber and concertos.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Should be fine, the Naim makes a very big 50 watts. As far as damaging either the amp or the speakers, I'd be stunned.

That said you might not get the full 100% experience out of the 804's. But that's conjecture.

A

Anonymous

...or Gamut Phi 3 if you can and like...sounds fine with Naim.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cyberbob"]...or Gamut Phi 3 if you can and like...sounds fine with Naim.[/quote]

Overkill!

not to mention naim's wouldn't be able to drive the GamuT properly. Great pair though.

A

Anonymous

Why do you think so? My friend has got GamuT Phi3 and DIY 55W power amp and that sounds very good. I really don't understand why Naim is not able to drive them properly? In my opinion Naim is overkill for B&W 805s. They need some extra power. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Cyberbob"]In my opinion Naim is overkill for B&W 805s.[/quote]

Not the baby Naims. They benefit from a clear, open speaker with extended treble, something they lack in comparison to say cyrus.

A

Anonymous

Agreed. For my ears Cyrus is bright and B&W 805's are also bright. For me - not good match.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cyberbob"]Why do you think so? My friend has got GamuT Phi3 and DIY 55W power amp and that sounds very good. I really don't understand why Naim is not able to drive them properly? In my opinion Naim is overkill for B&W 805s. They need some extra power. :)[/quote]

C'mon, you know as well as I do that there is a big different between "be able to drive the speakers" and "amp took control of speakers"

GamuT do recomended the amp with 100 watts minimum to drive them, I know many of us don't take so much notice of them figures! me included..... but when it come to GamuT that cost a fair bit of hard earn money you don't want to just hear 50% of what they can do!!!!

A

Anonymous

OK Thaiman. I know that you are hungry, but don't bite me. :)

Ciao!

TRENDING THREADS