B&W 685 + Rotel RA04

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am new here, but have been reading the forums regards to 685's and am thinking to buy them next friday (if I can track down an online retailer!). I thought I would pose a question before I spend my hard-earned cash though. From reading the forums it seems that 685's coupled with the Rotel RA04 amp will be a nice set-up for my budget (around £650, can go higher if needed but prefer not to). I need speakers that are going to be positioned approx 1.5 meters apart, and I will be sitting approx 2 foot from them at a 45 degree angle ( will push for 60 degree). They are going to be sitting on a glass computer desk as opposed to on stands as my head will be over a foot above them on stands. I listen to almost all music, preferring trip-hop over most but listen to anything from ethnic to rock also. I am wanting great sound definition and bass to fill a bedroom (standard bedroom environment e.g bed, wardrobe, etc) approx 5x4 meters. Am I making the right decision for my money? Who retails B&W online? Is there a better alternative? Will the B&W be ok on glass!!? Have I missed anything? Thanks for any response I get :) Stu

A

Anonymous

Give that glass a good firm tap...does it resonate?

Those B&Ws 685s need a good thrashing before they sound good. On that Rotel, you'll be nearing 11 o'clock to get the best from them and after 1 o'clock it starts clipping (producing distortion). But they are quite well matched products tonally as long as you don't mind a bit of brightness. Bass aplenty though! What source are you using, the pc? If so, you'll want a good soundcard.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for such a quick reply!

The glass is about 9mm thick toughened safety glass. The speakers would actually sit on the "pillars" that support the whole thing, so they would be in the most stable place. Hmm, I tapped the glass and the glass does resonate. This is going to be a problem right? :(

You guessed right, the sound would be coming from my PC mostly. I have a Terratec 24/96 soundcard so should be up to the job.

If the resonance from the glass is going to effect sound quality a lot then I am a bit lost about which direction to go in. If I use stands they will sit down a lot lower than my ears are and the sound would have to travel through objects to get to me :(

A

Anonymous

Nah, I should there shouldn't be too much of a problem regarding the glass. How far away will you be from them - you wouldn't want to have speakers like those too close as the soundstage would be none existant and you would be deaf after 10 minutes! As long as you are near as a metre away, that's fine. Oh, and they are very nice speakers...I tested them around 5 months ago now and gave them the 5 thumbs up...the amp wasn't my favourite though, only because I felt it was a bit too bright - but for the stuff you listen too, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also consider the Marantz PM-7001 amplifier and the Arcam A70 which you can get for a good price these days. Have fun!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think they are far too big considering how far you will be away. You ought to be looking more at monitor size/stylespeakers in that environment.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
To add, I assume you're doing what I did for many years... Computer based system, on your glass computer desk?
I have an Ikea glass desk I used with a few different speakers in that precice environment. The glass is fine so long as it's a nice heavy slab. Use blu-tak under the speakers and they are rock-solid.

As for speakers, I think you ought to aim a little lower, or higher in price and go for something less imposing for such close-up listening.

I would save a chunk of cash and get something like the Nad C315BEE and the MS902i' for such listening., and put your pennies away for the time being.
If you are still determined, then how about a little extra, and look at the Avi ADM9 active speakers (about a £1000), which are designed for the job, and by all accounts rather fantastic.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the replies, gonna check out those suggestions now and post back.

I am so glad that the glass shouldnt be a problem, the speakers will be above the "leg" of the desk. (the whole desk weighs around 9 stone so is fairly robust).

Sitting at my PC I will be approx 2.5 ft away at comfort distance and for general use. I listen to music almost all the time I am at my PC (which is a lot).

Will brb after checking out some google!

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I didn't read your original post in depth; you did specify the distance you would be from the speakers! I would say that 2.5 ft is probably too close for such speakers. I would consider the PMC DB1-SA active speakers...no need for an amp, smaller than the B&Ws and provide better sound quality! Google them!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Try the Focal Chorus 706 V. I have a Rotel RA-04 and these speakers are a perfect match for the Rotel amp. I've tried the B&W 685, Monitor Audio BR2/RS1 and the Focals just beat them all IMO. Brilliant speakers for the money and very easy to drive (90 db).

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Just thought I`d quickly tell you that I have some 685s and I`m really pleased with them. Bit worried about coupling them with a Pioneer amp regarding bass but I have to say that the intro to the Eagles `One Of These Nights` sounds just as good on these as on most other systems I`ve heard. Good luck with yours!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts