B&W 685 or Dali Lektor 2 for budget system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys.

I'm in a position where I can get the B&W 685 with a pretty nice rebate, making it equal in price as the Dali Lektor 2. Here in Norway these two are usually like $150 apart, which of course makes me want to snap-buy the B&W while the offer stands.

But is it really better though, or is it just a subjective matter of taste? What is the difference between these in general? I heard the 685 is a little weak in the middle tones, where the Dali is supposed to be excellent. This worries me a little, but then again I know nothing about this stuff -- and even less about how all that could change with the choice of amp I make.

I'm planning to use the speakers with a budget amp, like the NAD C316 or possibly C326 (but not anything more expensive). For now I will hook up my iPhone for music and use it with my HDTV for movies. I plan to add a CD player and/or dock later.

Is there other amps that could be better match-ups for each of these speakers? And will one of the speakers require a better amp than the other to sound good? I want to buy from my local shop, so I have to choose between NAD, Cambridge and Denon for amps, and Dali and B&W for speakers.

Sorry for so many questions -- any help is very much appreciated!

EDIT: One other thing. Would it possibly make sense to not choose any of these speakers but instead go for a cheaper one like the Lektor 1 or Concept, and then use the spare money on a better amp? Is it better to go cheap speaker + expensive amp then the other way around? Sorry if this question is dumb.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i really found that 685's need a good amp to control them not sounding boomy and the tweeter is sometimes over the top. While you might lose detail i think the lektor2's would be a very safe move and they would give a nicer listen. But if you want power and detail i would try and listen to the 685's. What ever you do dont get the 686's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for great imput! Do you have any idea what amp I need to do the 685's justice? Or do you think the lektor's are better anyway?

FWIW I listen a lot to 60's rock like Velvet Underground, Beatles, Soft Machine etc. Of newer stuff I listen to funk-rock, some prog, and alternative stuff like Sonic Youth, Pixies, and Radiohead. I listen to some jazz, some electronica and rarely house.

Of course I want a system that sound good for everything, since I plan to use them in a small home cinema. But I wouldn't excactly cry if it were made with an eye for rock either :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts