B&W 684 + Rotel RA06se

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
FINALLY! After 2 months of research and auditioning, and a struggle to get them home in my car which never happened and 2 hours of re-doing the lounge to setup these beasts. I have my first ever hi-fi system setup.

I shall put up pictures later, but first things firsts....sound. My word! I know the speakers' haven't been run in, or the amp warmed up...but WOW! What sound! Can't wait to hear these open up after 2 weeks or so of listening.

B&W 684 in Red Cherry for £630 (brand new)

Rotel RA06se in Black for £450 (ex-demo)

QED Evolution XT with QED banana plugs (not bi-wire) Oh sorry Hifilover1979....I had to buy better interconnects so I couldn't spend anymore on bi-wire cables.

Chord Company Crimson Plus

And using my old CA DVD57 CD/Dvd audio player

Also, just wanted to thank everyone for the the helpful hints and tips! Really, REALLY happy with the final result!

A

Anonymous

Ah no worries
emotion-5.gif

Sounds like you've got a great set-up though; just need a stand-alone CDP now and you'll be laughing. It'll be a big upgrade over the DVD player youre using currently!

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I know I know sir....I shall do when funds are available. But theres no harm in looking around for a good CDP is there now?
emotion-4.gif

Just wondering what would fit nicely with this kind of setup. Out of the Marantz CD6003 and the Rotel RD06, I preferred the Rotel at my day of demoing. But this cambridge audio player ain't half bad.

Had a listen to 'Road to Perdition Soundtrack' by Thomas Newman last night, WOW!! I'm listening to all my music and everything sounds different. More engaging, more theatrical and everythings got a sound stage to it. Only downside is, MP3s really do show up on their lack of quality now. Playing 'Welcome to Lunar Industries' by Clint Mansell, first via Laptop/USB in 320kbps, and then with it burnt onto an audio CD at same speed. Clear winner, CD! How does that make sense?!? Its the same inregards to bit rate quality but on CD it sounds a lot better?! Can anyone explain the logic behind this?

Oh and here are the pics I promised. My new TV and hifi!

14m837c.jpg

2hq9pxf.jpg

63wsuc.jpg

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Lovely pictures Sir. They look a million times better with the grills off!

I hope you've gone by your username and christened them with with Illmatic, It was Written and God's Son.

EDIT: just spotted the shisha in the back. I see you are all set for excellent listening sessions.

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
hahaha was wondering when someone would notice that. Reminds me, got to get some more flavour and coal.

Christened them with 'Affirmative Action' of course! Never sounded so good!

Don't know what it is with these speakers, the yellow looking kevlar should look out of place...but it doesn't. They look kick ass! I LOVE HIFI!!

oops sorry, just a little excited now that I've lost my hifi virginity
emotion-10.gif

Nas88

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry about not replying for the past 3 days as I have been stuck to my sofa for at least 8 hours a day listening to the speakers develop. Tested pretty much all types of genres and the thing I picked up on is recordings of certain artists. I noticed some albums the likes of 'Brand New Second Hand' by Roots Manuva sounded great with instrumentals but his vocals were just way too over-bearing. But with 'Number Ones' by Michael Jackon sounded exceptional! Best recording by far!

As with regards to CD Player, when playing something with a lot going on i.e 'Everything In Its Right Place' by Radiohead....it all seemed too much for the speakers or could this be my cd player not being able to handle all that info? Timing sounded bad, all a little muddled?

Other than that....I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS!! Only at about 135 degrees on volume and the house is coming down! Every genre seems to work amazingly and I have never appreciated Thomas Newman's music like that before.

TRENDING THREADS