B&W 602 s3 ..... still amazes me!

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well the missus is out for the night with friends so I thought I would ship the 602's from her house (where my second system resides, or as she has recently started putting it, 'her' system...
smiley-undecided.gif
) to see how they sound with my Naim gear compared to the 683's...

result... wow, I knew they were special the first time I heard them in the shop 6 years ago but Ive never heard them sing like this. Obviously they are probably showing their maximum performance on the end of the XS but they really do give the 683's a run for their money. Its also made me realise how I really do not need floor standers in my room as they just about show the low note in 'Sk8er Boi - Avril lavigne' (great test of bass frequency reach btw) and have just as much energy and not far off the realism. The only thing where the 683's show their prowess over them is possibly in midrange and high end detail, and obviously they reach a little further down. I realise that B&W and Naim arent the ideal pairing but the 602's give me great hope for the PM1's im going to listen to in a week or so working with my kit.

so if anyone is thinking of a pair of 2-300 quid speakers if you can actually manage to find a pair, my recommendation goes to the 602 s3's!

so anyone wanna buy a pair of 683's haha?
smiley-wink.gif

I think I will honestly never get rid of my 602's and it will be a sad day when they give up the ghost, if they ever do!

anyone else got any equipment that they feel is a real world beater?

regards

tyranniux42 said:
Well the missus is out for the night with friends so I thought I would ship the 602's from her house (where my second system resides, or as she has recently started putting it, 'her' system...
smiley-undecided.gif
) to see how they sound with my Naim gear compared to the 683's...

result... wow, I knew they were special the first time I heard them in the shop 6 years ago but Ive never heard them sing like this. Obviously they are probably showing their maximum performance on the end of the XS but they really do give the 683's a run for their money. Its also made me realise how I really do not need floor standers in my room as they just about show the low note in 'Sk8er Boi - Avril lavigne' (great test of bass frequency reach btw) and have just as much energy and not far off the realism. The only thing where the 683's show their prowess over them is possibly in midrange and high end detail, and obviously they reach a little further down. I realise that B&W and Naim arent the ideal pairing but the 602's give me great hope for the PM1's im going to listen to in a week or so working with my kit.

so if anyone is thinking of a pair of 2-300 quid speakers if you can actually manage to find a pair, my recommendation goes to the 602 s3's!

so anyone wanna buy a pair of 683's haha?
smiley-wink.gif

I think I will honestly never get rid of my 602's and it will be a sad day when they give up the ghost, if they ever do!

anyone else got any equipment that they feel is a real world beater?

regards

After listening to your speakers numerous times over the years, they are pound-for-pound one of the best speakers available. Certainly prefer them to the 685s. Shame they're not made anymore.

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't mind 'em, how much?
smiley-sealed.gif

The 60x series' were really good. I actually tried running two LCR600's as a stereo set for a laugh and was incredibly impressed with them...

Don't expect them to ever give up the ghost, they're incredibly well built too!

As for world-beater. I have to say that the value for money of the original B&W Nautilus 804s is just exceptional. I've had some in which will be leaving soon and both texture and detail are at minimum on par with some of the £20,000 Linn actives I've heard. The tweeters in them are also amazing and the non-rubber-rimmed drive unit is really well isolated (in terms of the crossover) and brings guitars through in an incredible manner. It stuns me that this sort of performance can be had for about £2000.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What they worth? haha
smiley-wink.gif

after a few hours listening im convinced they image better than thge 683's but they are in a completely different position in the room so its probably an unfair test...

excited to hear the PM1 they should be spectacular, and hopefully easy to drive!

tyranniux42 said:
What they worth? haha
smiley-wink.gif

after a few hours listening im convinced they image better than thge 683's but they are in a completely different position in the room so its probably an unfair test...

excited to hear the PM1 they should be spectacular, and hopefully easy to drive!

No idea how much there worth. This is the wrong forum for guessing games - I suggest you check one of the auction sites.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
tyranniux42 said:
What they worth? haha
smiley-wink.gif

No idea how much there worth. This is the wrong forum for guessing games - I suggest you check one of the auction sites. Good luck.

Hey, you have me kicking around, this is my forté!

Under the best conditions, ie, selling them yourself, mint condition, all accessories, original boxes, expect £650-£675. Apologies if this breaks any rules somehow...

tyranniux42 said:
What they worth? haha
smiley-wink.gif

If you're so attached to the 602s why do'you want to sell?

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
tyranniux42 said:
What they worth? haha
smiley-wink.gif

If you're so attached to the 602s why do'you want to sell?

I think he meant (jokingly) he'd sell the 685s and keep the little 602s :).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I must admit I'm looking to replace my 602 S3s more for a change (preferably to something with a glossy finish), than for any shortcomings in their performance, expecially now I'm running them with a sub.

The other reason is I feel I may be short-changing myself running a pair of £300 speakers off the end of about £1500 of amp/power amp and £900 CDP.

My 602s will be 9 y.o this summer!

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris said:
I must admit I'm looking to replace my 602 S3s more for a change (preferably to something with a glossy finish), than for any shortcomings in their performance, expecially now I'm running them with a sub.

The other reason is I feel I may be short-changing myself running a pair of £300 speakers off the end of about £1500 of amp/power amp and £900 CDP.

My 602s will be 9 y.o this summer!

Your not short changing your self, Ken Kessler raved about them, they punch well above there weight.

I had a pair in London with a Linn Kollector Pre, Sugden A21AP Power, Marantz CD 17 MK2 KI CDP and they sounded supurb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts