AXA35 - CXC (v2) - DacMagic 100

phonohead

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
Greetings,

This may be a "down to one's own preferences and ears" as far as the sonics goes. However, I'd like some opinions from people, beyond the obvious conjecture that his is a subjective inquiry.

I've got a CXC (v2), a DacMagic 100 and no amp. I am loyal to the brand, so I'm thinking of pairing these components with the AXA35. I don't want, or need, an amplifier with BlueTooth, Wifi, DACs and other digital/wireless connections - fearing they might be outdated at some point. A stand-alone DAC is better in this case.

I am quite new to this field, so I am curious if this pairing might be an overkill for the AXA35?

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Yes and no, the axa 35 is a decent amplifier and probably one of the better integrated amps at its price point, that said, The cxa61 is a much better amplifier. As soon as you plug the two in side by side and listen to them one right after the other the cxa61 comes across as the much more mature sounding, better sound staging And everything.

Well you might be of the opinion you don't want an internal DAC because of future outdatedness, the reality is that's irrelevant. The cxa61 has a built-in digital converter however down the line should that be come outdated somehow you can still use one of the many analog inputs on the amplifier itself and never use the DAC again.

So you might ask yourself why am I buying something that I eventually won't use, in the case of the Dac, I would say to you that what you're paying for is a better quality amplifier that will stand the test of time much more than the axa35. Not only will it stand the test of time better, build quality is higher and also you'll be able to operate not only the amplifier but your streamer all with the same remote.

So at the end of the day it sounds like to me that the cxa 61 is the better proposition, not only is it the better proposition in the short term from a sound quality perspective, it's also a better proposition in the long term because you're getting something that you will never feel the need to upgrade because you want something that sounds better. Because to better the 61 requires far more money in my opinion.

Reactions: phonohead

phonohead

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
Yes, the CXA61 is a far better amplifier - both in long-term value, sonics and build. However, that leads me back to the point of not wanting to pay for Bluetooth and internal DACs that may become outdated at some point.

However, the DAC in the CXA61 will probably "never" be too old or outdated for reading a digital stream from a CD transport - in this case the CXC (v2)?

The only gripe is the BlueTooth connection. aptX-HD may already be an old standard, but it's probably good enough should I ever resort to streaming files directly from my phone or other device using BlueTooth. Which I never will do for casual listening.

My other option, apart from the AXA35, and still within the Cambridge seires, would be the older Azur 851a. Nothing digital.

Reactions: Al ears

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Yes, the CXA61 is a far better amplifier - both in long-term value, sonics and build. However, that leads me back to the point of not wanting to pay for Bluetooth and internal DACs that may become outdated at some point.

However, the DAC in the CXA61 will probably "never" be too old or outdated for reading a digital stream from a CD transport - in this case the CXC (v2)?

The only gripe is the BlueTooth connection. aptX-HD may already be an old standard, but it's probably good enough should I ever resort to streaming files directly from my phone or other device using BlueTooth. Which I never will do for casual listening.

My other option, apart from the AXA35, and still within the Cambridge seires, would be the older Azur 851a. Nothing digital.
Well that's my point why does the Bluetooth matter, it doesn't and don't think of it as that you're paying for the Bluetooth that you're not going to use. Think of it that you're paying for a much more expensive amplifier that is much better quality, that's what you're paying for.

Forget the Bluetooth, The CXA 61 is a far better amplifier all day even without considering the Bluetooth. Me personally if I was in your position I would buy it solely for the quality of amplification that it is not even considering anything else, and if I didn't ever use any of the other features of the amplifier other than its analog inputs I would be as happy as could be.

All that said, the axa35 is a decent amplifier and as I said it is at its price bracket one of the better options, I don't think you would be wrong in getting it. Plus by purchasing it you're saving money and also the axa35 I forgot to mention has tone controls and a balance control. Not important to everybody but important to a lot of people.

Reactions: phonohead

Jasonovich

Greetings,

This may be a "down to one's own preferences and ears" as far as the sonics goes. However, I'd like some opinions from people, beyond the obvious conjecture that his is a subjective inquiry.

I've got a CXC (v2), a DacMagic 100 and no amp. I am loyal to the brand, so I'm thinking of pairing these components with the AXA35. I don't want, or need, an amplifier with BlueTooth, Wifi, DACs and other digital/wireless connections - fearing they might be outdated at some point. A stand-alone DAC is better in this case.

I am quite new to this field, so I am curious if this pairing might be an overkill for the AXA35?
Kudos to you for your loyality to the brand, but you should look beyond the paraphet, you'll be surprised what's out there :)

gasolin

6 ohm and 90.5 db should be more than find if they are anything like dali spektor 6

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts