AVI Neutron 2.1

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone heard the above system? I currently have some Neutron 5s with a cambridge audio 740A and C which I am very happy with but like the idea of having a sub for films. I am also thinking of getting something for streaming music from my computer in the near future and was wondering if the sound quality through this new amp/DAC/sub combo would be much better than what I have. could I use the 740C as a DAC to improve sound quality for streaming?

Realy what I think I am asking is would the £900 spent on the sub for the system be worth it over what I already have? I would sell the 740A to fund it.

I ama not particularly clued up on getting music to sound good from a computer so please excuse my ignorance!

A

Anonymous

This system isn't on their online store so may not be released yet?

I read elsewhere on the website that the internal amplification is much better than the old Lab Series, which was highly regarded back in the day. I loved mine.

A

Anonymous

The old Lab Series was just extremely clean and powerful. I didn't hear the pre and power. I used it with older Neutrons.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
sounds like it would suit my taste then, I will have to wait and see if I can get a demo soon ish.

Does anyone know the release date of the sub in question?

John Duncan

I thought Ashley had said it was out, though I'm not sure...

Personally though, I can't accommodate a sub, and personally would a) stick with the gear you have, using the DAC in the 740 fed from a streamer (I have Airport Express), and add a cheaper sub.

A

Anonymous

It depends on the ultimate quality of the system though.

Cambridge is generally best in class, but AVI claimed that amp's in the sub outperform the Lab Series, which was a well regarded £1,600 amplifier a while back.

I suspect they're using the Wolfson WM8741 DAC again, which again, is top of the range. What's more, that 10" drive unit in the photographs is one of the most expensive around. I've only seen it in the top-end RELs.

On paper it seems good but the proof will be in the pudding. Maybe get one on demo and compare it to the Cambridge.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply John,

I think I would need to hear the AVI sub. I do not feel that for rmusic I realy neeed a sub but the idea of having an amp that is better than the AVI lab series amps and a sub for less than the cost of the lab series was quite a tempting idea. I also thought that it would be a compromise for the lady of the house on on a surround package films. think I will be lining up a listen when it is out.

How would you rate the airport express sound through a external DAC? would I get much better if I spent more for example a squeezebox or would there not be much difference?

A

Anonymous

When using an external DAC an Airport Express, SqueezeBox, etc, all sound identical.

John Duncan

Can't comment on the Squeezebox as I haven't heard one, but I'd expect Eddie to be correct. If you already have an iPhone or iPod touch, I'd get an airport express, since a) you're already using iTunes (a prerequisite) and b) the 'pod and touch work as a remote, which is very nice.

If you don't, Squeezebox is a little more user friendly, but you need to run the server on your PC.

I use my AE/DAC (in a Primare/Neutron Vs setup) almost exclusively over my CD player, because it sounds better.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I do have an i phone so that sounds very tempting, one of the things that had put me off it was that I had to use my computer to operate it.

Many thanks for your advice and info John and Eddie I will let you know what it sounds like when I get a listen!

A

Anonymous

I do hope you demo and report back, although it will be impossible to find those two brands in the same store.

Where in the country are you? Are you in the UK?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I am in London. Called Bartletts hifi who sold me my Neutron Vs and they didn't know when the sub would be out so he called AVI and was told that due to large demands for their products overseas they have delayed the release of the sub until September. was quite surpised seeing as they are already advertising it on their website.

Nevermind, I suppose it will give me time to think if I realy need a sub and save some more money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts