AVI ADM9 challenge

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Please try to keep this civilized! Obviously this will involve lots of subjective opinion.

Could ADM9 owners also say what they might have as an alternative/second system?

Challenge:

Make a system with the same/similar functionality as AVI ADM9's that sounds as good or better in some areas. With or without AVI sub.

Please say what areas you think it is better in and why.

Rules:

Budget no higher than cost of ADM9 with or without sub. If including the sub the budget goes up accordingly for the separates system.

Must be new equipment including any needed accessories such as interconnects & speaker cables to make it functionally the same as ADM9's

Must have similar features – DAC, amp, speakers (no need to include source)

You can use all-in-one's, separates, book shelf or floor standing speakers, pro equipment – anything that in used for music reproduction

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The answer is pretty obvious. They'll have more AVIs, such is the power of the puppet master!

Honestly why give so much free publicity to such an unworthy cause.

From a clueless beginner who doesn't realise bass boom isn't hifi.

J

jcbrum

AVI ADM9s seem to be as famous for their exceptional performance and VFM . . . .

. . . . as lemons are for their bitterness ;)

Merry Christmas, lemon, and everyone :grin:

JC

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The answer is pretty obvious. They'll have more AVIs, such is the power of the puppet master!

For the purpose of this challenge an alternative to AVI ADM9's has to be used.

There are some members of this forum who own ADM9's and other systems.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
AVI ADM9s seem to be as famous for their exceptional performance and VFM . . . .

. . . . as lemons are for their bitterness ;)

Merry Christmas, lemon, and everyone :grin:

JC

... and to you JC, one of the more knowledgeble voices

regards

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
In the back of my mind something was saying 'Don't do it! Don't post this question! You know what responses you'll get!'.

Should have listened.

Oh well.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
In the back of my mind something was saying 'Don't do it! Don't post this question! You know what responses you'll get!'.

Should have listened.

Oh well.

Yes,it was rather stupid......................

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If I'd try to match 'like for like' ... I'd need a small/medium sized standmount, DAC/Pre-amplifier and powerful amplifier of neutral sound.

Probably something like a pair of Quad 12L2's, a Dacmagic and a Cambridge Audio 840V2 or, slightly over, an 851A

regards

J

jcbrum

Hewlett Packard became a company famous throughout the world for the excellence of their products.

Not bad, for a business which started out as two blokes in a shed.

:clap:

JC

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Something that sounds as good for the same amount of money? I have not heard everything out there by any means, but my experience so far is it can't be done. The ADMs are better than everything I've spent time with, I'd say only the Event Opals competed - the Opals have better bass but cost more than the ADMs + sub, and that's without a DAC or pre-amp. And the Opals were better than everything I'd owned before by a long shot.

Smooth, clear, dynamic - love 'em. I've not heard something I'd rather have.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
As someone who is coming back to Hi Fi, having sold most of my gear because it was going to be in store for years whilst house building / renovating I'm quite tempted by the ADMs - they 'seem' to do everything I want of a system these days (primary source will be Sonos).

I'd be really interested if someone could briefly and sensibly explain the animosity and vitriol that comes along as soon as they are mentioned on here? I understand its a different approach to traditional Hi Fi... but so what? Is there something I've missed?

My house is all wood floors and loads of glass so I'm still tempted to go down the 'old' seperates route in order to tune a system to be less bright than I imagine the ADMs might be in my house but will demo both in due course - just don't understand why the 2 ideas don't sit well together in some peoples minds?

Apologies for hijacking the thread somewhat

matthewpiano

BillDay66 said:
As someone who is coming back to Hi Fi, having sold most of my gear because it was going to be in store for years whilst house building / renovating I'm quite tempted by the ADMs - they 'seem' to do everything I want of a system these days (primary source will be Sonos).

I'd be really interested if someone could briefly and sensibly explain the animosity and vitriol that comes along as soon as they are mentioned on here? I understand its a different approach to traditional Hi Fi... but so what? Is there something I've missed?

My house is all wood floors and loads of glass so I'm still tempted to go down the 'old' seperates route in order to tune a system to be less bright than I imagine the ADMs might be in my house but will demo both in due course - just don't understand why the 2 ideas don't sit well together in some peoples minds?

Apologies for hijacking the thread somewhat

I think the best thing is to try to ignore all the vitriol and political rubbish and just focus on choosing the equipment that best serves your needs. If Sonos is your source I personally think actives will serve you better than anything else. I would suggest auditioning the AVIs - the 5s as well as the 9s - as I think they could be just the thing for your needs. You might also wish to look at Quad's new 9AS actives at £599.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
BillDay66 said:

I think it's more AVI's fans than the product themselves (a bit like Naim).

Someone could post on here asking for a recommendation for tea bags and would be instantly told to buy some AVI speakers.

J

jcbrum

I have it on good authority that AVI are developing a new model, to be designated 'English Breakfast Loudspeakers'.

A notable critic of this concept is Altruistic.Earl Grey.

JC

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
FennerMachine said:

Should have listened.

Oh well.

I'll bite, just for amusement of course.

Most obvious choice for me would be a pair of Adam Artist 6 floorstanders and a Matrix Mini I dac preamp and pro mic cables for interconnects, no need to pay silly money for 'hi-fi' balanced leads.

Digital inputs are more varied than on the 9RSS and there are no analogue inputs but in exchange you get a decent headphone amp and a volume readout on the display, something I find quite useful.

Depending where you buy, the price is slightly cheaper than a pair of 9RSS and stands. If you want a sub the Adam Artist 7 and BK XLS400 come in at substantially less than the AVI and if you want something more cabable then there are more potent models from the Adam pro range.

A passive system would be something else though, I would not give houseroom to many of the more obvious choices but if I was going down that route I might go for the Epiphany version of the ODac into a Croft Line Integrated driving a pair of Dali Xensor 3 if i had the space. If I really had to have a remote I would replace the Croft with The Creek 50a, possibly with it's own dac module. If the Dalis were a bit big for the room then maybe the Concept 20s, all with good basic cables.

The passive system is entirely speculative though, I have really not heard anything close to that combo and am largely going on what I know of the individual components, most of which I have tried in different setups.

J

jcbrum

altruistic.lemon said:
Merry Christmas to you too, Spam boy!

Oh dear, - should I respond with an equally seasonal description of you ?

Turkey ?

:silenced:

JC

(just kidding, lemon ;) )

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
As I said in previous threads I have not heard Nubert's new nuPro series yet but on top of my head they are the only thing with the same features as AVI's ADM9RS (excluding the recently-unveiled Quads).

Now let's take a look at pricing (shipped to the UK):

- AVI ADM9RS = £1,250.00 | 1,495.22€

- Nubert nuPro A-300 = £921.44 | 1,102,50€

- AVI ADM9RS + ADM9 Subwoofer = £2,050.00 | 2,453.07€

- Nubert nuPro A-300 + AW-350 subwoofer = £1,304.76 | 1,561.00€

davedotco said:
Most obvious choice for me would be a pair of Adam Artist 6 floorstanders and a Matrix Mini I dac preamp and pro mic cables for interconnects, no need to pay silly money for 'hi-fi' balanced leads.

Funny that you would mention this, that's exactly what I will be getting in a few days.

(the new Matrix Mini-i though, with 24/192 over USB)

And a very merry Chrsitmas to all, from the hot (and rainy) island of Mauritius!

John Duncan

Seems you could get Quad 9AS and a subwoofer for the price of ADM9.1s. Bass will not be an issue in view of the sub and they have an active crossover and therefore must, by definition, be 1,000 times better than any passive alternative, right? Or is it actually more complicated than that and the manufacturer has been talking EDITED all this time?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
As I said in previous threads I have not heard Nubert's new nuPro series yet but on top of my head they are the only thing with the same features as AVI's ADM9RS (excluding the recently-unveiled Quads).

Now let's take a look at pricing (shipped to the UK):

- AVI ADM9RS = £1,250.00 | 1,495.22€

- Nubert nuPro A-300 = £921.44 | 1,102,50€

- AVI ADM9RS + ADM9 Subwoofer = £2,050.00 | 2,453.07€

- Nubert nuPro A-300 + AW-350 subwoofer = £1,304.76 | 1,561.00€

davedotco said:

Funny that you would mention this, that's exactly what I will be getting in a few days.

(the new Matrix Mini-i though, with 24/192 over USB)

And a very merry Chrsitmas to all, from the hot (and rainy) island of Mauritius!

Some years ago we used to vist friends on Reunion, not a million miles away. Shame about the weather, is it the rainy season, I forget.

Anyway this is a very interesting setup, let us know how you get on....... :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts