Avi adm9.1

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I like the sound of my system but I have been thinking that I could step up to the adm 9.1 without having to add much money if I sold my current set up. My main question is that as the adm 9.1 has a built in DAC could I use any transport eg a DVD recorder to play CDs and get a similar sound as through a good CD player? It is likely that I would be moving to streming music from a pc but I think CD playback would be wanted by the other half.
I have not heard the adm 9.1s yet but from what I have read they are the kind of sound I would like. Does anyone know if they have the same kink of sound as the neutrons?
Any thoughts would be great.

Messiah

Yeah you can use any player as a transport and just feed the ADMs the digital signal and they'll do the rest!

Not sure how they sound compared to the Neutrons but they are superb.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
Yeah you can use any player as a transport and just feed the ADMs the digital signal and they'll do the rest!

Not sure how they sound compared to the Neutrons but they are superb.

thanks for that Messiah! just a quick question; do you use your ps3 for CD playback or do you stream music? Just thinking about how many inputs I would need as it is a little restricted but I suppose the bresford you have gets around that. How do the spekers sound through bresford?

Messiah

I play CDs using the Pioneer DVD player.

I have streamed music using the Apple Airport Express but I connect my laptop directly know using the USB input on the Beresford.

Sound throught the Beresford - just as excellent as the inbuilt DAC. Like you say it, does improve on the limited connections.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
I play CDs using the Pioneer DVD player.

I have streamed music using the Apple Airport Express but I connect my laptop directly know using the USB input on the Beresford.

Sound throught the Beresford - just as excellent as the inbuilt DAC. Like you say it, does improve on the limited connections.

The Pioneer is quite a good DVD player isn't it? I just want to be clear that I could use any transport and get a comparable sound due to the in built DAC on the AVI's. I ask as I was thinking I would just use a HDD DVD recorder for TV, DVD and CD so I would only use one of the optical inputs and use the other for streaming.

Did you hear a difference between streaming and the USB connection?

Messiah

The Pioneer is an excellent DVD player but I would expect similar results from your DVD recorder.

I have not heard much, if any difference between streaming and using the USB input. But to be honest I am now past the stage where I scrutinise every change of source so there may be a difference but not one that I can say stands out.

As you have mentioned - you should demo them and see what you think. I think you will be impressed.
emotion-2.gif

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have a shop not far away that sells them so I think I will be booking in a time to have a good long listen! I think I may be very tempted from what I have read!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Jesus, why are you going to feed the AVIs with the beresford?

As 'Messiah' said earlier......

Messiah:I have streamed music using the Apple Airport Express but I connect my
laptop directly now using the USB input on the Beresford.

Sound throught the Beresford - just as excellent
as the inbuilt DAC. Like you say it, does improve on the limited
connections.

And the AVIs don't have USB.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:Even so, it is a little odd, given how HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED was always banging on about how the DACs in the 9.1s were the best in the world, or summink...

do you think it would make much of a difference using the beresford then?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
bay24:...do you think it would make much of a difference using the beresford then?

If you are short of inputs and/or need USB like person 'Messiah' then yes.

I meant in terms of sound quality; I understand the gains in connections.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bay24:the_lhc:Even so, it is a little odd, given how HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED was always banging on about how the DACs in the 9.1s were the best in the world, or summink...

do you think it would make much of a difference using the beresford then?

You need to ask the manufacturer but they make a big deal out of having everything integrated into the speaker, so one would assume they believe their DAC to be pretty good. Ash^H^H^H-HWMNBN seemed to think it wasn't worth having a seperate DAC.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bay24:

I meant in terms of sound quality; I understand the gains in connections.

Well, given that 'Messiah' owns the ADM9.1s and the Beresford, and uses them together and then clearly states further up in this thread...

"Sound throught the Beresford - just as excellent as the inbuilt DAC."

I think that is the answer you needed already given.

Messiah

To clarify I have the Beresford for several reasons:

1. It provides a decent headphone output

2. It expands on the limited connections on the ADMs

3. Better control of the volume as volume control over the ADMs with the remote is often frustrating as it seems to take an age sometimes to get the it adjusted. (not sure if you have this issue Al??)

4. I don't notice much difference, if any, between the 2 DACs.

5 The Beresford has nice blue LEDs!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:

To clarify I have the Beresford for several reasons:

1. It provides a decent headphone output

2. It expands on the limited connections on the ADMs

3. Better control of the volume as volume control over the ADMs with the remote is often frustrating as it seems to take an age sometimes to get the it adjusted. (not sure if you have this issue Al??)

4. I don't notice much difference, if any, between the 2 DACs.

5 The Beresford has nice blue LEDs!

Fair enough!
emotion-21.gif

The volume adjustment seems a bit slow to me but ive not been frustrated by it yet.

Messiah

al7478:

Fair enough!
emotion-21.gif

The volume adjustment seems a bit slow to me but ive not been frustrated by it yet.

Sometimes it is OK but sometimes it seems like it is not picking up the remote signal. Still, a minor gripe and one I can live with (or work around).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts