Avi ADM 9.1 - how good are they? Really...

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am in the market for a stereosetup. I was looking to get myself an amp, dac and speakers, but then I discovered the ADM9.1s and the seem to offer it "all" in one package.

But how good are these babies really, say compared to ATC SCM11s on a decent 1K£ amplifier with a decent dac?

Are they recommended, or do they sound "harsh" as some state?

A

Anonymous

Just listened to some B&O active gear which sounded fabulous. I wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard.

What's your budget?

A

Anonymous

Well I haven't seen them being described as harsh but from the figures alone, it's apparent they don't have much low end response. So you may find them lacking in bas which of course could be addressed by purchasing the matching sub but after you have done so, there isn't going to be a great deal of difference in the cost. I haven't heard the ATC's either, so I am not saying whether they are better or worse, just cautioning that with the ADM's alone, you may feel it needs more bass.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
they are very good. In my opinion I think you would realy struggle to get an amp/dac/speaker combo that sounds as good for the same price. My system is worth about £1500 new and I am thinkin of upgrading to them. I have not heard the atc speakers but they are only about £300 less than the adms and you don't get an amp or a dac so I think it is a bit of an unfair comparrison. I would not say they were harsh at all but very revealing of the recording, the bass is not earth shattering so if that's what you want they are probably not for you. Saying that if you are using a computer as the main source and you don't need lots of inputs they should deffinately be on a shortlist to listen to.

A

Anonymous

jakja83 ... from what I have observed ... there have been many more positive reviews from owners than bad ....

however, it's best to have a listen yourself before deciding

A

Anonymous

dim_span:
jakja83 ... from what I have observed ... there have been many more positive reviews from owners than bad ....

Think you'll find that's the case with all brands. We tend to buy things we like.

A

Anonymous

Hi jakja83 we really love our 9.1,s we haven't heard the atc's,but from what I have read they may have similar traits Hounesty to what you are playing for 1. The atc's may have more bass with the right amp and dac but would cost more than the avi's with sub.We don't have a sub for now but we will get one at some time for movies end the sky+, we listen to ost music but noy really classical Joe Bonnamassa,Santana,Eric Bibb and female vocal to name a few.We play and enjoy so much more music now that we have found the Avi's.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Just listened to some B&O active gear which sounded fabulous. I wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard.

But of course having never heard them you couldn't possibly back that comment up, could you?

T

the record spot

I think they have the potential to be one of the defining bits of kit of the current hifi generation.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
Grottyash:Just listened to some B&O active gear which sounded fabulous. I wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard.

But of course having never heard them you couldn't possibly back that comment up, could you?

Why so aggressive? And if you look at what I've written, you'll see there's nothing to back up. 'I wouldn't think' isn't the same as I think.

Still wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard. After all, they are half the price of the basic B&Os.....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:the_lhc:Grottyash:Just listened to some B&O active gear which sounded fabulous. I wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard.

Why so aggressive?

I'm not being aggressive, I'm simply querying how you can comment on a product you admit you know nothing about and have no experience of.

And if you look at what I've written, you'll see there's nothing to back up. 'I wouldn't think' isn't the same as I think.

That doesn't stop it from being a totally meaningless statement. It just boggles my mind how anyone can offer an opinion on something they have no experience of. There's thousands of hi-fi products I've never heard or have only heard fleetingly at the Bristol Show once a year, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone which one of those products to buy. At best I might point someone at WHF's reviews of said kit but in this case that's not an option as the AVIs haven't been reviewed.

My local newspaper used to have a film reviewer that couldn't get to see films in time for the deadline (the paper was published on Thursday, cut-off for copy was Tuesday, most films go on release Thursday or Friday and she wasn't important enough to go to press screenings), so every week she "reviewed" films she hadn't seen. Every review contained phrases like "word on the street is this is rubbish" and "scuttlebutt says this is worth seeing", it was the most utterly pointless review column I've ever read, thankfully she doesn't write for them anymore and they buy reviews in from someone who can go to press screenings.

Still wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard. After all, they are half the price of the basic B&Os.....

An opinion based entirely on speculation. Are you saying it's impossible for a product to better something that's twice the price? I'm pretty sure you could find plenty of cases that prove that wrong.

I'm sorry if this offends you but I just find it completely illogical to offer advice on something you know nothing whatsoever about.

Messiah

the record spot:I think they have the potential to be one of the defining bits of kit of the current hifi generation.

You have been spending some time over at HDD, seems to be having an effect!
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I think they have the potential to be one of the defining bits of kit of the current hifi generation.

as a 2nd system, I think it's the way forward .... however, I also think that there will be many other manufacturers who will 'jump on the bandwagon' ....

A

Anonymous

When I heard the ADMs I was very impressed. Fullstop. I've heard a few systems over the years but this is the only kit that left me baffled when I looked at the pricetag. They do bass very well, that is, accurately and without distortion. Thus they sound lightweight compared to kit that isn't fully controlled. I rather like a little bit of colour to take the edge off CDs as many are hard sounding. That and the fact that I already have kit are why I don't own some. Thoroughly recommended but audition first. Ashley James of AVI will be happy to help, I'm sure.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Grottyash:the_lhc:Grottyash:Just listened to some B&O active gear which sounded fabulous. I wouldn't think the AVIs would be of the same standard.

Why so aggressive?

I'm not being aggressive, I'm simply querying how you can comment on a product you admit you know nothing about and have no experience of.

And if you look at what I've written, you'll see there's nothing to back up. 'I wouldn't think' isn't the same as I think.

That doesn't stop it from being a totally meaningless statement. It just boggles my mind how anyone can offer an opinion on something they have no experience of. There's thousands of hi-fi products I've never heard or have only heard fleetingly at the Bristol Show once a year, I wouldn't dream of telling anyone which one of those products to buy. At best I might point someone at WHF's reviews of said kit but in this case that's not an option as the AVIs haven't been reviewed.

My local newspaper used to have a film reviewer that couldn't get to see films in time for the deadline (the paper was published on Thursday, cut-off for copy was Tuesday, most films go on release Thursday or Friday and she wasn't important enough to go to press screenings), so every week she "reviewed" films she hadn't seen. Every review contained phrases like "word on the street is this is rubbish" and "scuttlebutt says this is worth seeing", it was the most utterly pointless review column I've ever read, thankfully she doesn't write for them anymore and they buy reviews in from someone who can go to press screenings.

An opinion based entirely on speculation. Are you saying it's impossible for a product to better something that's twice the price? I'm pretty sure you could find plenty of cases that prove that wrong.

I'm sorry if this offends you but I just find it completely illogical to offer advice on something you know nothing whatsoever about.

Even more aggression!
emotion-1.gif

I think you've misunderstood something fundamental about our wondrous language here. I offered no opinion on the AVIs, only on the B&O speakers. Perhaps it would have been clearer if I'd said "I'd imagine that". Mind you, if you'll allow me the analogy, I'd also think that a Rolls Royce is a better car than a Ford Fiesta, and I'll leave you to guess which I've actually driven!

Anyway, I think enough has been said and would rather not see the thread descend into a meaningless argument about semantics, so will stop here.

The Beosound 6000s did sound something special, though

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Even more aggression!
emotion-1.gif

No, it's a conversation, one in which I'm disagreeing with you. That does not require or imply any aggression at all. Trust me, you'd know if I was being aggressive and it's something I don't do here because it gets you slapped down by the mods quicker than you can say "you stupi...<click><brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr>

A question about active speakers in general:

Apart from needing minimal space (the OH would love that) what is the main appeal of active speakers? and up against a good standard budget set-up - Rotel RA-04/B&W 685 for instance - how would these stack up sound quality-wise?

I'm trying to ascertain where, in the grand scheme of things, these active stand.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc really makes my day sometimes
emotion-1.gif

And for the record, I think the B&O speakers are well overpriced. They sound ok, but nothing special, and when you push them they become ragged and harsh. Lifestyle product only.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Ah, that's better - now this feels more like a proper AVI speaker thread...

Not yet.

No-one has used the words 'foo' (or 'audiophool') or accused anyone else of listening to hifi yet. (You are supposed to measure it to gain maximum enjoyment.)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:And for the record, I think the B&O speakers are well overpriced. They sound ok, but nothing special, and when you push them they become ragged and harsh. Lifestyle product only.

That does not tally with my recent experience of Beolab 3 and 5 active speakers when I heard them last month (or other B&O equipment I have listened to in the past.)

I would love to have a B&O AV system one day and don't care admitting it. Nothing wrong with a company making stuff that looks fantastic and has a high degree of fit & finish and is engineered well either. I am fed up with some 'purist' british hifi that still looks like it was knocked up in someone's garage and belongs (aesthetically) in an industrial switchgear room rather than a living room. (And yes, I am aware that my Naim stuff belongs squarely in the 'fugly' school of hifi aesthetics.)

chebby:

Andrew Everard:Ah, that's better - now this feels more like a proper AVI speaker thread...

Not yet.

No-one has used the words 'foo' (or 'audiophool') or accused anyone else of listening to hifi yet. (You are supposed to measure it to gain maximum enjoyment.)

LOL......1-1

T

the record spot

Messiah:

You have been spending some time over at HDD, seems to be having an effect!
emotion-4.gif
emotion-2.gif

Not at all, far from it in fact, and I should add I think the Linn LP12 is one of the most iconic products in hifi full stop. I'll let you work out the reaction that would get over there!
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS