AV receivers with quality HiFi performance

TheFluffyDog

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I am a new users here and someone purchasing my first high performance audio system. However, I want a system that will provide performance for years to come.

The important things I am looking for are high quality stereo with good bass response and punch, without sacrificing home theatre capability. To give you an idea of where I am at, this is the setup I am looking to buy in the near future.

Cmbridge Audio 351r AV receiver

Monitor Audio Bronze Series BX2's for the front

I am most concerned about hi quality stereo, I dont want to sacrafice music qualtiy for extra features.

Here are a few questions to help you understand what i am looking for.

I have been told that this cambridge audio AV receiver will out perform equivalent marantz AV receivers when concerning Hi-Fi stereo from my front speakers. What do you guys know about that comparison?

I have been told that the cambridge audio receiver has less digital processing than other comparable receivers, and would therfore preserve the natural air and spaciousness that I desire in a Hi-Fi setup, with the Bronze BX2's would I be able to pick up and more subtle differences such as this?

I have already listened to The bronze BX2's and compared them to Paradigm Atom Montitors as well as Paradigm Mini Monitors, and i did seem to like the Bx2's spaciousness over the extra punch that the paradigms provided. What are other comparable brands and models that are comparable to the BX2's?

These are my main concerns, and my budget is 1.3k. I've been to a few showrooms and heard different speakers and receivers, but before I trust the salesman i want to make sure i am making a rock solid decision.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi fluffydog,what is your budget?

Would you consider adding a seperate integrated stereo amp to an avr? :)

g777o

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Arcam AVRs are selling at half price, as the new models are due.

AVR 360 £750

AVR 400 £1000

Nothing comes close for AVR stereo performance at this price range.

If you want an all in one music/movie box solution, this has to be considered.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
g777o said:

AVR 360 £750

AVR 400 £1000

+1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
g777o said:

AVR 360 £750

AVR 400 £1000

I would certainly agree.

OP should also keep an eye out for the new range.

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
g777o pretty much nailed it. A friend of mine has the Yamaha a1020 which performs really well also. Keep your eyes open for high end 2012 models from almost all companies as the 2013 models are coming so there should be a tasty price cut.

TheFluffyDog

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
wow guys thx, I looked into the items you mentioned and the really matched what I was searching for. However no one mentioned much about the Speakers. Any thoughts there guys?

ksattic

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
From my experience, many Sony AVRs in analogue direct mode compare favourably with integrated stereo amps such as the Rotel RA-1520. Have you thought about pairing the AVR with an external DAC (such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II) and putting the AVR in analogue direct mode?

KidKomet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I've not had any experience with the BX2's but I've heard very good things. For the kind of amps you're looking at though, you might want to go a tier up in the speaker range to match. Or a good external DAC, as noted above.

T

the record spot

Check out the Onkyo TX-NR717 or 818, both of which have hundreds knocked off in Richer Sounds just now - £500 / £600 respectively. The new Onkyp range is just out and these models will likely go pretty quickly. Just bought an 818 myself as the reviews were so strong and I already own an Onkyo TX-8050 so am aware of the network offerings already, which was another reason I went for the same manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts