AV Receiver Review - What No Video??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm in the market for a new AV Receiver in the £500 to £1000 range so I was very keen to see the November Issue with the MultiChannel Receivers Group test.

However I was sadly disappointed with the quality of the review – there is no mention of the video performance of any of the units! Now I hate to nit pick but I bought What Hi-Fi Sound and VISION but there is no mention of the video performance in any of the AV Receiver reviews which I checked. Sure there is mention of features such as number of HDMI ports and up scaling but no actual critique of the comparable video performance.

One of the main reasons I am looking to invest in a new Receiver is for up scaling of misc sources to1080p so I need to know how they perform this vital task. Very shabby What Hi-Fi!!

It seems like the Review team are lagging behind the technology which they are reviewing, or maybe they are all blind and sit in a darkened room all day ears highly tuned to the tiniest pin drop?
emotion-3.gif
Thoughts All?

A

Anonymous

jaydubyaa:

It seems like the Review team are lagging behind the technology which they are reviewing, or maybe they are all blind and sit in a darkened room all day ears highly tuned to the tiniest pin drop?
emotion-3.gif
Thoughts All?

How did you come to that conclusion? A receiver's duties are primarily audio. On the whole I think WHSV reviews are balanced, fair and unbiased. You are of course entitled to your opinion.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Nice to meet you too jaydubbya
emotion-2.gif

I can assure you that we do test the upscaling of the receivers and, on this occassion we didn't feel that there were any significant differneces in the quality of the upscaled picture. What source(s) were/are you planning to feed into the machine? It's worth noting that if you're sending an S-video, composite or component video signal into an AV amp, you're asking a heck of a lot of the machine (i.e. for it to upconvert and upscale to HDMI). In fact, we'd recommend that if you were feeding the amp a component video picture that you output component video from it too. I hope this helps...

A

Anonymous

I wholeheartedly agree that WHSV on the whole provide fair & balanced reviews. However technology moves on an the Video performance of AV Revieivers is a significant chunk of what we are getting for our hard earned and therefore deserves due attention in reviews.

A

Anonymous

I did jump in with both hobnails on didn't I? Its been one of those days!

Interesting point on the upscaling. At this price point could I reasonably expect the amp to improve video quality at all, say for HDMI to HDMI?

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
No problem. I wouldn't necessarily suggest upscaling a HDMI picture through an AV amp because you're effectively asking it to guess extra information and do extra processing. If it was Sky+ HD for example, i'd suggest passing the signal through the amp to your TV with no additional processing.

A

Anonymous

This is an interesting thread. I asked exactly the same sort of video-related question in this section a couple of weeks ago and it vanished without warning. I have just found out today that it was moved to the 'Free THX Optimizer Glasses!' Thread in the 'About The Mag' section. If I posted it in the wrong section I'm really sorry but it would be helpful if the Forum moderators could just advise the OP when they move it... I was convinced my query had been deleted.

Anyway, I was after exactly the same sort of detail about video performance as JAYDubYaa. As I said in my original post video performance is at least as important to me as audio performance. The group test that's being referred to gave no indication as to the relative video capabilities of the receivers.... which is why I originally posted my query.

Andy - I presume from your interest in this thread that you wrote the av receiver review - I've got to say that your reply makes me wonder about exactly how detailed your assessment of these products video capability was. You say that you advise against upscaling an HDMI signal via the receiver. I'm sorry Andy but that's just wrong. Did you actually try doing that?

Since my original post I have purchased an Onkyo TX-NR876 precisely because it does such an amazing job upscaling the SD signal from Sky Digital. Looking at the output raw and upscaled there's simply no comparison... the upscaled video signal from the Onkyo is almost HD quality when it comes to the absence of picture distortions (and I feel qualified to say this because I have a Sky+ HD STB and so can compare the two directly). Even my girlrfiend can see the difference... and she's no whathi-fi reviewer!

As for all the upscaling results from the receivers tested 'being similar', sorry, but thats way wrong. The ISF Day/Night/custom calibration options on the Onkyo TX-NR876 let you tweak the balance of incoming video signals to an extent that's simply impossible on the other models that were in that group test.

The Denon that was tested, for instance, offers absolutely no video tweaking controls at all... you can switch on the i/p scaler and switch it off, set the output resolution, choose progressive mode and set the aspect ratio. The Onkyo's ISF calibration controls allow you alter gamma, individual RGB levels and so on. It's a masterclass in how to get video performance right on, as long as you spend a bit of time at it. Is that mentioned anywhere in the review in whathifi? I didn't see it.

Your advise about not recommending that Sky HD be upscaled through the receiver and be sent direct to the display is incorrect. Virtually every receiver around - including my Onkyo - can be set to pass through HD signals untouched when they are detected. In any case Sky HD signals still visibly benefit from being upconverted through the Onkyo - though they may not on the Denon and Sony that were tested - although to a lesser degree than the SD signals [which look blooming amazing upscaled and output via HDMI].

I think the reply that Clare Newsome gave to my original query [which I would have answered if I'd been able to keep travk of it] sums up the approach at Whathifi. This is an audio focussed magazine that counts 'sound per pound' as being the number one thing - nothing else matters as much to it. Video-related features on receivers come a poor second in its view which is why I suspect they get skated over in the reviews. Just saying video-related features were tested without giving any further detail of what the findings were is a bit of a cop-out in my view.

The Onkyo receivers are clearly not to the taste of Andy, Clare and their colleagues sonically so that's it... game over. Reading between the lines it seem that an assumption is made that there's no point in looking any further at the other selling points of the receivers because the sound isn't -class-leading'. I think that does the manufacturers a huge injustice...

I love my Onkyo's sound for exactly the reasons that Whathifi hate it... it makes movies come alive in a way that I've never heard from my fuzzy old Yamaha 863SE (stupidly bought unheard after a Whathi-fi recommendation!). The sound quality aspect is a bit dubious too. My Onkyo sounded a bit balls-out, the way the review described it for about two or three weeks, being used for 3 to 4 hours every day, before it smoothed out and became bolshy and really sweet in the high frequencies... how long did you run the review receiver for?

At the end of the day it's all down to what's important to the buyer but I can now say that whathi-fi's approach definitely doesn't reflect my personal priorities (or I guess jaydubyaa's). Maybe the best thing is to also consult other sources and get other opinions if you're interested in any other exspect sound quality.

On another subject can I ask why whathi-fi never prints corrections in the magazine? Every other reputable magazine prints corrections in the isue after they are spotted but your magazine never seems to.

The evidence on this forum sems to be that mistakes ceratinly are made but there seems to be a keenness to bury any mention of them. Another forum member pointed out on another thread that the AV receiver review had wrongly stated that both the Denon and yahama had internet connectivity and that the Denon's price was £100 out. I can't recall who answered the point but whoever it was just stated that the online specs and review had been corrected. I've seen that done a few times. The reply also said that whathifi was aware that the denon was available for £600 (i think) online when the review was being carried out.

Two points... how can you stand by your ratings for all these products if you've got basic facts like these wrong? I think your readers would think more highly of the magazine if it admitted such booboos in print in the actual magazine - changing stuff online only is another editorial cop-out.

The other point, or question, is exactly what price are you using to base your verdicts on? Is it the list price, is it the best online price, what? Taking the example above so you knew that this denon was available for £600 online even though the list price was much higher... how did that affect your rating of the denon? Did you also find out what the yamaha and onkyo were available for online? What if they'd been cheaper... would you have given them a better rating?

I hope the above doesn't sound too bolshy but I'm not convinced that whathi-fi is helping those for whom video matters as much as sound quality. Daresay I'll be told to sling my hook but as somebody who used to buy issues quite regularly I reckon I've earned and paid for the right to put my points across.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Based on all the above, and your previous post regarding THX, I think you may be on the wrong forum.

Clare and Andy have answered the points you made, and of course you are entitled to yours, but it seems you are misinterpreting the answers you are given, and feel there's some kind of cover-up going on...

"your reply makes me wonder about exactly how detailed your assessment of these products video capability was"

"I'm sorry Andy but that's just wrong. Did you actually try doing that?"

"Even my girlrfiend can see the difference... and she's no whathi-fi reviewer!"

"I think the reply that Clare Newsome gave to my original query... sums up the
approach at Whathifi."

"Video-related features... get skated over in the reviews"

"how long did you run the review receiver for?"

"Every other reputable magazine prints corrections"

"The evidence on this forum sems to be that mistakes ceratinly are made
but there seems to be a keenness to bury any mention of them."

"how can you stand by your ratings for all these products if you've got basic facts like these wrong?"

"changing stuff online only is another editorial cop-out."

Anyway, hope you feel better for exposing what you see as all the failings of the magazine...

"Daresay I'll be told to sling my hook"

No, but as I said, I think you may be on the wrong website for your needs...

A

Anonymous

I think this thread might have veered off track and I'd like to steer it back on course by taking a different approach. As a long time WHSV reader I would very much appreciated it if the team would consider expanding their reviews of AV Receivers (and similar multi function devices) to incorporate the following areas, which I would find very helpful to inform my purchase decision concerning these complex and expensive devices.

Please consider including and/or expanding the following criteria in future reviews:

1. Video Performance, especially up-scaling.

2. Added value features such as networking, THX certification

3. With the increasing feature count the Ease of use of on screen menus, remotes etc is also important

4. Comment on the difference in performance & features between adjoining lower and higher price bracket devices.

5. Environmental credentials - power consumption, recycled materials

I realise that it's not possible to keep everyone happy but AV Receivers have changed a huge amount in the last few years, certainly the Yamaha DXP AX750SE which I am replacing after a cat peed on it (that's a whole other story) was a very different beast. Incidentally Yamaha recommended the RX-V1065 as a direct replacement.

A word in Richardifield's defence is also warranted - the point which he made about the Sky SD up scaling performance of the 876 is exactly the type of information which I was looking for in an AV Receiver review.

A final thought - I purchased the November WHSV to help me make a difficult decision about which AV Receiver to spend a fair chunk of cash on and in this case I sadly found myself not as well informed as I had hoped.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts