AV Receiver recommendation

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
My Budget - $1000 for Receiver.

This is the first time I am going to buy an AV and hence looking out for a recommendation.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Bhupinder

danbeatles78

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Yamaha RXV673 and it's amazing

Great for music and movies

I actually started another thread about the Yamaha AV amp with music about how it handles music and it really does do an amazing job, so much so that i'm going to put my Yamaha AS500 stereo amp on ebay

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
1) What speakers have you got? What's the rest of your system like?

I am thinking about deciding speakers after the AMP is selected.

2) How big is your room?

My Room size is 4.5 meter (W) x 6.7 meter (L) (15feet x 22feet).

3) Where are you based?

I am from India (Asia). Brands like Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and Marantz are available here.

Thanks

Bhupinder

There's something known as system synergy. All AV receivers & speakers have their own sound signatures, and you should decide on the combination together. A particular AV receiver can sound brilliant with a set of speakers & dull with another set.

What's your budget for AV receiver & speakers together? What sort of speakers are you looking at? Style speakers? Traditional? 5.1 setup?

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
What's your budget for AV receiver & speakers together? What sort of speakers are you looking at? Style speakers? Traditional? 5.1 setup?

My budget for AV + speakers is $2000 to $2200

I am looking for a pair of floor standing speakers (2 units) + 1 subwoofer + 1 center. So it would be a 3.1 setup together.

Mostly I play music and occasionally watch movies.

Thanks again for your time.

Bhupinder

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
So your budget is around Rs. 120000 - 135000. Yamaha RX-V675 is an excellent option.

Yes, you got it right.

Today I went to stores and got a demo on RX-A1030 Yamaha and TX-727 Onkyo models. Did not got a chance to see RX-V675, but I will check it up tomorrow again. As I am planning to finalize it before weekend.

bigboss said:
I'm not sure which speaker brands are available in India, is Monitor Audio / B&W / Q acoustics available?

Not sure on these brands but I will check it up tomorrow. There were speakrs from both Yamaha and Onkyo available in store where I went today.

Are these good speaker brands to go for?

Thanks

Bhupinder

Yamaha RX-A1030 belongs to the superior Aventage line & is far superior to the 675. However, it'll leave about 50K or thereabouts for the speakers. What about the RX-A830? How much is it? I'm just thinking about the flexibility of your speaker budget. Onkyo & Yamaha aren't exactly known for their speakers. So I can't comment on them. What other brands do they stock?

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
What about the RX-A830? How much is it? I'm just thinking about the flexibility of your speaker budget. Onkyo & Yamaha aren't exactly known for their speakers. So I can't comment on them. What other brands do they stock?

The RX-A830 was about 15K ($250) cheaper than 1030. But if 1030 is really worth the price then I can think about stretching my budget.

If I remember exactly I listened 1030 with Yamaha NS-777 standing speakers. The ELAC and ENERGY speakers were also available on same store.

KWONAD

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
A NAD ofcourse. >)

why? Is not only video but music is not forgotten.

5 years warranty after registration on the net on the NAD site.

A killer cinema expereance!

but everybody have different ears and eyes, so you must check a good shop for some listening sesions with different brands.

and don't forget to ask to have a demo at your own home to check if it sounds big and satisfying.

Succes.

bhupinder08 said:
bigboss said:
What about the RX-A830? How much is it? I'm just thinking about the flexibility of your speaker budget. Onkyo & Yamaha aren't exactly known for their speakers. So I can't comment on them. What other brands do they stock?

The RX-A830 was about 15K ($250) cheaper than 1030. But if 1030 is really worth the price then I can think about stretching my budget.

If I remember exactly I listened 1030 with Yamaha NS-777 standing speakers. The ELAC and ENERGY speakers were also available on same store.

Yamaha NS-777 looks amazing. ELAC speakers are quite expensive & way beyond budget. Never heard of Energy before.

How as your demo experience? I would suggest demo it with 1030 as well as 830. If you can't discern any difference, save yourself 15K. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Yamaha NS-777 looks amazing. ELAC speakers are quite expensive & way beyond budget. Never heard of Energy before.

How as your demo experience? I would suggest demo it with 1030 as well as 830. If you can't discern any difference, save yourself 15K. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Receiver -

Today I had a demo of Yamaha 1030, 820 (not 830) and Onkyo 727 with NS-777 and ELAC speakers. I observed both 1030 and 820 were good in sound quality. The difference between two was minimal at most of the points. 1030 was more clear on low-mids with "Pure Direct" turned on.

So thinking about 1030, it new model and the cost difference is less if I compare it with total investment.

Speakers -

As you rightly said; ELAC is expensive and going beyond my budget so NS-777 seems to be a good option.

Concern -

The sales representative told me that 1030 has some pass-through issues and mostly get resolved with latest firmware upgrade. I tried to search it on Google but did not find any related links. Any thoughts to share?

Also does pass-through work effectively if STB is connected through receiver?

Thanks again for your time

Bhupinder

I'm not aware of any pass through issues either. Personally, I never use the feature. All audio is through my home cinema system. If it doesn't work properly, and if your set top box has the ability to pass video via HDMI to the TV, and audio via digital to AV receiver, you can simply change the settings on your set top box for audio through TV.

Good luck! Do report back your experience.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can demo the yamaha 675/673 then do, the difference in sound quality is closer than you may think & its half the price - and the stereo may even be better for some reason the Yamahas around the 500pounds(uk) mark are very good in stereo.

I have a Yamaha rx-a1020(last years model to the 1030) and my much older Yamaha dsp ax-620 is notibly better in stereo than the newer more expensive amp. the 620 being the great grand pappy of the 675 (source direct is rubbish by the way ..... its equ'd so low you end up cranking up the volume raising the snr - noise floor)

bhupinder08

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
All audio is through my home cinema system. If it doesn't work properly, and if your set top box has the ability to pass video via HDMI to the TV, and audio via digital to AV receiver, you can simply change the settings on your set top box for audio through TV. Good luck! Do report back your experience.

That makes more sense to me. It would be better option than keeping Receiver in Stand-by mode with pass-through enabled.

bigboss said:
Good luck! Do report back your experience.

Thanks a lot for your time and guidance. Definitly I will update the thread again by weekend once the setup is complete.

Bhpuinder

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts