AV Receiver for just music?

wmc88

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
So I'm getting into the audio game for the first time (only ever had a beatbox portable) and my first purchase was a set of B&W 865 S2 speakers courtesy of the What Hi-Fi review. Now the guy in the shop has convinced me the best way to go is for an AV receiver even though I plan to use it for music like 95% of the time. Is this right?

He said I have the option to use it as both - which makes perfect sense - but if that's the case what's the point of a stereo amp? Surely they are better for music?

I'm not looking to spend much on an amp as I'm moving house (hence the purchase) so not got much cash.

I was looking at a Yamaha RX-V677 amp -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LW5W1VS?vs=1

Would this suit my B&W 685 S2 speakers? Or is there a better stereo speaker I should be looking at? Help a newcomer out? :-D thanks

wmc88

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
But lets say I decide to start using it in the future for films. Is there a big enough difference between say a £400 stereo amp and a £400 av receiver to make me forget about buying the av? If the difference I only slight, I'd rather hedge by bets, but if it's considerable... ?

If you decide to watch films in the future, then an AV receiver would make more sense. You need a dedicated centre channel and subwoofer for a proper cinema experience.

I was part of the What Hi Fi's Big Question few years ago where we compared a budget stereo amplifier with AV receivers at different price points. Although, the stereo amplifier won, the difference as compared to the AV receivers was very small.

Paul.

Doubt it, you need to spend a fair bit more on an AV reciever to match stereo. Buy a stereo amp, sell it on in the future if you change your mind. They hold their value pretty well. AV recievers do make sence if you have lots of digital sources. If you have a couple of games console, streamers, sky box and a bluray, it would be much easier to manage through an AV receiver than with a stereo amp.

wmc88

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Ok so I've got a PS4, HD sky box, and obv my TV. I will be adding a subwoofer soon as I didn't find the 685's as bassy as I'd liked but loved the sound. Can I connect all of that to a Stereo amp? I only really use sky for football and ps4 for fifa.... Sorry to keep moving the goal posts (no pun intended) but I'm just trying to give you knowledgeable people an idea of my set up.

Thanks for the feedback about the reviews you done between budget amps ill bear that in mind.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Go for AV receiver, in general, you will not be able to discern an AV receiver from an integrated amp, despite what people say. Test blind, you will find out. AV receivers give more value for money because of the mass production, and all types are based on eachother etc. So you get more per pound/euro/dollar.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Laurens_B said:
Go for AV receiver, in general, you will not be able to discern an AV receiver from an integrated amp, despite what people say. Test blind, you will find out. AV receivers give more value for money because of the mass production, and all types are based on eachother etc. So you get more per pound/euro/dollar.

just balancing out this comment, having owned both, I just can't agree with this.

My old Cambridge stereo amp (a budget machine) was far superior to my current AVR for 2-channel music (using the same speakers). Its timing, clarity and detail were better and although it was only rated at 60wpc, controlled the bass much better than my 120wpc AVR (in 2-channel that is; when using surround my sub handles the bass very adequately). But of course it didn't play movies anywhere near as well. The actual sound quality was excellent but you didn't have the sort of tweakability my AVR has for boosting dialogue, decreasing the dynamic range for night-time viewing etc.

Having said that, there are (bizarrely) other considerations than sound and much of that might be how you see your system being used in the future.

Also, as far as all the OP's sources are concerned, yes I can see how an AVR could manage all the HDMI inputs much more readily.

If you wanted a comparison, try looking at the Cambridge CXA60. This has a number of digital and analogue inputs. If you'd dismissed surround sound for the future, this could be an option. Your HDMI sources go into your TV, then use the optical out from your TV to the Cambridge. It's around the £500 mark in the UK (it's shaved about £60 of its original RRP). Another option is the NAD D3020.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
AV amps & 2 channels I have tried & I dnt think there is any difference. . Yes long time ago, but these days it makes no difference.

I would say go to a shop & demo for yourself. I think you should get an AV amp if there is an possibilty you will play movies in the future.

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If AV Receivers was same sound quality as a integrated amplifier the they would cost a fair bit more than they do, but that said it does not mean your years will perceive the difference, but for some of us there is a clear difference. To give you the short version, i have tried and tested many AV amps in search of the best all in one solution in the last year, in the end the best solution that gave me the best of both worlds was the Anthem MRX300, this has the best balance of both that you could wish for, I have not heard any Arcam AV solutions but from user reviews im lead to believe the stereo performance is also very good. My advice based on your needs would be to get the best stereo amp you can afford if its music you listen too 95% of the time, that said you can get some heavily discounted AV amps as these change more often than integrated amplifiers that in some cases can more than make up the difference, the more you spend the more you get most of the time. Also one last thing, as you are new to this world then the chances are that what ever you buy you will be more than happy with either as you have nothing to compare it will, audition both, and take your favorite tunes, when the hairs stand up on the back of your neck then you will know thats the one for you ;)

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My opinion of the question posed by wmc88 based on my, albeit limited, experience is that I was in a similar position a number of years ago and decided to purchase a Cambridge Audio Azure 640R AV Amp based on reviews and auditions and the fact that it was an equally accomplished musical amp as well as an AV receiver. For the first six months I used it as a stereo amp until I purchased additional speakers for a 5.1 set up. I have subsequently used it as a hub for my CD stereo, tv, dvd and digital file film viewing enjoyment and am constantly impressed by it's abilty to play stereo music so well. I am in the process of upgrading my stereo speakers and am confident that my amp will only benefit from this upgrade and have no intention to change my amp for a number of years yet if ever frankly.

I suggest you research and source an av amp that is equally adept at stereo replay as well as av duties just as I did and would still highly recommend Cambridge or Arcam as an alternative...

You can have your cake and eat it in my opinion...good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts