AV receiver £500 -£700 Onkyo/Marantz/Yamaha/Denon???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am buying Monitor Audio Radius 225 x5 and need a new AV receiver to go with it.

Budget around £400 -£650

Don't want to go higher than speakers justify and waste money on improvements my speakers won't show or not very noticeable.

Was thinking of Onkyo 705 due to reviews of range and the auto set up
Went to dealer and their recommendation for these speakers was the Marantz 5002 which they are doing for £407.

They reckoned this would match (for these speakers) the Onkyo 705 which they do for £600 (none available to try).

He didn't think it was worth spending more than these, This is the list I am considering and prices I can find/been offered- Yamaha DSP AX861SE £524 Yamaha RX V1800 £800
Onkyo 605 £400
Onkyo 705 £600

Denon 2308 £450
Denon 2808 £700

Marantz SR5002 £407
Marantz SR7002 £750

Quite a range in prices I know. I don't want to go overboard with something that you won't notice the difference with the radius 225 speakers but the priorities are
1) good impactive movie sound
2) good musically
3) gadgets -its not with gaming and probably max of two HDMI sources plus maybe a set-top box (although think thats probably better bypassing the receiver isn't it?)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The salesman was talking rubbish. Your prices can be beaten as well. The Onkyo 605 for instance can be found online for £370ish. You should look at the Pioneer VSX-LX50 at around £600 - it's great. If you are not planning on going HD audio (bluray or HDdvd), you could save some money but I would not get a Marantz or Yamaha against Denon, Onkyo or Pioneer as they are just not as good at the moment.

A

Anonymous

want it future proof so ready for HD.

Which would you recommend then?

A

Anonymous

I can personaly recomend the onkyo 605 its all round fantastic but Im not sure its worth going for the 705

I looked at the differences thx 3xhdmi in etc but cant see thats worth £200. Money better spent on other areas of your system but which ever one you go for will impress you!!!

A

Anonymous

jus wondered is there any reason why yamaha and marantz are not as good at moment,as other recievers.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think that it's just the turn of Onkyo, Denon etc., to lead in this field. Marantz are more known for stereo anyway. Yamaha were the leaders for a while and other companies had to do something about it, which they have. It won't be long before the other lot think of a better set of machines and Onkyo will be on catch up again. If you want HD audio and only need 2 hdmi, there is the idea that you would be wasting your money going for a machine which has 3 hdmi as you will pay for it. I would have a good look at the Denon 2808 (Sevenoaks have it at a good price - it's a fantastic receiver) and the Pioneer. They both have two hdmi (I think) but have everything else you will need. The Onkyo's are raved by everyone though - they just look horrible to me!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We gave the Denon 2808 and Marantz SR7002 four stars each. They're both good, if not the best in their class, and the Denon in particular is a touch overpriced in the current market. It's clearly beaten by Onkyo's electrifying TX-SR875 (£1000), which imbues film soundtracks with considerably greater scale, more forceful dynamics and even more excitement.

The Marantz SR7002 is more intriguing, especially at £750 (normal retail £1000). It's a classic example of a four-star product that might fit well in your system. Why four stars? Well, it lacks cast-iron authority and scale with films - it just doesn't have the ultimate dynamic ability of the class leader, and can sound a little inhibited in comparison.

That said, the Marantz has a detailed,expansive and immersive sound so should not be discounted. It's also good with music, although the sound hardens at high volumes.

Onkyo's SR605 was our Product of the Year 2007 and a clear five-star winner. At the price, you can't buy better.

Unfortunately Yamaha have chosen not to supply us with review samples in recent months, so can't comment on their products.

So the Onkyo 605 would be a safe bet, but the Marantz is worth considering.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andy Clough"]

We gave the Denon 2808 and Marantz SR7002 four stars each. They're both good, if not the best in their class, and the Denon in particular is a touch overpriced in the current market. It's clearly beaten by Onkyo's electrifying TX-SR875 (£1000), which imbues film soundtracks with considerably greater scale, more forceful dynamics and even more excitement.

The Marantz SR7002 is more intriguing, especially at £750 (normal retail £1000). It's a classic example of a four-star product that might fit well in your system. Why four stars? Well, it lacks cast-iron authority and scale with films - it just doesn't have the ultimate dynamic ability of the class leader, and can sound a little inhibited in comparison.

That said, the Marantz has a detailed,expansive and immersive sound so should not be discounted. It's also good with music, although the sound hardens at high volumes.

Onkyo's SR605 was our Product of the Year 2007 and a clear five-star winner. At the price, you can't buy better.

Unfortunately Yamaha have chosen not to supply us with review samples in recent months, so can't comment on their products.

So the Onkyo 605 would be a safe bet, but the Marantz is worth considering.

[/quote]

When was that? I was looking through my collection and didn't see those reviewed?

A

Anonymous

you can pick up denon avr 2808 on some websites now for £749 which seems a good price,is their a particular reason why yamaha have not supplied any recievers for testing this year seems very strange seen as what hifi team has give very good reviews in past, apparently the rx-v3800 has got very good reviews all over the world

A

Anonymous

I have now found the reviews -interesting thing is that the Marantz sr7002 and Denon 2808 got four stars -but were at a price point that put them against the Onkyo 875 -

Now they seem to be, due to available price, competing with the Onkyo 705 -would What Hifi still rate the onkyo's higher?

A

Anonymous

Suppose two questions

1) at the respective price points of around £400 and also £6-700 how do these compare (as the reviews were comparing the SR7200 and 2808 with the 875 which is not the competition now with prices available)

Marantz SR5002 v Onkyo 605 v Denon 2308

Marantz 7002 v Onkyo 705 v Denon 2808

2) Would my chosen speaker package, and use mainly for DVD (probably in future HD or BluRay) justify the more expensive 3 options?

I was going for the 705, now leaning towards the 2808 but really don't know!

A

Anonymous

having trouble finding them in one location for head to head, and also feel I need to shorten the short list!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GarethG"]

Suppose two questions

1) at the respective price points of around £400 and also £6-700 how do these compare (as the reviews were comparing the SR7200 and 2808 with the 875 which is not the competition now with prices available)

Marantz SR5002 v Onkyo 605 v Denon 2308

Marantz 7002 v Onkyo 705 v Denon 2808

2) Would my chosen speaker package, and use mainly for DVD (probably in future HD or BluRay) justify the more expensive 3 options?

I was going for the 705, now leaning towards the 2808 but really don't know!

[/quote]

Anyone please?

A

Anonymous

If there's one not too far away, pop into Superfi as they have all the models mentioned. If you're gonna be playing quite a bit of music through your amp, go for the Marantz7002. If not, then I'd plump for the Denon - it's bulletproof (and futureproof). the Onkyo's are great but look and feel rubbish.

But then if your not in too much of a hurry, wait to see the Yamaha's when they're released!

A

Anonymous

unfortunately not local to me (down on south coast) hoping someone had done the work for me?

or at least simialr models to have a view!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thought I'd get in here first before drummerman or someone else who might not be so nice!

[quote user="GarethG"]
hoping someone had done the work for me?
[/quote]

Hmm, so basically you want someone else to tell you what to buy? I mean, someone else may have heard all three amps (I haven't by the way) and could therefore tell you what they preferred, but this could be completely different from what you prefer...

I understand that it might be hard to find all three amps in the same shop, but you probably stand a better chance of finding them in three different shops? A decent dealer will let you audition them at home so you can compare all 3 in the same conditions as well.

However, if you insist on buying buy blind and trusting someone you don't know's opinion, you might as well just put all three names in a hat and pull one out.

A

Anonymous

think considering other people's reviews is what sells What Hifi's mags!!

A

Anonymous

Now down to two!!

Denon 2808 @ £750

Onkyo 705 @ 600

going to use the second zone so the Denon with second remote looks good, and its main remote is much better.

However, any negatives with the Denon, apart from £150!?

A

Anonymous

£718 -949 euros denon avr-2808 from germany with 2yrs warranty

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"]However, if you insist on buying buy blind and trusting someone you don't know's opinion, you might as well just put all three names in a hat and pull one out.[/quote]

Definitely important to listen to all 3 if you can, it is quite a lot of money to spend blind. Reviews can be helpful though, and if you really must buy without trying them out, then at least take the oppinion of someone who has listened to all 3 (and a whole lot more besides!), and in that respect, I think you have got your answer from Mr Everard, I would agree that the onkyo is the best buy at the minute (though I havn't heard the marantz), its just a shame that the Onkyo is a bit ugly and plasticy looking, sort of like an 80s top loading VCR.

The Yamaha would be worth a listen too, different sound to the Onkyo, and feels very solid too. Its all down to personal taste though.

A

Anonymous

He recommended the 605, but I would want the 705 due to the zone 2 option.

Don't think WhatHifi have compared the 705?

The 705 puts the price up to closer to the 2808 hence my choice.

The mag was comparing the 2808 to the 875 and their review didn't seem the 2808 was miles behind -so against the 705????

A

Anonymous

hi

looking at investing in a sound system. from what i can gather across, its mostly denon vs onkyo

the 2308 vs onkyo 605

speakers...really confused with the options in dubai

but i personally am attached to the bose 901's....any issues with that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts