AV Processors for 2 channel Amps

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Greetings - new to forums

Having read WHF for a few years and coming from a hi-fi rather than AV aspect I'm very surprised that manufactures don't appear to cater for the 2 channel enthusiast by allowing an add-on to enable 5 channel surround - it always appears to be "either or" i.e. you by a good AV amp like the Onkyo but you know you are never going to get the same as a decent 2 channel amp. There used to be a Yamaha what was it Esp 800 or something but there doesn't seem to be much demand these days. I can understand the convenience of the one box (mammoth) AV amp but unless you spend plenty like the Arcam AVR 350 you're not getting close to a good hi-fi setup

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

Welcome!

Being a Cyrus fan, I'm aware of the "AV master 8.0" - an AV decoder with 3 channel power amp, designed to be added to stereo hifi setup. There were previous versions, without in-built power amplification.

A

Anonymous

Look for a decent pre/power combo. Audiolab, the new NAD master series stuff seems to be getting praise.

iburnell

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for these replies. I was interested reading a few threads that you can use the pre-out of an AV amp to connect up to 2 channel amplifier's input and therefore use a pure hi-fi with 2 front speakers and then when watching a movie use the AV amp to control the processing but steer the sound via the hi-fi amp for the front two speakers. This would appear to be the best of all worlds solution assuming of course that you have the cash to spend on two separate bits of kit rather than havng the compromise of listening to music via the AV amp.

Blainetoner

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="iburnell"]
. This would appear to be the best of all worlds solution assuming of course that you have the cash to spend on two separate bits of kit rather than havng the compromise of listening to music via the AV amp.
[/quote]

I have the yamaha mentioned and am quite happy with it for the momment. You can pick them up on ebay for not a huge amount of money.......but if you wanted to have the full on 7.1 HDMI swtichin sort of thing.....you can get that Sony 1200ES AV Amp for about 250 these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts