AV Noob = Denon X2000 vs X2100

shadowoflight

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Planning to enter the realm of the AV receivers. I had in mind the Whalfedale DX1 and a Denon X2000, but I caught whif of the x2100 launching and I thought I'd wait.

The review the came out recently seems to suggest that the x2100 could have been punchier and more dynamic, but I'm wondering if anyone's had experience with both the x2100 and x2000 and is able to comment on the sound. I understand they 'should be' similar, but you know, things happen eh?

If it's not as good, I could do away with the extra features on the x2100 tbh.

In the meantime, comments from people with experience with the Onkyo and Yamaha equivalents (yamaha 657?) would be useful. Sony doesn't sell their stuff in my part of the world (testiment to their pathetic logistical prowess, which imho is causing half their problems), so as much as I'd like the DN1050 it's ouch of reach (literally..heh), unless I can export it out of the UK with reasonable shipping.

I've heard that the rule of thumb that Yamaha's more for cinema, Onkyo's more for music and Denon's sorta in between. I'd like to balance the 2, hence my current choice of Denon. Or is this just a myth? lol

And I know the av shootout will be released at the end of the month, but I'd some comments from others as well

Thanks =)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
hi

originally i was looking between yamaha rxv675 and the denon avr-x2000 for my first av receiver, did a lot of research and tried to read a lot of reviews and opinions on the two and denon appealed a lot more to me than yamaha. i think the denon was more powerful and looked better etc. but i seen the sony str-dn1040 on sale for £299 and i bought it instantly. tbh i think its a waste of money buying the newest av receiver when you can get last years model for cheap and they arent that different. the newer denon has 4 star review.

how much is the RRP of new denon? if it's like £500 then i'd get the x2000 for sure. it's still a good av receiver. shame you cant get a sony, brilliant av/r for the price got so many good reviews and i love it

have you looked at new 2014 yamaha av receivers? the rx-v577 looks a good av/r. comparable to the newer denon

also if onkyo is mainly for music how come i cant find one on RS even at £999 that doesnt have airplay built in *scratch_one-s_head*

if you could get a sony 1040 shipped to you i'd consider that, since it's cheaper than the 1050 you could put the spare money to shipping it (if possible) not much difference at all between the two. good for movies and music as i use both frequently.

edit:also if you are going to get a decent av receiver i would get good speakers to match it, a cheap £299 package may seem good value but it's not the best build quality, finish, or sound quality. i was going to get the same package too originally with the x2000 (how bizarre!) then did some digging. if you get a good av receiver and other bits you should get good speakers too. even if you spend £200 on the fronts with matching centre then you can get some cheaper surround satellites and a sub at the price and performance of your choosing. i have the zensor 3's and matching centre myself. going to get the cambridge audio minx min11 for surrounds in future too. pay for speakers once and enjoy them!

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have owned a Yamaha RX-V675 in the past, and a friend of mine owns the Denon X-2000. We compared these two receivers to check out the differences ourselves. The biggest difference for me was the fact that the X-2000 tended to sound very harsh at levels above -20dB, which is imo still not a very high level of volume. The WHF review of the 2100 states that this is less with the new receiver.

Also, I found the Yamaha sound a bit more musical than the Denon, but this might differ with other pairings and other tastes.

Advantages of the Denon are that the receiver is smaller so easier to fit into a cabinet, and it has Audyssey (which I don't care about at all, but it seems to be very popular).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts