Audition of new PMC Twenty 21

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Today I have a chance of listening to a new pair of PMC twenty 21 in a hifi shop. The amplifier used is a Class AB tube amplifier of Chinese made with brand name unkown to me. The CD transport is from Yamaha (I did not ask for the model as it looked quite cheap).

I was very impressed by the SQ this new PMC produced in considering the combination of the amp. and CD transport used during the audition. The mid and high range are very ear friendly and the low freq. is quite acceptable in cosideraing the size of this book shelf speaker. The transmission is front ported and I am sure this speaker can be placed quite near to the back wall without any issues. The mid range is particular sweet and the high freq. are very clear but not causing fatique to my ears.

TBH the SQ is quite closed to my Spendor SA-1 and I have a feeling that if this speaker can couple with some better amplifier and CD transport the SQ could be better than my Spendor SA-1. Presently the twenty 21 costs about 1300-1400GBP which is quite attractive in considering the SQ it produces.

I wonder if anyone have any comments/views and experience on this new PMC twenty series speaker ?

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
See my signature re equipment list. Got my 21s in December, after seeing them at the Manchester show in October and demoing them in November. Love them. Stunning speakers. The soundstage beggars belief for something so compact, and they are beautifully integrated across the frequency range.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
What size room are you in, wbarr? I'm auditioning both the .21 and .22 tomorrow - in store - but my room is 4 x 6m and I sit about 2/3 of the way down so am thinking .22 - quite a few more £££s though.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
datay said:
What size room are you in, wbarr? I'm auditioning both the .21 and .22 tomorrow - in store - but my room is 4 x 6m and I sit about 2/3 of the way down so am thinking .22 - quite a few more £££s though.

Hope you can try both .21 and .22 and looking forward to hearing your comments after audition :)

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As a PMC fanboy I'd like to hear them, and certainly all the right noises are being made about the tewnty series.

Bit ugly, though.

I agree that the design of the twenty series looks unusual as the front panel tilts up by about 10-15 degrees. For me I don't consider it Ugly.

I think PMC adopted such design to ensure the phase of the sound produced from the tweeter and the mid range speaker as well as the low freq. from the front ported transmission opening are interacted correctly before reaching our ears.

Inter_Voice said:
plastic penguin said:
As a PMC fanboy I'd like to hear them, and certainly all the right noises are being made about the tewnty series.

Bit ugly, though.

I agree that the design of the twenty series looks unusual as the front panel tilts up by about 10-15 degrees. For me I don't consider it Ugly.

I think PMC adopted such design to ensure the phase of the sound produced from the tweeter and the mid range speaker as well as the low freq. from the front ported transmission opening are interacted correctly before reaching our ears.

Do you have to be concave to hear them properly?:)

I'm teasing, sure they sound wonderful but they do look a little erm... different.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Heard the 21s and 22s yesterday. Listening to electronic stuff, complex drum programming challenging for any speaker (Anstam's Dispel Dances album from last year amongst other things). The 21s are very nicely balanced, not quite enough bass for me but will be fine for many particularly in smaller rooms. The bigger 22 actually didn't produce that much more bass, it is well controlled, the treble presentation is the same as the smaller speaker (you get a hell of a lot of detail in that range in electronic music like this), but I found they could get a bit shouty. Leema Tucana II was used, which of course drove them exceptionally well.

I didn't have time to switch back to the 21s to compare again, ideally I will get both of these for a home demo at some point. The room is 6m long and the very forward presentation of the 22 may work well.

(I posted this in the Twenty 23 thread too, by mistake...)

A

Anonymous

I wasn't very impressed with the .21, but was with the .22, both heard on different days. It might have been one of those not impressed by anything days. I have the DB1is at home, and they're excellent. I got them used for $1100. Been trying to sell them now, but they're notoriously hard to sell here in the US. This is not a well known brand.

When I first got them, they felt rather recessed in the midrange. Filling sand in the speaker stand fixed things up. I'm sure better stands will make things even better, but don't want to sink more money into a second system.

TRENDING THREADS