Audiophile (Very High) Quality Recordings

StevenKay

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Audiophiles and all Music Lovers

Audiophile (Very High) Quality Recordings

Could you please recommend some CDs which are of the highest possible (audiophile) quality in the following categories:

a) Classical Music

b) Jazz

c) Hard Rock

Thanks

Steven Kay

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I'll start off with MTV unplugged albums (particularly Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Eric Clapton). Fantastic albums and beautiful quality.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
For Classical and Jazz I would recommend "The Absolute Sound TAS" series in hybrid SACD format. For vocals try hybrid SACD "Closer to the Music" Vol. 1 to 3 from Stockfisch Records. If your player can play SACD you will be amazed by the quality of recordings in these Albums.

A

Anonymous

Higest quality classical CD I own:

61UxltiLkQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Highest quality rock CD I own:

61To9o8MyzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That is, the original 1992 release

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Ill also recommend Alice in Chains unplugged. Like being there on a good setup. RATM eponymous for a virtually prefectly produced heavy rock cd. Anything by Reference recordings for classical. Breathtaking dynamics. For jazz id recommend Moving by Bugge Wessletoft. Very modern but very good. Anything on the Naim and Linn labels.

T

the record spot

I'd wise up to the good recordings/masterings that have been out there for years without having to spend shedloads. For instance, if you're a Gerry Rafferty fan, check out the current twofers from EMI which has his Night Owl and City to City albums. HMV are doing them on a two for £10 deal, so effectively a fiver each.

What's the fuss? They took the Steve Hoffman mastering for City to City for the release, which you'll only find on an out of print DCC release that'll cost a load more to lay hands on now.

T

the record spot

This is the 2CD set I was referring to earlier. Should've popped this in but I think it's widely available. Now £4.49 on Amazon and free delivery.

51ypzEnERFL._SS400_.jpg

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
margetti said:
Don't like these type of threads - they always cost me money!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Tell me about it!

Currently have cursor hovering over 'add to basket' re MoFi's Ultradisc UHR™ SACD versions of Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and Let's Get It On, among others...
smiley-kiss.gif

But they're $30 each...
smiley-surprised.gif

And with my luck I'll get clobbered for VAT, too
smiley-yell.gif

T

the record spot

Go to the UK Amazon site and search for Mobile Fidelity. You'll find some keener prices from Uk sellers. I picked up the mo-fi version of The Yes Album for about £14 delivered. Likewise Audio Fidelity's version of Billy Joel's Glass Houses. It can be done although assume they're always the best versions.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
Go to the UK Amazon site and search for Mobile Fidelity. You'll find some keener prices from Uk sellers. I picked up the mo-fi version of The Yes Album for about £14 delivered. Likewise Audio Fidelity's version of Billy Joel's Glass Houses. It can be done although assume they're always the best versions.

You did well to snap 'em up early, The RS...
smiley-wink.gif

MoFi's Yes Album is now £34 at Amazon
smiley-surprised.gif

Billy Joel's Glass Houses is £32 at Amazon
smiley-money-mouth.gif

T

the record spot

Ah, don't buy from Amazon itself, but one of the other retailers on there, just look at the bottom of the page you've linked to: "6 New from £13.95"....the devil's in the detail!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It costs me too - linking to MoFi from this thread *made* me buy their latest Frank Sinatra mastering. Ordered From Diverse Vinyl online - delivered today; cheaper than Amazon!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Big Chris said:
The MoFi remaster of Faith No More's 'Angel Dust' is excellent..... Sadly, the MoFi of Megadeth's 'Countdown To Extinction' isn't.

There're three versions for sale on Amazon: a 1992 release, a 1999 and a 2010, which is the MoFi version?

Ta
smiley-smile.gif

Mine says 2008. It's in a cardboard sleeve with "Original Master Recording" written along the top, and "special limited edition" on the back in the bottom left corner (mine's #00142).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts