Audiophile Pressings - Faults

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I just wondered for those that buy 180g new pressings - how often do they come up faulty in your experience. I ask because i bought my first one this week - received today - Kate Bush, Hounds Of Love and sadly it came complete with a few rasps (best description) on side 1 track 1 but then side 2 track 1 has a couple more and was complete with a deep enough scratch to repeatedly jump. Sadly i sent it back same day - hope copy 2 fares better or i may ditch the attempt. Anyway after track 1 side 1 was fine and sounded warmer than my cd copy. Interesting the difference, i can hear more detail on the cd but the sound is deeper and more enveloping on the 180g lp. I dont think i have a preference yet given the short playtime, other than i would quite like to own both still.

A

Anonymous

I have bought 50 or so 180g pressings and I have never received one that was so bad it jumped. I have received 4 with scratches so bad that they cause a "beat" to be produced for a couple of tracks but I am convinced that any faults have been caused by poor packaging in the post. I now buy all my vinyl from somewhere that I know packages it properly. The quality of the actual vinyl received from this place ranges from very good to immaculate. The mastering quality on the other hand is occasionally disappointing, but when you get a record that is perfect in every way it is magical.

A

Anonymous

I received a Metallica - Black Album today, it isn't 180g but it is seal wrapped new, and it has a few problems during Nothing Else Matters (sod's law ..), so it's mostly likely bad luck than anything else. I also have LPs that are 10+ years old that are fine, as am sure you do too. Not that I'm an old git or anything. Or feeling worried about my recent 28th birthday, either.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Most audiophile pressings are faultless - we've had a few through over the years with tiny faults and simply replace them if there is an issue. As odd as it seems, occasional brand new audiophile pressings have a very thin layer on them from the stamper during production. Although it sounds crazy to have to do this with a new record (I simply consider it part of "running in" in principle), some new LPs benefit from being cleaned on a record cleaning machine once when new that removes this film. If they aren't perfect, give your dealer a call.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts