audiolab separates to arcam solo neo and p38 power amp

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Was wondering how good a solo neo wld be with an a 38 power amp as im looking to down size my system which is all audio lab 8000 series cd pre amp and 2 monos monitor audio ra 1s and arcam t32 tuner

Dear oh dear...

The Naim Uniti and Audiolab are poles apart with Arcam sitting somewhere in the middle.

It'll be unlikely anyone would of heard or even considered Solo with a P38.

Audition, audition, audition.

The problem is you're unsure about the end game. If you aren't sure, how can we advise with any confidence?

Do you want to downsize or out and out SQ?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Lol whats the dear oh dear for i appreciate any advice given but if your a bit cheesed off with my posts why answer. Anyway whats wrong with the solo neo plus power amp the unit dows have pre outs and ive read that the naim uniti plus power amp is good upgrade dont see the solo neo being an different thanks for advice tho

audioaddict said:
Lol whats the dear oh dear for i appreciate any advice given but if your a bit cheesed off with my posts why answer. Anyway whats wrong with the solo neo plus power amp the unit dows have pre outs and ive read that the naim uniti plus power amp is good upgrade dont see the solo neo being an different thanks for advice tho

The Solo is a very capable unit. I've not heard the Neo but have heard the original Solo. The Neo retails at around £1300, the Uniti is between £2300- £2990 approx. The Solo, whether the original or the Neo, has the guts (amplification and CDP) of the Arcam entry-level A18 and CD17 and it's just tweaked a little. The FMJ P38 was designed to go with A38, top of the range. So it should sound fine and be a real decent upgrade to a standalone Neo.

Considering the A18 retails around £600 mark, adding a P38 maybe an overkill. But this is guesswork.

We can only offer advice, so take in your Audiolabs (might seem a lot of faffing but it'll be worth it) and comparing it other combos you suggested.

BTW, what sources do you use?

peterkin1010

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The Solo Neo is an outstanding all in one unit-giving some seperates systems a run for their money. However everything else being equal, seperates will always win out-at least as far as sound quality is concerned.

However as far as your particular combination is concerned, I agree with the reply. You certainly need an audition and it would be good to bring in your Audiolab equipment for comparison.

Definitly a considered approach for both you and the dealer but I can't state strongly enough that it is necessary.

And this has a lot to do with the fact that Audiolab and Arcam have different sound characteristics, there is no hard and fast rules here but I adore Arcam warm and relaxing sound.

peterkin1010

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh and I've just noticed your speaker cable.

QED Silver Anniversary is perfectly OK but you will gain a substantial improvement by upgrading it.

Sticking with QED, I'd go for their best-kept secret. XT-400 with Airlocs.

It's an old cable, going back to about 1998 but one they got absolutly right first time.

Big benefits in detail and balance over Silver Anniversary.

Converesely if you're into Audioquest then go for the Rocket 33 but this will be a considerable if worthwhile investment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts