Audiolab Selection

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hello all - a new member - be gentle! :)

My Marantz PM44SE died last week after 24 years of faithful service. I have decided to spend a little more and have been researching Cambridge and Audiolab components. I haven't had the opportunity to listen before buying and won't have - my life is just too busy. I currently have Monitor Audio Silver 5i floorstanders, an Audiolab M-DAC and a Marantz CD63 (which will be replaced as well).

I have looked at the Cambridge CX range (was considering a CXA60 and CXC) and dismissed that as an option. My budget won't stretch to the Audiolab 8300 series for everything I would like, so I am thinking about the 8200 series; particularly:

2 x 8200M, then either the 8200Q or the 8200A. Want a matching CD unit, so either the 8200CD or 8200CDQ.

As both CD units have the same DAC as my M-DAC, do I need the M-DAC in the above setup? Or am I better off selling it?

Thoughts?

Yamyam

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
If you are looking at the Audiolabs then you shouldn't need the 8200Q or 8200A - the 8200CDQ also has a DAC and pre-amp. So the 8200CDQ + 2x8200M or 8200P would be worth considering.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You could also just add a "Multiplayer" (DVD/BlueRay) to your system and connect to your M-Dac.And no the Dac-functions are not really exactly the same in both units.Then just add the power amp/s.Btw. the Audiolab MPWR are also easily up to drive your MA and do sound pretty good.There is also a CD Player in this size.

If you want the 8200 Series than 8200CDQ+8200P/2x8200M.You would not need the M-Dac any more.

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I visited a chap in Buckinghamshire today who has been repairing Audiolab components for decades. I bought a serviced (English) 8000A from him; so far I am very happy with my decision. I am potentially returning during the week to collect a pair of 8000M and an 8000CDM to add to it. I say potentially, because listening to a 24 bit/96 kHz streamed audio file (Amazon Prime Music via m-DAC USB) on my 250 Ohm Beyerdynamics plugged into the 8000A sounds amazing; loads of definition and seperation. If I play the same tracks through the Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers, the sound is nothing like as good. The audio is 'muddied' and nowhere near as distinct as through the cans. Volume through the speakers isn't a problem, it's the quality.

I am guessing my speakers aren't actually that good. What speakers would be a better match for the 8000A in terms of getting the detail I'd like?

TIA.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As you have saved a lot of money by going for the (much) older 8000 series I assume you have a fair budget for speakers.

Problem is, to replicate sound quality of any decent pair of headphones you really need to spend decent money on speakers.

I'd start with something like Kef LS50 or Quads new range with ribbons.

If you have a big space (or like it very loud) it will get even more expensive and you have to go bigger plus probably add power amps.

Lots of choice out there.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Audiolab.....

I had a 8200a a few years ago on demo - your findings for the 8000 is about the same as mine.

The amp, driving a pair of Mission 782se's was underwhelming, I'm convinced the amp was faulty simply because since then I've read reviews by users who where happy with its sound.

But to my ears it was really poor at low levels it was actually quite good, but going north of 2o'clock on the volume dial I was quite alarmed - that was before comparing it with my old amp. I had it running for nearly a month.

But like you I found its headphone stage phenomenal - Beyer-dynamic 231's headphones.

So I'd suggest before replacing the speakers take it back to that fella you got it from and test it in his home.

It could be the unit that's faulty.

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
My budget is about £800. I'm concerned to make sure I spend it in the right way. I guess I am most concerned that if I buy the two 8000M and bi-wire the MA Silver 5is and that doesn't improve the clarity and detail then I am back to square one and have to buy new speakers any way.

I heard the 8000A on B&W stand mounted speakers at the guys house; driving the speakers on it's own, then with a TAG power amp, then with an 8000P. It sounded good with all options, but best with the TAG. I don't think the amp is the issue.

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Also, can I take my amp into somewhere like Richer Sounds (or similar) and have them connect different candidates? I know the room is going to be a different size, but it should give more of an idea?

George Hincapie

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
drummerman said:
As you have saved a lot of money by going for the (much) older 8000 series I assume you have a fair budget for speakers.

Problem is, to replicate sound quality of any decent pair of headphones you really need to spend decent money on speakers.

If you have a big space (or like it very loud) it will get even more expensive and you have to go bigger plus probably add power amps.

Will the KEFs be good enough? They don't look very big. My listening room is a rectangle - roughly 6m x 10m.

Also, I was told that I'd have to spend well in excess of £1K to buy an amp that would perform noticbly better, so that age doesn't bother me. I understand that the English 8000As have always been regarded as solid performers and this has been serviced so it performs better than standard.

George Hincapie said:
drummerman said:

Will the KEFs be good enough? They don't look very big. My listening room is a rectangle - roughly 6m x 10m.

Also, I was told that I'd have to spend well in excess of £1K to buy an amp that would perform noticbly better, so that age doesn't bother me. I understand that the English 8000As have always been regarded as solid performers and this has been serviced so it performs better than standard.

For that room size I would look at floostanders, Keg Q500 or Cambridge Aero Max 6.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Thompsonuxb said:
... but going north of 2o'clock on the volume dial ...
Strewth, I don't think I've ever taken mine over 12 o'clock, I can't imagine how loud it gets after 2 o'clock. Mind you, mine's so old now it'd probably go bang!!

Hah.....you spotted my deliberate mistake.... I meant 8o'clock..... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts