Audiolab, marantz, leema?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Morning folks

Looking at upgrading my cdp and could do with some advice. So far I have only demoed a roksan kandy cd player and enjoyed the sound very much. The only area that could be improved would be the lower end which was very detailed but could be improved with a little more weight and authority. My local shop has on demo at the moment audiolab 8200 cdp and marantz ki pearl lite cdp. I am thinking of booking a demo for both of these and wandered how they will compare to the roksan? I like the idea of having digital inputs which gives these an advantage over the roksan.

So this would be a simple demo and decide which of the 3 I like the best however shopping online I have seen a few leema stream 3 cdps for the same price. Does anyone know how this would sound in comparison as I do not have any local stockists of leema?

My budget at the moment is £800 however I will save for longer if the need be.

Thanks

Ben K. said:
Morning folks

Looking at upgrading my cdp and could do with some advice. So far I have only demoed a roksan kandy cd player and enjoyed the sound very much. The only area that could be improved would be the lower end which was very detailed but could be improved with a little more weight and authority. My local shop has on demo at the moment audiolab 8200 cdp and marantz ki pearl lite cdp. I am thinking of booking a demo for both of these and wandered how they will compare to the roksan? I like the idea of having digital inputs which gives these an advantage over the roksan.

So this would be a simple demo and decide which of the 3 I like the best however shopping online I have seen a few leema stream 3 cdps for the same price. Does anyone know how this would sound in comparison as I do not have any local stockists of leema?

My budget at the moment is £800 however I will save for longer if the need be.

Thanks

For your approx budget you can pick up ex-dem Arcam CD37. Alternatively Exposure 2010S2 is a wonderful match, likewise Rega Apollo.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’m not really up on the most current models or price brackets but in general I’ve always been very impressed with Rega CDP, not heard better, in my opinion, for the money.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Roksan K2 CDP is really good, and I rate it over their matching amp in direct contradiction to WHF.

I did write to Roksan about releasing it with a digital in, but never did hear back.

I agree though, the Audiolab seems a lot more useful. Have you thought about a CDQ to add a pre-amp ?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

For your approx budget you can pick up ex-dem Arcam CD37. Alternatively Exposure 2010S2 is a wonderful match, likewise Rega Apollo.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply PP. I have been looking at arcam cd37 as Im an arcam fan and from reviews it does sound like it may be to my liking. The cheapest I have found so far is 1100 so a little more saving needed if I do that. I'm not able to demo exposure locally and rega cdps being top loaders will be no good in my rack.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
The Roksan K2 CDP is really good, and I rate it over their matching amp in direct contradiction to WHF.

I did write to Roksan about releasing it with a digital in, but never did hear back.

I agree though, the Audiolab seems a lot more useful. Have you thought about a CDQ to add a pre-amp ?

Hello Richard

I think the k2 is fantastic and would probably would have bought it if it had digital inputs. I have only recently purchased my Arcam A38 amp so have no intention of replacing it and therefore no need for a pre-amp.

Had my eye on a second hand MF M6 cd but it went for more than I could bid on it.

Thanks

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been delighted with my Pearl Lite which replaced a Micromega.

The build quality is outstanding (I'm an electronics tech and such matter mean a lot to me) and the Pearl Lite also has one of the best mechs/pickups in the business.

Oh, and the sound quality is sublime, a truly musical and engaging player.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Mooly said:
I've been delighted with my Pearl Lite which replaced a Micromega.

The build quality is outstanding (I'm an electronics tech and such matter mean a lot to me) and the Pearl Lite also has one of the best mechs/pickups in the business.

Oh, and the sound quality is sublime, a truly musical and engaging player.

Thanks for the reply

What partnering kit do you use with your pearl lite? What types of music and what presentation do you like?

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply PP. I have been looking at arcam cd37 as Im an arcam fan and from reviews it does sound like it may be to my liking. The cheapest I have found so far is 1100 so a little more saving needed if I do that. I'm not able to demo exposure locally and rega cdps being top loaders will be no good in my rack.

[/quote]

I have seen CD37s on auction sites as low as £600. One of my local dealers was selling a silver ex-dem version for around £800 AFAICR.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

[/quote]

I have seen CD37s on auction sites as low as £600. One of my local dealers was selling a silver ex-dem version for around £800 AFAICR.

[/quote]

What auction sites do you know of?

I only know flea bay. I have seen Ssav have ex demo but they are 1159 and another company has an ex dem for 1099?

If I could find one for 800 would be worth taking a chance on it I think

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
An update on my situation. Following suggestions by PP I have searched the net and found an ex demo cd37 for 800. One recently sold on eBay 2nd hand for 700 so the way I see it, I get a lengthy demo and worst case scenario I should be able to sell it on with not much loss. Hopefully I will like it and I will post back when it arrives and has had some use.

thanks for the idea PP hopefully I have spent my 800 budget well!

Ben K. said:
An update on my situation. Following suggestions by PP I have searched the net and found an ex demo cd37 for 800. One recently sold on eBay 2nd hand for 700 so the way I see it, I get a lengthy demo and worst case scenario I should be able to sell it on with not much loss. Hopefully I will like it and I will post back when it arrives and has had some use.

thanks for the idea PP hopefully I have spent my 800 budget well!

Nice one. If I go traditional CDP route the CD37, along with Rega Saturn would be my choices for the Pulse.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Good evening.

My cd37 arrived yesterday and I managed to get it up and running this afternoon. First few hours and I'm very happy. No surprise that its a good step up from my marantz cd6003 (although a very good player).

First the treble. Very smooth (even smoother than cd6003 which was quite smooth) and extra details present.

Midrange is a little clearer, more open and again more detail.

Bass has more weight and much better resolution.

Soundstage sounds bigger and instruments sound more natural, everything sounds more organised and each instrument seems to have its own little space.

Overall there is more authority but its delivered very smoothly and the details are very good but at the same time subtle and not shoved in your face.

Just my opinion of course but so far I'm impressed!

Ben K. said:
Good evening.

My cd37 arrived yesterday and I managed to get it up and running this afternoon. First few hours and I'm very happy. No surprise that its a good step up from my marantz cd6003 (although a very good player).

First the treble. Very smooth (even smoother than cd6003 which was quite smooth) and extra details present.

Midrange is a little clearer, more open and again more detail.

Bass has more weight and much better resolution.

Soundstage sounds bigger and instruments sound more natural, everything sounds more organised and each instrument seems to have its own little space.

Overall there is more authority but its delivered very smoothly and the details are very good but at the same time subtle and not shoved in your face.

Just my opinion of course but so far I'm impressed!

Sounds rather good. It'll probably sound even better over the next few days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts