Audiolab M-DAC or 8200DQ or MF M1DAC and M1HPA

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I wonder if anyone would care to offer their opinion on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the above mentioned components?
Ideally I would use as a preamp direct to a power amp (thinking of MF M1PWR or Audiolab 8200P or even a second hand Quad 909 but open to suggestions) or would I be better off going into an integrated amp with analogue pre rather than using the digital pre?
(Wife would like everything to match of course)
The Audiolab solution is obviously one box against MF two boxes, the headphone output is important as well.
Price wise there is not a lot in it, the M-DAC being a couple of hundred quid cheaper.
Inputs would be TV, Denon DBP-2010, Humax PVR and flac via USB from laptop.

Current system is Rega Brio 3 and Linn Index speakers. I am replacing the speakers and am very taken by what I have read about the Harbeth P3ESR so really am looking to come up with a shortlist of DAC/amp combinations to demo with the Harbeths.

Music tastes range from Dire Straits and Steely Dan to Diana Krall and Miles Davies. The set up will also be used for TV & movies; probably the most important thing for me is clarity of vocals and dialogue. My ears are overly sensitive to high frequencies and I am looking for a warm relaxing sound rather than analytical but also like to be able to hear separation between instruments, if that makes sense. I find it very difficult to describe what I'm after in audiophile terms and would aim to keep this kit until it was obselete or broken!

Any thoughts are most welcome...

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Enjoying the M-DAC straight into a power amp using XLRs. Found it too much at first. It bit back alot with music, the detail was too much and hurt when played loud. Sensitive to HF too. A month or two in and it just sounds nothing but smooth and clear. On the pink fish media forum the designer recommends the M-DAC setup into a power amp using XLRs. It is recommended over the CDQ. Different power amps are also recommended on pink fish forum, thousands and thousands of posts on it. I don't think the Audiolab amp is recommended as much as other amps. I would look on that forum. It is full of people who know their stuff.

dragon76

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
M-DAC is great as preamp straight to power amp. It however doesn't have analogue inputs in case in the future you plan on using turntable, etc. If this is not an issue for you, then definitely M-DAC. It also has very decent headphone amp, so this should work great for you. Finally, M-DAC comes with remote control so it is an excellent feature, and it was one of the decisive points for me when I was selecting a DAC.

M-DAC is not bright, but at the same time it is not too warm, and based on your listening preferences it may be an issue, so see if you can get a demo of it before you buy. When setting up your laptop to work with M-DAC make sure you optimize it for best possible audio reproduction, since M-DAC, as well as many other modern DACs are sensitive to the quality of transports. Better transport would allow M-DAC to deliver the best results.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I have read that MDAC is perceived as bright by some but not by others, how much would the choice of power amp temper the brightness? Is the Musical Fidelity DAC better in that respect? It's all very subjective.

I know I need to listen to them but can't find anywhere that sells Audiolab, MF and Harbeth!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts