Audiolab 8200dq better than rDAC with t/t?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks.I use Dynaudio BM5A Mk2 speakers going through an arcam rdac, into my PC via USB. Nearfield listening. I want to add a vinyl player into this mix while upgrading DAC, so, after some research, I'm looking into buying an Audiolab 8200dq, because it has three analogue inputs for connecting vinyl. The system also has rave reviews.My questions are:1) Would the *pre-amp* in the Audiolab improve the sound quality of my system when listening to music from my PC via USB? Or would the addition of a preamp be inconsequential in this case?2) Is the DAC in the Audiolab a significant improvement from my Arcam rDAC? I can't seem to find many reviews of the Audiolab 8200dq online.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Willferox said:
Hey folks.I use Dynaudio BM5A Mk2 speakers going through an arcam rdac, into my PC via USB. Nearfield listening. I want to add a vinyl player into this mix while upgrading DAC, so, after some research, I'm looking into buying an Audiolab 8200dq, because it has three analogue inputs for connecting vinyl. The system also has rave reviews.My questions are:1) Would the *pre-amp* in the Audiolab improve the sound quality of my system when listening to music from my PC via USB? Or would the addition of a preamp be inconsequential in this case?2) Is the DAC in the Audiolab a significant improvement from my Arcam rDAC? I can't seem to find many reviews of the Audiolab 8200dq online.

As you have realised you need a 'full function' digital/analogue preamp and these are pretty rare.

Many digital preamps use a digital volume control, so implementing analogue inputs would be very difficult so many simply do not bother, look no further than the M-Dac as an example.

Add to that remote control of volume, asyncronous usb input and they get rarer still.

Hopefully someone might have other suggestions but I am a bit stumped here.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Davodotco, the audiolab 8200dq has all of these things. It is a dac and a preamp with digital and analogue inputs and balanced XLR outputs. Any idea if the dac would be an inprovement on the arc rdac, and if the addition of a preamp would benefit my setup?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Davodotco, the audiolab 8200dq has all of these things. It is a dac and a preamp with digital and analogue inputs and balanced XLR outputs. Any idea if the dac would be an inprovement on the arc rdac, and if the addition of a preamp would benefit my setup?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Willferox said:

I know, but it is rather pricey and I was looking for alternatives.

I am not a fan of Arcam dacs, I feel they bring little to the table and i'm not desperately keen on Audiolab product either though I have not heard the 8200dq.

Pretty hard to come by but my choice would be a Matrix Quattro, does everything you need and should cost less than £500. Have to order out of Hong Kong though, I believe Coolfungadget/Tam Audio are a reliable dealer.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
See if you can have a home demo of the audiolab.

Not keen on the idea of buying in from HongKong - what happens regarding returns, warranty and support when there are no UK dealers? Plus, of course, you have to buy blind.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
See if you can have a home demo of the audiolab.

Not keen on the idea of buying in from HongKong - what happens regarding returns, warranty and support when there are no UK dealers? Plus, of course, you have to buy blind.

Agreed, it is the price you pay, though the dealer I mention does have a good reputation regarding such matters.

Matrix product does occasionally show up in the uk via 'internet' retailers in which case you have some protection regarding returns and refunds, the Mini I, a remote control digital pre-amp sounds great, has plenty of functionality and is available, from a UK dealer for less than £250.

No analogue inputs though, so no use to the OP.

TRENDING THREADS