AUDIOLAB 8200A - ADVICE PLEASE

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I managed to get a good deal on the Audiolab 8200CD and Audiolab 8200A amplifier. I was impressed after a recent demo and my wife is happy that the units match!! However, I would appreciate some advice on the best speakers to use with the Audiolab set-up.

At the moment I can budget for around £400 (although less would be better). The speakers will probably be near to a wall in a room of 20ft by 15ft. I listen to all genres of music from metal to opera although rock/heavy rock is probably the most popular.

I am interested in the Usher S520 which I am told are great value for money and pair well with the Audiolab units. The Monitor Audio BX2 are also on my radar and the Wharfedale 10.1 have been offered to me at a decent price.

I would be intereste in any suggestions on speakers that would match with this set-up.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

You've got a superb amp and CDP there so decent speaker matching is necessary

At an absolute minimum I'd go with the Monitor Audio BX2's but the B&W 685's would be a better match. They sound superb with the Audiolab behind them
emotion-1.gif

The EB Acoustic EB1's should be worth considering as well.

How near to the wall will the speakers be though; the likes of the Monitor Audio RX1's would be a very good match but they're rear ported so they do need some breathing room.

Would you look at floorstanders? For just a little over your budget you could get some Monitor Audio BX5's etc...

gareth133:

Hi,

I managed to get a good deal on the Audiolab 8200CD and Audiolab 8200A amplifier. I was impressed after a recent demo and my wife is happy that the units match!! However, I would appreciate some advice on the best speakers to use with the Audiolab set-up.

At the moment I can budget for around £400 (although less would be better). The speakers will probably be near to a wall in a room of 20ft by 15ft. I listen to all genres of music from metal to opera although rock/heavy rock is probably the most popular.

I am interested in the Usher S520 which I am told are great value for money and pair well with the Audiolab units. The Monitor Audio BX2 are also on my radar and the Wharfedale 10.1 have been offered to me at a decent price.

I would be intereste in any suggestions on speakers that would match with this set-up.

Thanks

I have heard the Ushers and they are fantastic, although not with Audiolab. The Wharfedales are great little speakers I think you'll need better for the Audiolab, however, maybe a good idea to ask the dealer for speaker choice with your budget.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
When you demoed the Audiolab's what speaker's did they rig up and how did they sound?

As your looking for speaker's i'd take the Audiolab's along and have a listen to the Usher's and Wharfdale's and go from there.

Audiolab and Quad have good synergy may be worth a demo if available.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

My set-up's not quite the same as yours since I'm still using my old NAD 302 amp but I've recently upgraded the rest of the kit to the Audiolab 8200CD and a pair of Epos Epic 2 (large standmount, £425/pr). So I would certainly consider these on your shortlist. My room is similar size, I've got them 8" from a back wall but the mfr's recommendation is minimum 4" so shouldn't be any problems there. I demo'd them against the B&W 685 and found them to be more detailed, realistic and revealing in the mid-range, something I like with acoustic music, female voice, etc. And still enough oomph to make heavier music an enjoyable listen; good punchy bass if not boombastic. Might sound completely different through the 8200A (which I'm considering upgrading to as it happens) but definitely worth a listen IMO.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:Audiolab and Quad have good synergy may be worth a demo if available.

I can certainly second that. Sound amazing together and you can get the 11's for a bargain price at the minute. Stunning finish as well. I've got mine just a couple of inches away from the rear way and they don't seem to mind it at all, no bass boom etc. The 12's could be worth looking at as well.

gareth133

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I would love floorstanders but a quick scan around the room for potential speaker placement indicates that they would be wasted so it will have to be standmounts.

They will be anything from 4" - 8" from the wall. They may well be positioned in a corner, however I'll avoid this if possible. Either way, I'll ensure the distance from the wall is the same.

I have been told that the B&W 685s are a great match for the system but my understanding is that they need plenty of room to breath. I believe the same is true for the EB1s so perhaps 4"-8" from the wall isn't enough?

I will be auditioning speakers before I buy but please keep the suggestions coming.

A

Anonymous

dont forget 2nd hand and ebay--its done me many favors for affordable kit. i think b&w would work coz Ive used the dm602 s3 with my audiolab pre-mono combo and they sounded great--no as great as my monitor audio GR60's but they cost more. i find audiolab quite smooth and neutral so you should have some choice of speakers.

good luck and take your time.

cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts