Audiolab 8000a problem

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can help me here, I have an Audiolab 8000a which has a couple of problems. On switch on there is a humming noise coming from the speakers but is more evident on the phono input, when switching the CD player on the music will come out of the CD input at normal volume and at very low volume on every other input. Finally the volume does not come in gradually but instantly loud resulting in the volume knob not being able to go past 8.30-9 o'clock before walls start crumbling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

A

Anonymous

Sounds either like you have an earthing problem actually within the amplifier..hence the humming noise through the speakers.or its a more serious problem like a blown capacitor or earthing problem with the transformer...either way..I would get an amp doctor to have a gander at it..

I personally would'nt use it till u've had it checked over...just in case your speakers don't like it.

If it is fixable,its worth getting it done for less then £100 'cause their fabulous little amplifiers...much more than that and it might be worth looking into getting another secondhand Audiolab amp.

Hope this helps a little...:)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I saw an ad a while ago that said that Musical Fidelity could refurbish British built 8000As. I have no idea of the cost or how good a job they make but it might be worth enquiring.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Hi Guys

Hopefully someone can help me here, I have an Audiolab 8000a which has a couple of problems. On switch on there is a humming noise coming from the speakers but is more evident on the phono input, when switching the CD player on the music will come out of the CD input at normal volume and at very low volume on every other input. Finally the volume does not come in gradually but instantly loud resulting in the volume knob not being able to go past 8.30-9 o'clock before walls start crumbling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Was the amp working fine then started to do this or is it a recent purchase. Also which version is it, the one with Din inputs, silver phono's or gold phono's ?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Raggabunny said:
Sounds either like you have an earthing problem actually within the amplifier..hence the humming noise through the speakers.or its a more serious problem like a blown capacitor or earthing problem with the transformer...either way..I would get an amp doctor to have a gander at it..

I personally would'nt use it till u've had it checked over...just in case your speakers don't like it.

If it is fixable,its worth getting it done for less then £100 'cause their fabulous little amplifiers...much more than that and it might be worth looking into getting another secondhand Audiolab amp.

Hope this helps a little...:)

Thanks for that, I was thinking along the same lines with the blown capacitor.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
mitch65 said:
It was a recent purchase, am waiting for a response from seller, it's an 'E' serial number so 95/96?
Thought you was going to say that. Just sounds like you have been sold a lemon, I have fixed quite a few of these, because they are getting on in age now there are always dry capacitors which need replacing. The phono section has a seperate power supply who's voltage regulators run really hot (there on the left side of the unit near the front) the smoothing caps for this supply are always duff and need replacing. With regards to the volume control it sounds like the pot has been replaced but a linear pot has been put in instead of a logarithmic. You could check by taking the lid off, the volume pot in your model should be a nobel 30k pot which is big black and square in shape. The volume imbalance on different inputs is a strange one, are the phone sockets in good condition as they are prone to cracking up.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
eggontoast said:
mitch65 said:
It was a recent purchase, am waiting for a response from seller, it's an 'E' serial number so 95/96?
Thought you was going to say that. Just sounds like you have been sold a lemon, I have fixed quite a few of these, because they are getting on in age now there are always dry capacitors which need replacing. The phono section has a seperate power supply who's voltage regulators run really hot (there on the left side of the unit near the front) the smoothing caps for this supply are always duff and need replacing. With regards to the volume control it sounds like the pot has been replaced but a linear pot has been put in instead of a logarithmic. You could check by taking the lid off, the volume pot in your model should be a nobel 30k pot which is big black and square in shape. The volume imbalance on different inputs is a strange one, are the phone sockets in good condition as they are prone to cracking up.

well, I suppose it had to happen some time. One thing to be wrong is unfortunate but alarm bells did star to ring when I started making a list!! thanks for info

oh and all the phono inputs look in excellent condition

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
eggontoast said:
mitch65 said:
Thanks for your input guys, the seller is refunding me the purchase price so no real harm done.
Do you have to return the amp ?

Yes, not that lucky
smiley-cry.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi

I joined this forum to try and solve a problem with my Audiolab 8000A and immediately came across your post trying help somebody with their problem so thought I'd try and make contact with you, hope you don't mind.

The problem is that when I connected Tech Link iWires 3.5mm RCA Phono cables (bought from Apple store) to try and play i-tunes on my Macbook through my 8000a the amp no longer works - I suspect something has blown, but not being tech minded I have no idea what or why.

All I did was connect from the earphone point on my Macbook to the phono sockets on the 8000A, I heard some sound for a second or so and then nothing. Now the amp won't work at all.

Any suggestions as to what he problem might be?

Thanks

Tony

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Tony0600 said:
Hi

I joined this forum to try and solve a problem with my Audiolab 8000A and immediately came across your post trying help somebody with their problem so thought I'd try and make contact with you, hope you don't mind.

The problem is that when I connected Tech Link iWires 3.5mm RCA Phono cables (bought from Apple store) to try and play i-tunes on my Macbook through my 8000a the amp no longer works - I suspect something has blown, but not being tech minded I have no idea what or why.

All I did was connect from the earphone point on my Macbook to the phono sockets on the 8000A, I heard some sound for a second or so and then nothing. Now the amp won't work at all.

Any suggestions as to what he problem might be?

Thanks

Tony

If my memory is correct there is a 1amp glass covered fuse inside the Audiolab, you may have blown this. This refers to a 1986 version.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Just hope that it is an 'earthing' problem or an O/C capacitor in say the main PS.

It could also be your amplifier trying to put half the rail DC voltage across your bass driver coi. :O

As has been mentioned.

Get it checked out, measure the voltage on the O/P terminals with a DC meter, anything over a few mv indicates problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts