Audiolab 6000A Play

bart

Oct 5, 2020
Visit site
Interesting review, I enjoyed reading it! You compare it to the Marantz PM7000N, which in my opining is certainly a step up budget wise, especially as the 6000A can be found for around €650+ in sale. Which amp (with or without integrated pre-amp), would you advice over of the 6000a in the same price category? How would you for instance compare it to the Marantz PM6007 or even the 6006?

Cheers, B

mfwalker1

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Audiolab’s one-box blend of two five-star components makes for an entertaining streaming amplifier.

Audiolab 6000A Play : Read more
Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Except the stupid "mode" dial. 99% of users will use this as a system centred integrated amp, as it was designed to be. I can't imagine ANYBODY using this as a power amp only, possibly a pre.... a waste of front panel real estate - these functions should be buried deep down in in the menu where they belong...
Audiolab have persevered with this unnecessary "mode" switch for quite a few models now. Someone at AL HQ obviously thinks it's important, but have they done their user research? Who clicks that thing?
Speaking of menu. I downloaded the manual, There's an obscure reference under 'menu' to PPL DG2 and PPL OP2"normal" and "wide" without the slightest explanation as to what these settings do. A pretty lackluster "manual" all round.
I was quite exited to see "balance" in the system menu. I need this due to my listening environment, and poor sources (old vinyl).
I'd audition, and possibly buy, in a flash if they replaced "mode" dial with "balance" (like NAIM do}.
My 2c. Matt

Dawei88

Jan 2, 2021
Visit site
Ticks a lot of boxes for me. Except the stupid "mode" dial. 99% of users will use this as a system centred integrated amp, as it was designed to be. I can't imagine ANYBODY using this as a power amp only, possibly a pre.... a waste of front panel real estate - these functions should be buried deep down in in the menu where they belong...
Audiolab have persevered with this unnecessary "mode" switch for quite a few models now. Someone at AL HQ obviously thinks it's important, but have they done their user research? Who clicks that thing?
Speaking of menu. I downloaded the manual, There's an obscure reference under 'menu' to PPL DG2 and PPL OP2"normal" and "wide" without the slightest explanation as to what these settings do. A pretty lackluster "manual" all round.
I was quite exited to see "balance" in the system menu. I need this due to my listening environment, and poor sources (old vinyl).
I'd audition, and possibly buy, in a flash if they replaced "mode" dial with "balance" (like NAIM do}.
My 2c. Matt
AL HQ precisely know what people need and this mode switch is actually very useful and it is THE extra feature that make me consider to buy this product. Having the possibility to switch to pre power mode to have it part of a AV set up as well (HT bypass) is more than welcome and I hope all other company will include this feature.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I am a little confused... is the amplification part of the Play not the exact same as the 6000A? And the streaming circuitry the same as the 6000N? Or is the sound of this amp in some way inferior to the standalone amp?

I would have expected the two 5 star products which the form the basis of the Play to have the Play yield a similar 5 star review...

Reactions: spacecadet

spacecadet

Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
I would have expected the two 5 star products which the form the basis of the Play to have the Play yield a similar 5 star review...
I have to agree with this comment. It doesn't make any sense to mark the Play down compared to the 6000A. I know the Play is 300 quid more expensive but it contains the innards of the £399 6000N.

Of course all scores are subjective with a nod towards objectivity. If there is a device at the same price point that also combines stream and amplification that knocks the 6000A Play down a hotch at the the £899 price point we'd like to hear it.

Reactions: njprrogers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts