Audiocom doing DacMagic mods

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've just found this:

http://www.audiocom-uk.com/mod_inner.asp?id=82

So who's going to be first to bite the bullet?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone had a mod done to their DM yet? . Apparantly the standard op amps in it are found in lots of budget equipment,and are the weak link so I have read. I dont think my system justifies any mods but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has taken the plunge yet,

A

Anonymous

I would be intrigued to know whether these upgrades make a large difference too.

A

Anonymous

a.g.:I got the mod done and it is very good.

What would you say the upgrade has improved a.g.??

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Blunny89:a.g.:I got the mod done and it is very good.

Surely anything would help?

40_mutley.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, really good improvements giving the depth and clarity of high end sound.

Dealing with Mains conditioning problems inside the box rather than outside.

Was doing this sort of thing 20+ years ago, makes an amazing difference when you mod all your system.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site

Obviously impossible to do an A-B comparison but I remember when I first listened to it after getting it back thinking how much detail I was hearing that I'm sure I wasn't before. Soundstage is even bigger than before and the tonal balance is better (more warm). And it is just so incredibly engaging. It is a real joy to listen to.

A

Anonymous

It's an intriguing idea, but I don't think I would bother for these reasons:

1. My 5 year warranty would be out the window

2. Resale value wouldn't necessarily increase

3. If it came back and didn't work OR didn't sound any better you couldn't do much about it

4. Seems expensive for what it is

Just my thoughts

A

Anonymous

As upgrades go I don't think those prices are too bad. The opamps alone would cost over £40 from the cheapest non-bulk supplier I know. The main things that needs to be considered in my opinion are whether you're bothered about loosing your warranty and also the risk that you may not like the sound when it comes back.

I've recently been trying various opamps in a different DAC and the difference between makes and models can be quite large. I tried the ones Audiocom are using in this mod and while they certainly sounded more detailed than the original opamps (same as those in DACmagic), there were some qualities in the bass range that some people wouldn't like. I found other opamps to sound better in my DAC but others may sound better in the DACMagic. It's also worth noting that the opamps Audiocom use are some of the most well known for quality audio. So I would question whether the choice of these was because they gave the best sound out of a whole bunch they tried, or whether they just picked the ones people have heard of.

Personally I'd get Audiocom to do all the mods except the opamps and instead ask them to fit IC sockets in there place to make trying different opamps easier. You could then pick some you like. There is plenty of info online about which are good opamps to try. This has it's own problems though and I wouldn't reccommend it for the complete novice based on my recent experience.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

40_mutley.gif

you are naughty, chebby. but right.
emotion-4.gif

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:chebby:

Blunny89:a.g.:I got the mod done and it is very good. What would you say the upgrade has improved a.g.??

40_mutley.gif

emotion-4.gif

lol!

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I like the sound of the dacmagic as it is,especially the solid bass and timing,so anything that might change the bass not neccassarily for the better is not worth the risk I once had my first cdp modded(Rotel 965bx). The opamps where replaced with a discrete analogue stage, It gained a little more detail but it lost that big warm bass it was famed for,I thought it was a mistake.

A

Anonymous

davidearp:
I tried the ones Audiocom are using in this mod and while they certainly sounded more detailed than the original opamps (same as those in DACmagic), there were some qualities in the bass range that some people wouldn't like.

Hi, could you please elaborate on the changes to the bass? Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pmaninit:
It's an intriguing idea, but I don't think I would bother for these reasons:

1. My 5 year warranty would be out the window

2. Resale value wouldn't necessarily increase

3. If it came back and didn't work OR didn't sound any better you couldn't do much about it

4. Seems expensive for what it is

Just my thoughts

I agree. I would rather buy a new DAC if I felt the need.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:chebby:

40_mutley.gif

emotion-4.gif

It's very sad when people act like this. So you like your Beresford DACs. Great. And you think that the DacMagic is not that great. Great. I've not listened to the Beresford DACs but I love the sound of the DacMagic and would argue with anyone that it's not a brilliant product. I wouldn't however make snide comments about other, rival equivalent components. That's childish. AND last of all, even IF the Beresford is better than the DM, it wouldn't be by a million miles. Chebby, you act like your £120 box is up with the Chord DAC64 and similar!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts