Audio out from tv ok ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I really need some help with this as a newbee to the proper hifi world .

So i have a NAD 316 BEE amp and Roksan Kandy K2 speakers .

I have no cd's all my music /films are on portable hard drives which i use my WD Live to play them through hdmi lead to tv also my freesat in the same way .

Both of these have digatal outputs but as i only want stero sound i am using my tv out (in analog) to power my amp.

Is this ok or am i messing up the sound quality in some way ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Without adding any extra equipment, you're essentially connected up the best way possible. By adding an external DAC, you could connect your WD Live straight up to this via an optical cable, and connect the DAC into your stereo amp and this would improve music playback, as well as movie soundtracks. To get an idea of the level of improvements, why not book an audition in with a dealer and take your WD Live along - you can connect this up to a stereo amp via the same method you are now and then with the DAC and hear the differences for yourself. Ideally, you could find a dealer which also stocks your amplifier so you can hear exactly what you're getting, or look for somewhere who will offer you a home demo / trial.

I'm not saying you need to do this - if you're happy then don't worry. However, if you're looking for improvements, I'd think this is the best place to start.

NB - just re-read your equipment list - you have an interesting mix of amp and speakers! In the future, you probably want to look at upgrading the amplifier to fully take advantage of your Roksan speakers. However, I still think an external DAC is the best place to start to take your TV out of the equation for music playback.

A

Anonymous

@ Professorhat thank you very much indeed for your reply .

One of the main reasons i have posted is because i know i need to upgraade my amp to complement my speakers and just wanted to get it right when i do so .

I was looking at eiter the Naim Nait 5i or Roksan Kandy K2 but by the time i have brout them and a good quality external DAC i might as well save up and go for the Naim UitiQute.

Do you think this is the best way to go about it ? or is there a better alternative ?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the prof and your current thinking. There is definitely merit in a one box solution combining amp and dac. You could also consider something like the Harman Kardon HK 990.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts