Audio help for Sony BDPS790

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I would be grateful for some guidance please.

I have just taken the plunge and purchased a new Sony bluray (BDPS 790). Previously I had been using a PS3 as a bluray player but it was just too noisy and streamed terribly.

The new player has overcome both of these, so that is worth the money alone.

The issue I have is that I ran the PS3 into the tv (Sony) via HDMI but because the the tv only had digital out and not analogue stereo I use a CYP DAC that allows me to listen to tv and the PS3 through my hifi system.

The bluray player has a dedicated audio out that I could run direct into my amp. I should point out that I only listen in stereo and have no desire to go to 5.1 etc as music/hifi is my preferred pleasure. However, because my cable to the amp is sealed behind the skirting board, I only have that run at my disposal. Plugging the bluray into that cable direct will give me stereo when watching a film, but I will obviously lose the tv option.

Is there a gadget available that will enable me to run the tv and bluray player back to the amp using only the one cable run and potentially increase the quality of the sound from the bluray or is it only a negligable difference and I should stick with running the bluray into the tv, convert to analogue via the CYP etc?

Your thoughts would be very much apreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
It’s late, I’m tired, I’ve had a few beers, but I’m totally confused here.

Am I missing something obvious which says that you can’t connect your new BDP to your TV via HDMI (as you did with the PS3) and carry on as before? :?

Edit:

Told you it was late (and getting later! lol)

What I meant to say is that what’s confusing me is that you say your BDP has a “dedicated audio out”, so are you referring to the coaxial/optical outputs? Unless your amp has an inbuilt DAC to connect these to, then you’re going to have to run it through your CYP in any case.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sizzers said:
It’s late, I’m tired, I’ve had a few beers, but I’m totally confused here.

Am I missing something obvious which says that you can’t connect your new BDP to your TV via HDMI (as you did with the PS3) and carry on as before? :?

Edit:

Told you it was late (and getting later! lol)

What I meant to say is that what’s confusing me is that you say your BDP has a “dedicated audio out”, so are you referring to the coaxial/optical outputs? Unless your amp has an inbuilt DAC to connect these to, then you’re going to have to run it through your CYP in any case.

Yes I dont see your problem. If you only want stereo, keep your connections as before and just plug the blu-ray into another hdmi port on the tv.

Set the blu-ray to downmix to stereo and off you go. Dont bother with the so-called dedicated audio out.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for this.

You've totally given me the info I needed.

In the past I had run my old dvd player direct into my amp. At the time that did sound beter than via my tv, so I just wondered if there was any benefit in doing the same again.

It appears there isn't, so I'll just keep the BDP-HDMI-tv-DAC-amp combo in place and just enjoy what it it gives me.

Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts