Audeze LCD-2 Fazor Ed. Planar Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This was unexpected - a loaner from a stranger who wanted a third opinion on the LCD-2. It's a lovely bit of kit and it sounds as good as the price indicates.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I assume you've had no problems with the sockets?

I have the LCD-3, and although they sound fantastic I'm on my second pair, as the sockets for the jack plugs on the lead came loose after about a week! They were hanging down, only held by the wiring. There were faint traces of glue on the wood. The sockets are glued in, and without adhesion they fall out as it's only the glue holding them in, they are a loose fit and don't press in at all.

I got a replacement pair, and about two weeks later the right socket fell out! I contacted Audeze who said they'd never heard of the problem; also the UK distributors who said they'd heard of it happening a couple of times. I glued them back myself.

I don't know whether they had a problem with a batch of glue, but I couldn't find any reference to this when I did a Google search.

So yeah, great sound, I just have to keep a glue gun in reserve!

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
@ Electroman

I've never heard of that problem. Had my LCDs for over a year now and no problems. Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky.

Out of interest what amp are you using for the LCD3s?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
ElectroMan said:
I assume you've had no problems with the sockets?

I have the LCD-3, and although they sound fantastic I'm on my second pair, as the sockets for the jack plugs on the lead came loose after about a week! They were hanging down, only held by the wiring. There were faint traces of glue on the wood. The sockets are glued in, and without adhesion they fall out as it's only the glue holding them in, they are a loose fit and don't press in at all.

I got a replacement pair, and about two weeks later the right socket fell out! I contacted Audeze who said they'd never heard of the problem; also the UK distributors who said they'd heard of it happening a couple of times. I glued them back myself.

I don't know whether they had a problem with a batch of glue, but I couldn't find any reference to this when I did a Google search.

So yeah, great sound, I just have to keep a glue gun in reserve!

I inserted the plugs and removed them several times while testing, but didn't experience any sense of the jacks in the earcups being loose. If those jacks are glued in, then other than someone not finishing the job at the factory, I can only guess that the headphone might have been exposed to a chemical of some kind that weakened the glue.

EDIT: BTW, my sense from reading hundreds of reviews of the big planars is that HiFiMan has had a lot more QC issues than Audeze has had.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Electroman.

Have been thinking that I would reap the most rewards by upgrading my amp as opposed to anything else in the chain. Not that the Violectric is bad, far from it, it's a great match for the LCD2s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts