Attention to detail

Jitter

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I do feel a bit school masterish, but I'm often irritated by simple editorial errors in our beloved publication. Unfinished paragraphs I find particularly.

In the awards edition (or should that be awards' edition) there is an example of the sort of problem I often encounter. I wanted to look up price, comments etc on Grado Sr-125. So I looked in the Buyer's Guide Index (page 123 - although the page number isn't printed) It lists Headphones as page 199. I turn to 199 what do I get - Speaker Cable and Speaker Stands. Headphones are actually on page 203.

Sometimes I have to scan 10 pages before finding the article mentioned in the main index.

See me, you must do better

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Jitter

We're well aware of this. The problem arose because the index with the page numbers for the Buyer's Guide is printed on higher quality, glossy card and as such has to go the the printers well before the rest of the magazine.

In this instance we had a lot of last minute changes to the advertisements in the back of the magazine (it's our most complex issue because of the Awards), with layout changes being made AFTER the index page had gone to press, and this changed the flow of the Buyer's Guide pages. Unfortunately, there wasn't much we could do about this and hence the numbers on the index are slightly out of sync with the magazine pages.

It's called 'real world' publishing. We do our best to get everything right, but occasionally good old 'sod's law' kicks in I'm afraid. I'll give the production team a ticking off.

Sliced Bread

Andy Clough:I'll give the production team a ticking off.

Positive reinforcement is a much better motivator than negative reinforcement www.associatedcontent.com/article/160362/negative_reinforcement_vs_positive.html

How about giving them a nice BIG hug instead?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Think that would scare them witless!
emotion-3.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could always force them to read some HFN bench test data and see if any of them can make anything really work in real time. Innit.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:The problem arose because the index with the page numbers for the Buyer's Guide is printed on higher quality, glossy card and as such has to go the the printers well before the rest of the magazine.

I should plug my dad's buisness at this stage, especially in the current economic crisis; yet it's cold outside and I don't want to get my coat...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

It's not just the index, what about the Products of the Year? For example Style Speaker Packages - the KEF KHT3005SE get's it on page 65, but in the Buyer's Guide it's the 2005.3 that get the award; also, check the Surround Amps too, not good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts