Atlas's high-end Ailsa Achromatic speaker cable offers flagship tech at lower prices

Combat

Feb 4, 2022
Visit site
Do you really still support snake oil like this? I have to say that in this day and age where all if the top reputable reviewers on YouTube have distances themselves from cables it's really disappointing to see What HiFi continue to advertise cables when all of the blind testing evidence points to their being no improvement in sound.

Reactions: Johan Bottema

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
Do you really still support snake oil like this? I have to say that in this day and age where all if the top reputable reviewers on YouTube have distances themselves from cables it's really disappointing to see What HiFi continue to advertise cables when all of the blind testing evidence points to their being no improvement in sound.
It seems to be the way hi fi has gone more so in recent years in trying to get you to spend money in things like speaker cables, mains cables and even cable lifters. I saw something the other day where you get a clamp for your vinyl records for about £5000 claiming improved audio, you couldn't make this up. You can now spend as much on things like this or more than the actual hi fi equipment.

Friesiansam

Well my Pathos DAC/headphone amp, Focal headphones and alternative headphone cable cost me £2250 but, for £255 less I could buy a 3 metre pair of these speaker cables...

Oh BTW, Atlas's Asimi Luxe Transpose speaker cables can be had for £17,800 for a 3 metre pair, from Peter Tyson.

Last edited:
Reactions: doifeellucky

davidpurton

Feb 5, 2022
Visit site
What utter unsubstantisted pseudo science snake oil garbage! A cable has three things...resistance, inductance and capacitance. I'm not seeing any measurements because we know a decent low resistance cable costing a few quid a meter will do just as well. "Skin effect" is total nonsense at audio frequencies and the cable is just a part of a circuit anyway, amp to speaker. If changing your cable really does sound "different" you need to bin your rubbish amp! Sane people know all this of course, only the gullible who wear the cost of this garbage as a badge of honour will be taken in...the same people who are generally clueless, or don't care, about accurate sound reproduction..something I have been involved with since the 70's...

Reactions: Johan Bottema

Stujomo

Feb 7, 2022
Visit site
What utter unsubstantisted pseudo science snake oil garbage! A cable has three things...resistance, inductance and capacitance. I'm not seeing any measurements because we know a decent low resistance cable costing a few quid a meter will do just as well. "Skin effect" is total nonsense at audio frequencies and the cable is just a part of a circuit anyway, amp to speaker. If changing your cable really does sound "different" you need to bin your rubbish amp! Sane people know all this of course, only the gullible who wear the cost of this garbage as a badge of honour will be taken in...the same people who are generally clueless, or don't care, about accurate sound reproduction..something I have been involved with since the 70's...
Yep hifi is really has been ruined by snake oil companies and mags that supports this rubbish.

Stujomo

Feb 7, 2022
Visit site
It seems to be the way hi fi has gone more so in recent years in trying to get you to spend money in things like speaker cables, mains cables and even cable lifters. I saw something the other day where you get a clamp for your vinyl records for about £5000 claiming improved audio, you couldn't make this up. You can now spend as much on things like this or more than the actual hi fi equipment.
If I sold a cable for the kettle and claimed the tea would taste better people would laugh and call it out for what it is. If I sold a usb cable and claimed the inkjet prints would be better people laugh and call it out for what it is. For some reason these companies get a free pass.

T h e J u d g e

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
I have to say that articles like this completely removes any credibility this magazine might have had. Speaker cables are low frequency relatively high current items and can be made of pretty much anything conducting without any issues. No audio cables operate at high enough frequency for any dielectric or other effects, this is just ridiculous.

T h e J u d g e

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
If I sold a cable for the kettle and claimed the tea would taste better people would laugh and call it out for what it is. If I sold a usb cable and claimed the inkjet prints would be better people laugh and call it out for what it is. For some reason these companies get a free pass.

It's because some people like to think they are superior and can detect differences that mere mortals with sub-£50,000 hifis cant resolve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts