Atlas Titan All Copper 1m Interconnect or Merlin Verdi 1m Interconnect

drenco

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi ive recently seen both of these analogue interconnects discounted of late and was wondering which one produces the best quality of sound?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Can't speak for the Merlins, but as a recent owner of two pairs of Titans (last Tuesday in fact), I'm more than happy. They're more neutral than my previous Kimber Silver Streaks which are great cables but are on the lean side.

I took a blind plunge for the Titans after needing two pairs of matching I/Cs and the price reduction was just too good to ignore (£82 for each pair of 0.5m). I thought i could shift them on for not much of a loss if I didn't like them, They're not going anywhere.

A

Anonymous

drenco:Hi ive recently seen both of these analogue interconnects discounted of late and was wondering which one produces the best quality of sound?Neither will have any effect on the quality of the sound. I suggest you spend less, though. In my recent listen to cables ranging from free to 220? only one was slightly different, and that was a minor lift in volume presumably because its resistance was less than the others. The cable concerned was a Nordost, by the way.

A

Anonymous

You need to make your own judgement on the impact of these cables. Can you borrow a couple from a dealer? Failing that, buy the one that allows you to send back if not satisfied (if either of them).

A

Anonymous

Sadly our judgements can be faulty, though.

My initial reaction on hearing the aforementioned Nordost was that it was more open, better bass (minor degree but just audible). It was only after several listenings I realised what it was, and when I tweaked the volume a minute amount, found it sounded the same as the rest.

The other problem is that invariably we test products at higher than normal listening levels. My initial response was that all the cables (threw in the freebie later) sounded better than the ones I'd been using. However, when I included the old cable, and listening at the same volume level, I found it just as good.

It seems to me pointless to throw too much money at interconnects. All you need to do is to make sure what you have is well-made, and stop there.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but it is the equipment that makes the difference, not the interconnects.

A

Anonymous

You're very right Tarquinh, relying on personal judgement is dangerous ground indeed. Especially when you're expecting differences or want to hear changes.

I would add that ICs can have varying inductance, capacitance and impendance that (AFAIK) give rise to small differences in sound. I've tried a lot of cables in a single session with a friend and we found that some sounded the same, one or two sounded rather different. One had significantly more bass (CSP) and one was significantly brighter (Nordost Blue Heaven). The others were fine and we actually chose the cheapest at £25 to do the job.

The curve ball was the Nordost Baldur. This gave the bass of the CSP but better definition, and the highs of the Blue Heaven. Bummer at over £300 but my mate had it anyway. After a home demo the others didn't cut it when switching back.

One of the points of our experiments is that you ideally need to try a selection of cables from a dealer if you're sensitive to getting your system to sound right. Some people don't really care that much. Some cables won't sound very different. Some will.

For me and my experiences over the years, the Chord Chameleon Silver Plus is the cable of choice if you want a high performer with a natural sound. I love these cables, a real classic! The Chord Crimson is a fantastic allrounder at a budget price for those that are less concerned by the cable malarchy. I would throw in a recommendation for Silver High Breed cables too as I've really enjoyed their products at sensible prices.

(Tarquinh, I respect your views and have no intention of trying to change them. What better than to not need to think about cables for tweaking. I actually envy you.)

A

Anonymous

Now if only the current crop of popular amplifiers had sensibly (and by that I mean subtly) implemented tone controls we could all stop assing about attempting to adjust "system tonal balance" with cables. Yes of course different cables have differing capacitance, inductance and resistance what else could possibly account for the infinitesimally small "differences"? Fact remains a properly designed cable a) need not cost the earth and b) should neither add nor subtract in any significant way from the sound. The old Quad premise that the ideal amplifier was a wire with gain.

If you're happy to spend the cash playing around with cables and can "perceive" significant differences good luck to you. I'll stick with Chord Crimson IC's and Oddessey 2 speaker cables. Well at least until such time as I decide on which active speakers I want when I won't need speaker cable at all.

Lets face it the biggest effect of varying capacitance and inductance (and the distortion that goes with it) is in the filters (crossovers) inside your passive speakers. You either like the sound or you don't, just don't try and justify your views with pseudo scientific mumbo jumbo there really is no need.

Enjoy the music.

TRENDING THREADS