ATC not for me.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Picked up a pair of used ATC SCM19's, thought I'd give them a go as I've always wanted to compare the PMC's against a quality pair of standmounts.
So, out with the PMC's and in place were the ATC's. Fisrt impressions didn't overwelm me, they sound pretty good. Certainly more detail than the PMC's at lower frequencies and not as coloured at the bottom end.
Having played them for about a week, I came to the conclusion that they were a little fatiguing, so I brought down the PMC's and set them up as well. Kept swapping back and forth and I have to say the PMC's maybe a little more coloured, but the ATC's are a little bright with some recordings.
I removed the ATC and listened to the PMC's for a couple of days. They have a better tone too my ears, and I found that I could play everything without the sound becoming harsh.
Swapped again, and it took about 3 hours to decide that the ATC's are not for me.
I got them for a good price, so hopefully I won't lose much (if any) when I sell. I am glad that I tried them, as I have been reading all the glowing posts about these superb speakers. Now I can sit back and enjoy the GB1's and wait for some TB2I's to appear on the bay.
I am not saying these are bad speakers, they just didn't suit me.

A

Anonymous

Accuracy isn't always best. I enjoy a little colour in my hifi as it makes things more enjoyable and less of an information bombardment.

I'm toying with selling up and buying some AVI ADM9.1T but it's this whole accuracy thing that worries me.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
You are spot on igglebert, accuracy is not everything. I certainly prefer the warmth of the PMC's. I have heard that AVI is described as detailed and accurate, I don't think that is for me.

Good luck on the hifi journey.

A

Anonymous

Iggle do you live within striking distance of Bedford, mine aren't T'd but it will give you the idea of the sound.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just waiting for Rick to pop-in and tell you that you should have tried ATC SCM40s because that's where the ATC sound really starts
emotion-5.gif

I have heard a lot of the Primare i30 with DacMagic and ATC SCM11s. (Probably getting on for about 150 hours over the past year.) I agree with your impressions.

I have never heard the PMC GB1is compared head-to-head with the ATCs or heard them with Primare + DacMagic (all my GB1i encounters involved Naim systems), but I think I would choose them in preference to ATCs too.

A

Anonymous

Nick21:Iggle do you live within striking distance of Bedford, mine aren't T'd but it will give you the idea of the sound.
Nick21, good evening! Actually, I live within 10 mins of the A1 near Peterborough and that's a very tempting offer.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
chebby:
Just waiting for Rick to pop-in and tell you that you should have tried ATC SCM40s because that's where the ATC sound really starts
emotion-5.gif

I have heard a lot of the Primare i30 with DacMagic and ATC SCM11s. (Probably getting on for about 150 hours over the past year.) I agree with your impressions.

I have never heard the PMC GB1is compared head-to-head with the ATCs or heard them with Primare + DacMagic (all my GB1i encounters involved Naim systems), but I think I would choose them in preference to ATCs too.

Just goes to show that you can read all the reviews in the world, but what it comes down to, is listening in your own room. I am not saying the ATC are bad speakers, but I must admit I was a little underwhelmed after reading the numerous glowing reviews.

Each to their own.

chebby:
emotion-5.gif

Hi chebby

Are you referring to the original Rick?
emotion-5.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Iggs that's only about 35-40 mins. I've ordered the sub today so should be here Wed/Thurs your more than welcome, I have always enjoyed your opinions and I do think you have a lovely setup.

igglebert:Accuracy isn't always best. I enjoy a little colour in my hifi as it makes things more enjoyable and less of an information bombardment. I'm toying with selling up and buying some AVI ADM9.1T but it's this whole accuracy thing that worries me.

I know all about coloued sound...
emotion-2.gif

In saying that, I'm a little surprised to hear the ATCs can sound bright.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:Nick21:Iggle do you live within striking distance of Bedford, mine aren't T'd but it will give you the idea of the sound.Nick21, good evening! Actually, I live within 10 mins of the A1 near Peterborough and that's a very tempting offer.

Iggle, I'm near Stamford if your that side of peterborough. Welcome also.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
igglebert:Accuracy isn't always best. I enjoy a little colour in my hifi as it makes things more enjoyable and less of an information bombardment. I'm toying with selling up and buying some AVI ADM9.1T but it's this whole accuracy thing that worries me.

I know all about coloued sound...
emotion-2.gif

In saying that, I'm a little surprised to hear the ATCs can sound bright.

that's why i got rid of the dacmagic, just a bit of a bright edge with my atcs.

iggie, just do it
emotion-2.gif
seriously though, my cousin recently bought some and they are extremely good. i wasn't at all sure when i first heard them, but give your ears time to adjust to the sound and they really grow on you. they do sound a lot better with some volume up them though, could be borderline with party wall neighbours.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There is no substitute for listening, and I've said on many occasions that there's no one solution out there for everyone - we're all just too different.

chebby:
emotion-5.gif

Personally, I feel the SCM40's are the odd one of the bunch - they're awkward to match up to anything but their own amplification, sound too neutral and lacking musicality. But that's just my view (a couple of us here by the way), and feel the SCM19's are a far more enjoyable listening experience and provide a far better value for money speaker.

The DB1i and GB1i, while not my cup of tea, are a more lively listen at lower volumes, and produce a warmer, more acceptable sound for many. This is why we keep a large range of loudspeakers - they're all different, just like us. For me, I generally prefer KEF Reference, but that's not to say it'll suit everyone.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:There is no substitute for listening, and I've said on many occasions that there's no one solution out there for everyone - we're all just too different.

chebby:
emotion-5.gif

Personally, I feel the SCM40's are the odd one of the bunch - they're awkward to match up to anything but their own amplification, sound too neutral and lacking musicality. But that's just my view (a couple of us here by the way), and feel the SCM19's are a far more enjoyable listening experience and provide a far better value for money speaker.

The DB1i and GB1i, while not my cup of tea, are a more lively listen at lower volumes, and produce a warmer, more acceptable sound for many. This is why we keep a large range of loudspeakers - they're all different, just like us. For me, I generally prefer KEF Reference, but that's not to say it'll suit everyone.i dont agree with that at all david, i paired the 40's with a primare i30 and they sounded great together - they do sound better with the atc amp but its a much better amp than the primare in my opinion.I also feel the 40's are very musical - more so than the scm11's that i had before them,but to each his own i guess.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:... In saying that, I'm a little surprised to hear the ATCs can sound bright.
Cor, not 'arff! Demo'd some a couple of months ago - and IMHO they were sceechin' 'orrors, especially with classical. Painful!
emotion-3.gif

Horses for ...
emotion-5.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
fowler:i dont agree with that at all david, i paired the 40's with a primare i30 and they sounded great together - they do sound better with the atc amp but its a much better amp than the primare in my opinion.I also feel the 40's are very musical - more so than the scm11's that i had before them,but to each his own i guess.
Hence the 'we're all different' thing. I also prefer SCM20's to SCM40's as well.

A

Anonymous

ATC is simple - you are listening to the recording and your electronics. If it sounds bright you need to change them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jules153:ATC is simple - you are listening to the recording and your electronics. If it sounds bright you need to change them.

Or change the speakers as the OP did.

Easier than changing the rest of the system and the recordings* as you advocate.

*Just how do you change recordings? Do you mean dumping CDs and listening to different music that sounds good on ATCs? If so then that results in only buying music that the hifi 'likes' rather than what you like.

I have seen this first hand. A friend cannot find any of his favourite Queen albums that sound good on his ATC SCM11s. He barely plays anything by Queen anymore. (As I mentioned before, he also uses a DacMagic and Primare i30). There are some other old favourites he finds unplayable since getting the ATCs because of their recorded quality.

Far better (in my opinion) to have a system that makes all the music you like enjoyable.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
jules153:ATC is simple - you are listening to the recording and your electronics. If it sounds bright you need to change them.

Easier than changing the rest of the system and the recordings* as you advocate.

*Just how do you change recordings? Do you mean dumping CDs and listening to different music that sounds good on ATCs? If so then that results in only buying music that the hifi 'likes' rather than what you like.

I have seen this first hand. A friend cannot find any of his favourite Queen albums that sound good on his ATC SCM11s. He barely plays anything by Queen anymore. (As I mentioned before, he also uses a DacMagic and Primare i30). There are some other old favourites he finds unplayable since getting the ATCs because of their recorded quality.

Far better (in my opinion) to have a system that makes all the music you like enjoyable.

Yep exactly what I was getting at.

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
chebby:

No wonder they sound poor. ATC's are discriminating speakers and will not tolerate nonsense like Queen. I'm listening to Al Green at the moment on mine and they sound so happy. I think I'll make their evening with some Randy Newman to follow. Remember, garbage in .....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Well aren't you the Kool one Keith? (I always mistrust anyone who describes themselves as cool or - in your case - 'Kool'.)

So my friend's system should dictate his choice of music?

And learn how to use the quote function properly please. You have made it look in your post like I spouted your nonsense by slotting it in between parts of what I wrote.

You've been here long enough to have learnt how to by now.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby:

Without starting any arguments (took me a while to work out where the comments were in that last quote, not good
emotion-6.gif
) this is an interesting concept. Not saying you're wrong - but I think there could be some debate here.

The very idea of 'making music sound enjoyable' suggests expecting your system to change the recording in some way. ATC's history is based in the recording studio and the principles of their domestic gear is to be as faithful as possible (and subject to the rest of your system) to the studio recording.

Unofrtunately, this means if you've got a rubbish recording (can be old, can be new) it doesn't sound great. Since getting my ATCs there are a few 'old favourites' I don't like so much any more. Is this a bad thing? Maybe I only liked them cos I listened to them through a rubbish stereo / in the car. I don't know - but if it is a bad thing I would say it's more than made up for by the way the ATCs have managed to broaden my horizons - play something recorded well through them - any genre - and it sounds great - just as the recording engineer intended (IMO).

This is perhaps the second problem with 'making the music enjoyable' - unless your taste is fairly limited to a particular genre or two, the 'changes' that any speaker make (bass emphasis, smooth midrange, prominent treble, whatever) will work for some music but not for others. Whereas I think the ATCs will work for any genre, with a decent master.

Anyway, each to their own - I just want everyone to be happy with their own choice of system
emotion-1.gif

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
chebby:
Well aren't you the Kool one Keith? (I always mistrust anyone who describes themselves as cool or - in your case - 'Kool'.)

So my friend's system should dictate his choice of music?

And learn how to use the quote function properly please. You have made it look in your post like I spouted your nonsense by slotting it in between parts of what I wrote.

You've been here long enough to have learnt how to by now.

Sir, I think your mistake is in not realizing your stereo has a soul as surely as your dog or your mother-in-law. Treat it with respect & it will repay you many, many times over. Sorry, must rush, Monday night means Dionne Warwick, musn't make her angry. Yes, she is female, sort of a cross between Angie Dickenson and Lee Remick.

T

the record spot

You have a different taste, either that or you feed music you feel fits your system. Or you just don't like Queen. Either way, it comes across as snobbish, arrogant and presumptious. None of which are any good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts