ATC CDA2 - anyone got one?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey lads, has anyone actually heard the ATC CDA2 and used it as a DAC? There don't seem to have been any reviews since the release announcements months ago. Any impressions?

Hi Coys

Yes, i've got ATC's new CDA2. In fact it is the first production unit :)

Anyway, as with ATC's other products the CDA2's CD, DAC, pre amplifier and headphone amplifier simply reproduce soundtracks in a clean, precise, powerful and natural manner. With its unforced presentation the CDA2 is a very easy product to listen to for hours without fatigue.

It took ATC nearly six years to finish but the CDA2 was worth the wait :clap:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
So its a dac/pre and cdp all in one?

£2050 is a good price if it is and would save a few quid on going the seperates route.

Hi shooter

Yes, the CDA2 incorporates a CDP, DAC, Pre and headphone amplifier.

I hope the following is ok with WHF :) but as there is no information of the CDA2 on ATC's site yet -

Overview

The new CDA2 CD/Pre-amp/DAC is hand built by ATC Loudspeaker Technology in the UK. As ATC’s first source component the unit comes with added digital to analogue conversion and pre-amp facilities. The CDA2 is housed in a rugged yet elegant chassis, complimenting the rest of ATC’s range of outboard pre and power amplifiers.

The pre-amplifier design is taken from the company’s very successful CA2 pre-amp and uses discrete components throughout to give very low distortion and noise and an extremely wide and flat frequency response. There are two line level analogue inputs and two digital inputs. One analogue input is equipped for RCA/phono connections and the second RCA/phono and 3.5mm jack. Both digital inputs are equipped for coaxial and Toslink connectivity giving a total of 4 digital inputs. Fully differential (balanced XLR) and single-ended (unbalanced RCA/phono) outputs are provided for simple connectivity with a wide range of power amplifiers and active loudspeakers. The discrete output stage is capable of driving 9V r.m.s. (unbalanced) and 18V r.m.s. (balanced) into 100 ohms with no signal degradation allowing the use of long output cabling where required.

The discrete headphone output is specified to drive a very wide range of headphone sensitivities and impedances. It features very low distortion noise and extremely wide and flat frequency response for best possible performance.

The DAC utilises a Wolfson chipset and is compatible with 16 to 24 bit word lengths and sample rates up to 196kHz. Excellent digital clock recovery ensures signal integrity is maintained even with poorer quality digital sources and long cable runs between external sources and the CDA2.

The chassis is constructed from a combination of steel and aluminium and uses constrained layer damping to control panel resonances. The front panel is machined from an extruded section of 13mm/0.5” aluminium alloy with a brushed and anodised silver finish.

Billy Woodman, ATC’s Chief R&D Engineer comments, “the new CDA2 CD/Pre/DAC presents ATC customers with the potential for maximum input flexibility in a single unit, and all the audio and aesthetic benefits of a single brand system.”

Specifications
Pre-Amplifier
Maximum Output Level: Phono 9.2V r.m.s. XLR 18.4V r.m.s.
Line Input Sensitivity (For 2V Output): 640mV
Input Impedance: 13k8 Ohms
Output Impedance: 10 Ohms
Frequency Response (-3dB): < 2 Hz - > 280 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1 kHz <0.001% (-100dB), 10 kHz <0.0015% (-96 dB), 50 kHz <0.002% (94dB)
Crosstalk (10Hz – 20kHz): >90dB
S+N/N Ratio: > 97 dB (Wide band) > 105 dB (DIN) > 110 dB (IEC “A”)
Overload Capacity: 13dB
Absolute Phase: Phono Zero Degrees, XLR Zero Degrees, Pin 2 Hot
XLR CMRR (100Hz - 10 kHz): > 60dB

CD Player
Distortion: 1 kHz <0.002% (-94dB) 10 kHz <0.003% (-90dB)
Frequency Response (+/- 0.1dB): 20 Hz – 20 kHz
S+N/N Ratio: >100dB (IEC “A”)

Digital Inputs
Distortion: 1 kHz <0.003% (-90dB) 10 kHz <0.005% (-86dB)
Frequency Response (+/- 0.1dB): 20 Hz – 20 kHz
S+N/N Ratio: >96dB (IEC “A”)
Supported Word Lengths: 16 to 24 Bit
Supported Sample Rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz

The unit is supplied with an IR remote control. The CDA2 is covered by a six year warranty (1 year CD mechanism).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi shooter

Yes, the CDA2 incorporates a CDP, DAC, Pre and headphone amplifier.

I hope the following is ok with WHF :) but as there is no information of the CDA2 on ATC's site yet -

Thanks Rick, it's good to get a "heads up".

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Agreed Cno, and i cant think of any other product out there like it. Would be interesting to hear it at some point, something else i need to add to the list :evil:

Must say though, the voltage output looks high at 9.2v and 18.4v, normaly 2v and 4v for a dac. I wonder if that could cause some issues with partnering equipment.

Hi shooter

The CDA2 has no fixed line level output as such. The 9.2V and 18.4V are the pre amplifiers maximum output levels via its RCA and XLR terminals respectively. To output the usual 2V (via RCA) and i think 4V (via XLR) the volume control on the pre amplifier needs to be set at the 2 o'clock position as this is unity gain.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
stevenjonas said:
I am considering buying the ATC SCM20SL AT (active) speakers & I was looking at this too.

Forgive me for appearing stupid , but , if all of your other kit is made by AVI why are you considering buying speakers made by ATC ? I would have thought you would be thinking about some of AVI's own speakers . Or have you already heard them and decided against them ?

The reason that I ask is that prior to reading about the AVI ADM40s , the speakers that interested me most were the SCM20SL ATs for when , or if , I can afford to go down the active route . Since reading about them I have been having a rethink as the AVIs sound very interesting , and they look better .

I was just surprised to read your post and am curious to hear your reasons for going in this direction .

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
also very interested in hearing more about this device. Comparison with fellow competitors would be great, both the cheaper CDQ and the older DCS and Meintner DACs or the Audio Aero Capitoles.

Hope there`ll be more real-world infor regarding them.

reverendo

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
also very interested in hearing more about this device. Comparison with fellow competitors would be great, both the cheaper CDQ and the older DCS and Meintner DACs or the Audio Aero Capitoles.

Hope there`ll be more real-world infor regarding them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts