Assistance: Amp and Cartridge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I was recently burgled, my amp (Harman Kardon home theatre-esque vibe) was stolen, but my speakers (Polk Audi RTiA5) and turntable (Thorens TD160) were not - a measure of the burgler's brains I would imagine. So I need to replace my amp, and I am taking the opportunity to replace my cartidge too.

I only used my amp for its phono and aux (ipod/laptop) stages. So I'm thinking of replacing it with a Rega Brio-R (which is within my price range). I believe this means I will, at some stage, have to get a headphone amp - nothing too flash: I have the Marshall Majors, and would need something that suited them and the rest of my setup.

As for a new cartridge, I was thinking either the Goldring 2100 or the Ortofon 2M Red?

Any and all suggestions/criticisms would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I like my Goldring 2200 (extra £20 or so on the 2100, better stylus profile I believe) very much, but I've never tried the Red so I'm not much help in the comparison game. As to amps with decent phono stages what is your budget?

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got a 2M Black which is marvelous but would blow your budget hugely, however assuming that they have a "family" sound I doubt that you could go wrong

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
KeithT said:
I've got a 2M Black which is marvelous but would blow your budget hugely, however assuming that they have a "family" sound I doubt that you could go wrong

The Black is a great cartridge for detail, I have one that I dont use . . . up for grabs??? as well as a Blue. The blue and red have similar voices, the black is a whole new ball game of modern presentation :dance:

CJSF

A

Anonymous

Chebby - I'm using all the original TD160 components (TP16 tonearm). I've heard it's a great model to modify, a project I might undertake at some stage.

CJSF/KeithT - The 2M Black sounds great, although I'm sure that sticking it on my TP16 would be something akin to sticking a bumper sticker on a Bentley. Humour me though (in much the same way I am humour myself when I look at the price of a Bentley) - how much are you looking to flog them for?

Any take on the Rega Brio-R?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ninjamansam said:
Chebby - I'm using all the original TD160 components (TP16 tonearm). I've heard it's a great model to modify, a project I might undertake at some stage.

CJSF/KeithT - The 2M Black sounds great, although I'm sure that sticking it on my TP16 would be something akin to sticking a bumper sticker on a Bentley. Humour me though (in much the same way I am humour myself when I look at the price of a Bentley) - how much are you looking to flog them for?

Any take on the Rega Brio-R?

Personaly I would not be so sure the black would be out of place, but then what do I know . . . I only have a Sumiko Pearwood MC on a slightly modified, Rega P5. Its all about presentation, the black is modern, highly detailed, amazing top end . . . I prefer a warmer 80's sound, hence the black was outed.

If you want to discus email me on: cliford.stone@ntlworld.com

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
KeithT said:

I have the Blue and Black, and have experience of the Red, there is an obvious family sound between Red and Blue, however the Blue and Black are well apart, the sound connection is very tenuous IMHO?

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts