Are we holding back our budget hifi?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This thought stems from the interest and positive reviews for the Marantz M-CR603 and that it can really shine with some pricey speakers. Is this because as a total package it is quite exceptional, or are we generally underestimating the ability of our hifi?

Can my PM6002 amplifier be less capable than the all-in-one's amp? If not, then is it the source that helps the M-CR603 make speakers sparkle? As a source, given the unit's price, can it be much better than a good budget cd player?

And if its neither of the above, are our budget hifi's being held back by the speakers we use? Could we get much better performance out of speakers considered a couple of levels above what would normally consider for the price of the other components? (Above DM2/6's, 645's, EB1's, etc)

From the self-interest perspective, anyone with similar Marantz amps, what are the most expensive you've tried with good results?

John Duncan

I've always been a fan of spending loads on speakers, since I heard some mental (£5k or something) B&Ws on the end of a Rega Mira (in a shop).

That said, I've also found this week that even with £1k worth of loudspeaker, they can sound fantastic in one position in your room and absolutely terrible by moving them six feet.

So the question might be better put as "does it really matter how good our stereos are when our houses could be limiting their potential so much anyway?" ;)

matthewpiano

Some good points here. I would certainly agree that it is all too easy to strangle a system with speakers that aren't up to the job, and I think buying higher quality used speakers or spending more on new speakers above the budget norm can make a huge difference. For example, I've heard my Creek amp through several different pairs of budget speakers that I have, and whilst it sounded good through most of them, the sheer quality of the Mission 751s opens up a whole new level of performance.

I also think JD has a point. I've found, through much experimentation, that rear ported speakers don't work well in my room at all, wherever they are positioned. Front ported or sealed box designs work far more successfully (the 751s are front ported). This may be to do with the wall structure and/or materials but I know that no matter how much I pay for a pair of rear ported speakers, they just aren't going to sound anything like their best in my room. Room interaction is something that none of us pay enough attention to and it can make as much difference as the basic quality of the components being used.

T

the record spot

Indeed - the changes that made the biggest impact to my system were:-

1) New amp - the current Sansui AU-717

2) Moving the speakers around.

Nothing else came remotely close.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The way I look at putting very expensive on the end of a cheap system, is like buying a Ferrari to drive at 30 mph. It may be nice, but it isn't scratching the surface.

Cno

I would say that better speakers are the answer to an improved sound. However, one needs to draw the line - every system has its limitations.

Would I spend £2,500 on speakers with the Leema? Yes. Would I spend £2,500 with the Leema and my current sources? No.

I give an awful lot of credance to room acoustics, but significant improvements won't be heard if there's a huge imbalance between components.

So a quick example would be: Any component up to £1,000 I personally wouldn't stray beyond the £200 mark one way or the other. Even with the Leema I wouldn't realistically purchase speakers or a source above £1,500.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mightn't that just change the question to " are we holding back our high-end speakers?"

Any excuse for an upgrade
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:

coudnt agree more, my room will always have bass issues not matter what i have tried. I could spend £500 or 500k on a system and the results would still give me some bass problems.

Which is why I own a very good budget system.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
The best listening position for stereo audio in my room is around 4 yards from the speakers; but the recommended positions for SD and HD viewing of the TV between them are closer and waaay closer respectively. Fortunately my armchair has castors...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The Limey said:
the record spot said:

coudnt agree more, my room will always have bass issues not matter what i have tried. I could spend £500 or 500k on a system and the results would still give me some bass problems. Which is why I own a very good budget system.

you should try some parametric eq. my speakers include it and i have been able to totally cancel out a room mode using it.

i think the theory of expensive speakers with a cheap amp is fine, but the reality can be that the speakers are too difficult a load for a cheap amp. the worst sound i've ever heard was some dyn focus 110s on a c.a. 640 amp, the amp just wilted under the challenge.

A

Anonymous

I havent owned many speakers for my home audio systems. But when i was doing my car audio i had the same amp for about 2 years and was constantly adding and changing speakers. They make such a huge difference. Price isnt everything. When i eventually changed my amp the notice in upgrade (per £) compared to speakers was no where near as big.

I then preceeded to test all of the various speakers i had owned with my new amp, surprisingly a lot of the speakers that were best with old amp didnt really cut it with the new one.

Its all about balance IMO, find speakers & amps that match eachother and (more importantly) your personal taste in sound and music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts